idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I have an LGB 21360 Koln Streetcar and I wish to remove the roof to put some more passengers inside.
The instructions say (ref interior lights) "Interior lights: Remove the roof: Gently press the roof towards either end of the car and lift it off. Remove and replace the bulb."
I have tried gently and not so gently to do this. Nada. I have studied the exploded parts diagram and it appears to be clip fit (no screws) but it won't budge. I'm not sure if this applies to the whole roof or the raised part, but I have tried both. Has anyone done this and if so let me into the secret? With picture if possible.
Thanks.

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
The "Gently press the roof towards either end of the car and lift it off. Remove and replace the bulb" part definitely refers to the clerestory section (raised part). That includes the bulbs and some brass strips for the electrical connections.

That will allow you to add some more passengers (though perhaps not with their legs intact!).

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Seven that helps. I have tried that more than gently but it doesn't appear to be moving. How forceful do you have to be? Have you done it yourself?
Thanks, Dave

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Seven that helps. I have tried that more than gently but it doesn't appear to be moving. How forceful do you have to be? Have you done it yourself?
Thanks, Dave
There are location pips at each end & in the middle holding the top section of the roof onto the tram. Get a screwdriver & push the roof right behind the destination board level with the main tram roof. There is a little pip at both ends. Once you release one end the rest will follow.

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
There are location pips at each end & in the middle holding the top section of the roof onto the tram. Get a screwdriver & push the roof right behind the destination board level with the main tram roof. There is a little pip at both ends. Once you release one end the rest will follow.
Take the text above and look at the pictures, please. I take a screw driver and make it a bit softer with a citchen roll paper, because the clips ot the front sides are a bit stronger cliped in the holes.

DSC02766.JPG

At the moment I have these three fragments of my tram fleet. The will be uesd for making other tram, may be one or two work tram or what ever they will be.

DSC02769.JPG

First of all try to remove the cable connections.

DSC02763.JPG

The clips you see above have to be pushed inwards. (They are a bit strong)

DSC02762.JPG

Start with one of the front sides. The other side, it is easy to do. In the middle of that roof part are two smaler clips. They are fitting underneath the lower roof part.

DSC02761.JPG

Than you hold the upper part of the roof in your hands.

DSC02760.JPG

This is the complete open view to the seats. If you put more passengers to it, you have to remove their legs. The only chance to put them with legs into the car is in four corners.

Hope you understand my Kraut/English

Peter

Last edited:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Don't feel stupid Dave. When I first tried to remove the roof from an LGB tram, I thought the entire roof was supposed to come off. I looked and pulled and tried to insert a screwdriver in-between what I thought was the separation point. Quite by accident, I pulled on the clear story section and guess what, off it came to my surprise.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Mike and Peter (Ihr Englisch ist Gut, danke) for posting the photos. That makes it very clear what I have to do. And Dan for the moral support! :)

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Success! Once I knew what I had to do I knew I could use a bit more force and the lid finally came off.
IMG_0224.JPG

And I got the main roof off. Much easier now. Thanks everyone.

IMG_0226.JPG
The build quality of the tram is excellent (as expected for LGB).

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
If I recall, the main roof is held in place via screws from underneath of it. How did you access those screws ?

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
If I recall, the main roof is held in place via screws from underneath of it. How did you access those screws ?

These screws appear with the front window tram only with the front window tram. The Tram. What is shown above has no front window. To reach the screws for the roof: look underneath the car. You see at the front part two screws on each corner. Remove these. Than the front panel with cables for the lights come off. The window frame (with ") is clipped into the drivers stand. Remove the nose clip carefully, because they like to break “glass" part easily. If have done that, you see the screws fitted into the roof clearly and can remove them.

Here are the pictures about that. Is has no screws, I don't have them all yet.
DSC02770.JPG

DSC02771.JPG

DSC02772.JPG

DSC02773.JPG

Peter

Last edited:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Peter. I didn't know that you had to take the entire tram apart to get the main roof off.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I am quickly learning that Peter is the expert in trams! :) I don't have a tram with a front window. The tram I have does not have any screws holding the roof on, mine just unclips as per Peter's earlier posting; it has clips along each side.

To remove the body requires you to undo four screws underneath (red arrows show 2 of the 4) which you can just about get to without taking the bogie out, but it's easier if you do. You have to release the cable providing the power to the roof lights, seen dangling over the grey motor box, by sliding out the front glazed panel (indicated by blue arrow) upwards.IMG_0227.JPG .
The exploded parts diagrams help, you can get them here:
http://www.onlytrains.com/model/railroad/MAN.html

Andrew B. Middleton

Registered
22 Jun 2016
Beechworth VIC 3747
Best answers
How will you be able to insert any more "passengers" into the saloon area now? The motor casing takes up almost all the space where the seats should be! Why is the motor unit so bulky in 1:22.5 scale? Has anyone out there made his own mechanism which leaves the "passenger" area clear or nearly clear for seats?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
How will you be able to insert any more "passengers" into the saloon area now? The motor casing takes up almost all the space where the seats should be! Why is the motor unit so bulky in 1:22.5 scale? Has anyone out there made his own mechanism which leaves the "passenger" area clear or nearly clear for seats?
This Koln Tram was the first and possibly only so DCC Fitted Tram that LGB (pre Marklin) made. Many of the LGB Trams came fitted with passengers that have sadly had their legs part amputated. To be honest from normal viewing point it is barely noticeable. There is however space for Passengers with legs to sit at the end of the saloons. To be honest I have had LGB Trams since 1983 or so and never noticed this issue before, says much for my powers of observation!
JonD