SOLDERING AID

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Good idea Ross....

DoctorM

Interests: Manifold
2 Jan 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
And your third hand holds the solder, right?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
DoctorM said:
And your third hand holds the solder, right?

'Tin' the wire and led lead and then you dont need to hold the solder.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Would pepermint chewing gum qualify as blue tack :rofl: That is after softening in the usual manner :happy:

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Perfect. :happy:

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Madman said:
Would pepermint chewing gum qualify as blue tack :rofl: That is after softening in the usual manner :happy:

YUK!

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Fine but how do I not 'cook' the LED/transistor?
Either I do that or end up with a cold soldered joint.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A bigger soldering iron for a shorter time period. You need to get heat very quickly into where you want it, and then stop. 'Tinning' helps for a quick job.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
stockers said:
A bigger soldering iron for a shorter time period. You need to get heat very quickly into where you want it, and then stop. 'Tinning' helps for a quick job.

It also helps not to be kack-handed.:crying:

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
soldering is witchcraft. thats my excuse anyway.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
As Alan says, use the right sized soldering iron - not too large or too small, my medium size 15 watt does the job fine. Tin the wire and the LED leads first then bring the two pieces together and heat both until the solder melts - half a second to one second should be plenty for small components like this.

If you're particularly worried about too much heat getting to the LED, use a heat-shunt at the base of the lead - something like a bulldog clip can work quite well.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
When I teach soldering, I always tell my students to count to 3.

If the solder hasn't melted for a good joint during that time, then remove the iron bit from the work, otherwise you could damage the component.

As others have commented, tinning the iron, the component leads and the tag or pcb 'land' will help....

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
When I teach soldering, I always tell my students to count to 3.

If the solder hasn't melted for a good joint during that time, then remove the iron bit from the work, otherwise you could damage the component.

As others have commented, tinning the iron, the component leads and the tag or pcb 'land' will help....

All of what has been said is excellent, appreciated advice and I have followed all of it in the past.
I even have an adjustable heat iron!
Apart from LEDs and transistors I cope.
My best results have been with a small butane gas iron but the last time I needed it it was out of gas.
Result? Cooked LED.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
I managed a good one soldering today. Picked up the wrong tranny and wondered after soldering why the flasher would not work! Win some..loose some! More haste..less speed.:rofl:

I can do that for you! :rofl:

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
KeithT said:
ROSS said:
I managed a good one soldering today. Picked up the wrong tranny and wondered after soldering why the flasher would not work! Win some..loose some! More haste..less speed.:rofl:

What, pick up the wrong tranny? You'll be thinking of contributing to an LGB forum soon! :rofl:

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
More top tips for soldering.

Make sure the component is clean. If you don't use a resin cored fluxed solder, then apply the appropriate flux (dependant on the metal you are soldering; Carrs do a range available at your model shop).

Put the flat surface of the bit of your solder iron under your component lead, and apply the solder (wire) from above.

Heat rises, and the solder flows better if aided by gravity.

Might be obvious to most, but you'd be surprised as to what I've seen....

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Neil Robinson said:
KeithT said:
ROSS said:

What, pick up the wrong tranny? You'll be thinking of contributing to an LGB forum soon! :rofl:
Perish the thought! :clap:

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
I got a soldering station from Maplin a while ago, cost about £70, but in my eyes worth every penny. It has adjustable temp and easy to change tips, coupled with the power to solder to brass rail. http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module?ModuleNo=218050 It takes about 15 secs to reach temp, which is great when you're busy or soldering bits with time gaps inbetween, allowing you to switch it off and save some electric.
I have a set of 'helping hands', which make life easier, but the blue tack idea sounds great!

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Cheeky Monkey said:
I had an adjustable soldering iron from Maplins it was good but the I bought a butane one threw the adjustable away as I never used it again

Gas its the future

I did it t'other way round &: but I will revert to the gas one. It is small but perfectly formed (Remind you of someone?)
Reminder to self - get a refill canister PDQ.