Snow and track plow

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
I have been working on this RhB snow and track plow for some time now and it is starting to come together. The plow is missing lights at the top and a few other details, and a few brushes with matt paint.

d6d68bef600041089a9a91040754df92.jpg

The plow is shorter than the original to be able to run smaller radiuses, it will go around R1, but with some friction. Didn't have any drawings of it, made it from pictures and a lot of dimensions are quite a lot off.

Wheels with power pick-up, buffers, brake hoses and couplings are LGB parts, the rest is scratch built.

- Loco -

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
That looks great, are you planning on trying to use it in snow, or is it a true model?

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
Not a true model, it is far from that ;). I plan to test it in the snow, but I fear the weight will be insufficient for any heavy work. The wagon is made of primarely wood with metal plows. I did add lead in the two hydraulic cabinets on top of the wagon to give it some more weight. Since I don't have a scale yet I cannot say the excact weight, it doesn't feel heavy enough. I believe a snow plow should weigh in the region of 1,5 - 2,5 kg to be able to do a good job.

The original wagon is used for clearing snow up to 1 meter, which is 45 mm in scale. It's going to be fun to see if it works.

- Loco -

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nice one!

I keep meaning to ask you about the loco in your avatar....

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
Wow! top model, you obviously have spent a great deal of time building it, maybe a bit delicate to use it on the real stuff though....

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
The loco in the avatar is a scratch built version of the Ta 1/2, a small tractor which runs on battery and is being used by RhB (Rhaetian Railway) in their maintenance facility at Landquart. As far as I know, it is only used indoors for moving wagons to a maintenance or service station. Max speed is only 3,9 km/h :D and the length of the original is about 3 meters.

The "Ta 1/2" refers to:
T = tractor
a = battery operation (a=akkubetrieb in German)
1/2 = one of two axles is powered

- Loco -

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
A picture from earlier in the process, in front of a loco.

b76adbb5b4054522821e715cb77dfb73.jpg

- Loco -

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Fantastic modelling a really lovely looking plow :clap: