Smoke!

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
trevs units look great.

I bought 2 proportional heng long units off ebay for 18 bucks plus postage, which arrived last week.
They work, and work well.

They do not need , as far as my testing shows, a step down, but can go right into the track , seem to be bi-directional, and, begin to puff and smoke around 6-7 v, and see to really do well around 12-14. I would guess this is about the limit, otherwise while they run and smoke profusely, there is a burnt odor, and I think they would not do well at sustained higher voltage, unless there was a step down or voltage limiter.

They do get warm, in fact very warm with prolonged running, and i will leave space between it and any plasitic shells or walls, and the pistons sometimes need over voltage to get started which then can be reduced and keep running.
they also vary a bit in the amount of smoke out put, but work nicely in any event, from my two samples.

I have not noticed a particular favor of the unit regarding polarity, although start up of the piston seems easier one way than the other, but once running this is negligible.

Plan on putting the first into my Schoema-they are compact,
and while not as nice as trevs, they are easy peazy.

they have dual exhaust ports, which can be connected by vinyl clear tubes to exhaust ports on a model tank.

I find the shorter the distance between the smoke unit port and final exhaust on the model the better the smoke works, otherwise it seems to cool and collect in the tube a bit.

using only one smoke outlet port, while plugging the other, seems to add to output pressure.

ill let you know once I get it installed and run it -don't know if it will burn out or what, but they have a great effect when they do work and at 12 volts or so.

cheap enough to risk a burn out, but as I tend not to run over about 10 volts for the most part, they may well last

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Anyway I'm going to push on.... From my experiments I need around 5 Watts (as the operating voltage drops the current increases) to get the clouds of smoke I desire. I'm not meaning to deride the commercial units but they do tend to produce a rather odd effect, then again the Heng Long units look super as a diesel exhaust on a shunter or a railmotor...
There is no reason this cannot be miniaturised to utilise say an old Humbol Enamel tin on its side and replace the top with the axial fan...
I'm using a 25mm fan as they are cheap, $2.80 post free for 2. There are smaller fans available and even microscopic centrifugal blowers but the price rises dramatically eg a 15mm fan is $18 ea and a 12mm fan is $23 ea. As I'm strictly analogue I'll have to forgo the "smart" programmable units... The big advantage is that making your own is firstly very satisfying and secondly you can custom make it to suit your own operating voltage.