Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
  • 178 posts

Small rural station and freight depot

Posted by chocho willy on Thursday, July 26, 2018 5:09 PM

Sometime ago I decided I needed to build a small rural station along with a freight house combo, Started with a Korber station and added a waiting platform with roof provided from part of a aristo-craft waiting platform. I wanted the roof between the station and platform to continuous, (it rains a lot in Florida), and I ripped 1 side of the roof long ways and then cut into 2 equal lengths trying to match the shake roof shingles as best as possible. I found the original rafters from the waiting platform matched the same angle as the roof on the Korber station. I then added the rafters, and posts to hold up the roof from evergreen styrene and finished the bottom of the roof support post using Playmobil railing and corner pieces. I attached the building and support posts to a piece of PVC lumber that comes textured on 1 side and smooth on the other. Was originally going to cut planks into it but after a short planning section, nixed that idea for the trouble and work not worth the reward. The roof of the station is removable to access the LED light batteries and there is a small slide switch under the eve that works the lights of which there is 1 in the station and 2 in the platform area. The original station was a pretty bright hot yellow so I painted it and ivory color with red trim reminiscent of the old station in National Gardens, Fl.
Next on to the freight house. I had a Playmobil safari add on kit which included supports, railings, posts with floors and ramps + steps. I finally came up with a design that looked reasonable, added part of a broken Bachmann boxcar for the building. Covered up the Playmobil flooring as it was large tile with evergreen grooved sheet to simulate wood planking and gave it a wood look with acrylics. Found 1 of my monogram car mechanics and made him painting the roof where rotting wood was replaced. Added bolt castings to large timbers going around the structure. Also besides raining a lot down here it is hot, so I found some cyclone turbine roof vents, they were marked as "O" scale but they looked big enough to me. Back in the 40ths and 50ths you saw them on everything and during the winter they would be covered up with plastic sheeting or hoods. Nothing like the sound of 1 in much need of lubrication in the middle of the night. Still have some more detail to do but pretty much done. I lite the freight house with a out side goose neck lamp that I replaced the bulb with an LED and is powered by 2 AAA batteries that are housed in a battery box with switch that is painted like a steamer trunk. Bill

Reactions: 10 users

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Very nicely done - everything fits together well and it all looks right.

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Wow. Love it .

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Brilliant

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good Bill.....looking forward to seeing more and maybe some "how to's" you developed!........tom

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good Bill.....looking forward to seeing more and maybe some "how to's" you developed!........tom
QC, most of the posts I have done I give a little synopsis as to how the project was done, I try not to get too technical as it sometimes boars people, but if you come up with ? about a build just ask and I will try and answer you more specific, Bill

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Bill,just found this,cracking little depot,:clap::clap:

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yep,sweet n sassy;);););)

Paulus

Registered
13 Jan 2012
Best answers
Love it! You made some great details, like the guy painting the roof. Can the station be outdoors all the time or do you store it?

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
It's inside right now cause I don't have a layout any longer but all my buildings are made from plastics and covered with UV protectant and other than some fading I've nod no problems. I have 4 or 5 that are in the to be train area equipped with Solar LED's and it's fun to watch them come on and shut off at different times, the guy painting the roof is a monogram auto mechanic figure that I had left over from the good old days
Love it! You made some great details, like the guy painting the roof. Can the station be outdoors all the time or do you store it?
Thanks Bill

Reactions: 1 user

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I love the guy on the roof too. Great job!

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Paulus, like your station as well, see we are both kit bashing cheap Led's. How do you like your rail boss, I'm trying to find a system to install in my mason bogie project and there, isn't much room and sort of wanted it to be self contained and their components seem small the only thing that I'm not hot on is their whistle sound, Bill

Paulus

Registered
13 Jan 2012
Best answers
Thanks Bill, so we are indeed ;-)
To be honest I use the railboss just for running and not for the sound or light control options (yet).
At the moment I encounter some little problems but that is perhaps caused to my lack of knowledge / beeing able to operate the RC correctly I supose...
The railboss has a 'momentum' so it starts and stops slowly and realistic You can choose for 'momentum or just plain stop/go but I did not succeed to switch back to the plain stop/go option. So I only have momentum. Also I can not adjust the speed right. It goes from stop slowly to full speed and from full speed slowly to stop. I can not run it slower than full speed only by switching the receiver of at the desired speed. This must be caused by wrongly calibrating the transmitter but I did manage to fix it... :-(
As I like the trains just running around it is not a great problem for me, but if you want to make shunting operations it is not very handy this way.
For the same reason (just running the trains making their rounds) I like the ' critter controls' from railboss very much. They are easy to control (manualy, no RC) and fit in almost everywhere.

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Bill, so we are indeed ;-)
To be honest I use the railboss just for running and not for the sound or light control options (yet).
At the moment I encounter some little problems but that is perhaps caused to my lack of knowledge / beeing able to operate the RC correctly I supose...
The railboss has a 'momentum' so it starts and stops slowly and realistic You can choose for 'momentum or just plain stop/go but I did not succeed to switch back to the plain stop/go option. So I only have momentum. Also I can not adjust the speed right. It goes from stop slowly to full speed and from full speed slowly to stop. I can not run it slower than full speed only by switching the receiver of at the desired speed. This must be caused by wrongly calibrating the transmitter but I did manage to fix it... :-(
As I like the trains just running around it is not a great problem for me, but if you want to make shunting operations it is not very handy this way.
For the same reason (just running the trains making their rounds) I like the ' critter controls' from railboss very much. They are easy to control (manualy, no RC) and fit in almost everywhere.
Thanks so much for the reply, still looking into other options but component size is important because of room in the Mason Bogie is limited, Thanks again, Bill

Attachments

• MB boiler painted side view.JPG
    MB boiler painted side view.JPG
    489.4 KB · Views: 0

Paulus

Registered
13 Jan 2012
Best answers
Bill, their new RailBoss 4 seems to be much smaller as the RailBoss Plus I have. See: RailBoss 4 R/C
Also, it looks like the controler/transmitter is way easier to operate than the standard 'two sticks' transmitter I use. For sound I think the only challenge will be where to place the speaker in the Mason Bogie.
Great looking locomotive btw!

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Bill, their new RailBoss 4 seems to be much smaller as the RailBoss Plus I have. See: RailBoss 4 R/C
Also, it looks like the controler/transmitter is way easier to operate than the standard 'two sticks' transmitter I use. For sound I think the only challenge will be where to place the speaker in the Mason Bogie.
Great looking locomotive btw!
cab roof seems to work well did my 2010 stanza that way before I bashed it