Slowing down Thomas (TCS T1 decoder, LGB univ remote programmer)

mikesilky

Registered
23 Mar 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
I have put a TCS-T1 decoder in my Bachmann Thomas. This is the first decoder install I've ever done (apart from plugging in decoders to LGB's "direct decoder" sockets) and I was pleasantly surprised with how smoothly it went. Unfortunately I now have a HST (High Speed Thomas) on my hands, and need to put the brakes on it a bit, otherwise the kids will have great fun sending him full speed round corners and flying off the track!

The only means of programming the decoders I have is my LGB universal remote (serial). I know this isn't ideal, but I have successfully used it to program the loco number of Thomas, and set CV29 to 5 (14 speed steps, plus reverse direction).

To program the loco number, at the P -- display on the remote, I did 1 6 > then Thomas moved slightly to indicate that the programming had happened.

To program CV29, I followed what the manual told me to - 6 29 > (move) 5 5 > (move), and that worked fine. So far, so good, Thomas now goes in the right direction and has the right loco number.

Now, the documentation for the T1 decoder seems to say that the easiest way of slowing Thomas down will be to set CV2, CV6 and CV5 for the low/mid/high speed respectively, using a value between 0 and 255. However, every method I have tried of setting these CVs hasn't worked. I've tried setting them directly (in the same style as setting the loco number, as somewhere I found on Google said that it was possible to set CVs 1-6 using the serial system directly) and via the CV6 (select CV) and CV5 (value for that CV) method.

Most of the time, when I've tried setting these CVs, I've ended up rendering Thomas immobile, thus requiring me to do a factory reset via 6 8 > (move) 5 2 > (move) which fortunately works fine!

Where am I going wrong? Help!

Should I be asking for something better to program my decoders for Christmas? :)

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
mikesilky said:
Should I be asking for something better to program my decoders for Christmas? :)

er.. yes, buy a SPROG programmer and use the free JMRI software to program just about any decoder.
http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk/

Then you'll be able to use something like this to set the CVs:
be5f5cdb87b340ecaac4faaaf66deab2.jpg

Much much much easier!
(btw, I'm in no way suggesting those values in the piccie are what you should use - I just moved some sliders about to illustrate!)

Sorry can't help with how to do this stuff on an LGB Universal Remote.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I will second the suggestion that a Sprog would make a very useful and affordable Christmas pressie for anyone using any make of DCC - much better than socks or another jumper.... ;)

Jon.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Well I have to say firstly I've no experience of TCS decoders or programming with MTS.

It seems very odd to me that you can successfully program CV29, loco number and decoder reset, but not CV2, CV5 and CV6.

It also seems odd that you can render the decoder inoperable just by trying to program it.

Possibly there is some problem here with the decoder that another way of programming it isn't going to fix. Before splashing out on a Sprog I'd take Thomas to a mate?s house, or possibly a dealer in DCC, to see if they can program it.

Do you have sound or lights fitted, if so I'd make sure they were all off before trying to program.

Where in SE London are you? Possibly I'm not too far away and could try and help you?

I have to agree that a Sprog would be much more fun to play with at Christmas than any pair of socks, yes even musical ones!

mikesilky

Registered
23 Mar 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
Cliff George said:
Well I have to say firstly I've no experience of TCS decoders or programming with MTS.

It seems very odd to me that you can successfully program CV29, loco number and decoder reset, but not CV2, CV5 and CV6.

It also seems odd that you can render the decoder inoperable just by trying to program it.

Yes, it does seem odd... this is why I'm convinced I'm doing something daft (wouldn't be the first time!)

One possibility is that there's some odd interactions going on between the CV6/CV5 method of programming that the MTS universal remote uses, and the decoder.

Cliff George said:
Possibly there is some problem here with the decoder that another way of programming it isn't going to fix. Before splashing out on a Sprog I'd take Thomas to a mate?s house, or possibly a dealer in DCC, to see if they can program it.

Do you have sound or lights fitted, if so I'd make sure they were all off before trying to program.

Where in SE London are you? Possibly I'm not too far away and could try and help you?

There's no sound or lights at the moment, probably ever, as I suspect the kids will have grown out of Thomas by the time I get around to fitting them!

I've got a friend coming over sometime soon who has some slightly less ancient DCC kit who might be able to help. I'll bear in mind your offer of help though, it's much appreciated!

Cliff George said:
I have to agree that a Sprog would be much more fun to play with at Christmas than any pair of socks, yes even musical ones!

I always get more socks for Christmas each year than I can possibly get through in 12 months! I'm convinced a Sprog is the solution to my ever-growing sock mountain :)

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I have recently fitted an LGB decoder into an old version Bachmann Lyn.
Like your Thomas the loco's max. speed was way too fast with the factory decoder settings.
All I needed to do was reduce CV5 from 255 to 150.
My programming module allowed me to see the resultant speed curve as a graph, this showed a steady increase all the way to a maximum of about half the previous value. In other words in my case I didn't need to alter CV2 or CV6 to get the required result.
As you are able to perform a reset it may be worth you trying to alter CV5 only and see what happens.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
On MTS, CV2 is the Starting Voltage, and CV5 is the Max Voltage with CV6 not being used, so this could be where things are going awry.

Try setting CV2 = 5 and CV 5 = 150 and ignore setting CV6.

Might work, might not....

mikesilky

Registered
23 Mar 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
On MTS, CV2 is the Starting Voltage, and CV5 is the Max Voltage with CV6 not being used, so this could be where things are going awry.

Try setting CV2 = 5 and CV 5 = 150 and ignore setting CV6.

Might work, might not....

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give it a go on the weekend.

Failing that, I've asked Santa for a Sprog for Christmas :)