Slaters 16mm wheels on 45mm axles?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Greg, you are overthinking this. If the wheels are 40mm back-to-back and metal, then they are no different from LGB metal wheels in the possibility of causing a short. Clearly if you were intent on using washers as Eric tried, you would file the outer rim to the right diameter and the washer and flange to the correct back-to-back. However, as I said, trying to file 4 wheels to similar profiles on a drill in a vise is not likely to produce a good result, and why bother as there are so many wheels available that will work without washers or filing.
No, you are underthinking this ( :giggle: ;)).

My point is about the flange thickness with adding a washer to an existing flange.

The flange occupies the space between the non-moving rail and the moving rail.... if you increase the thickness of the flange a lot, you run the risk of a short in track power.... more metal in less space... the wheel "assembly" could touch both rails at the same time.

By the way, this is the classic short in a switch, the moving points are "hot" and the derailment causes a wheel to contact the wrong rail.... think about it...

Greg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
By the way, this is the classic short in a switch, the moving points are "hot" and the derailment causes a wheel to contact the wrong rail.... think about it...

Greg
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt :nod::nod::nod::nod: - not by messing about with wheel thicknesses but with point blades set too far apart :oops::oops: ..... same result.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
this is the classic short in a switch, the moving points are "hot" and the derailment causes a wheel to contact the wrong rail.... think about it...
I never think about it - I have been running battery deadrail for years.

I don't disagree with your analysis - I was merely suggesting that if I was adding a washer, the whole thing would have to be re-profiled so the flange wasn't a lot thicker than it should be. I never actually thought Eric would find a washer the right size and try it! :shake:

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
A little confused... if you are adding a washer, you are doing it to increase the back to back, then that implies the washer is the new "back" of the wheel, so I guess you mean grinding off the original flange and using the new washer as the new flange... essentially you are increasing the tread width... I see, that would work... now I get what you are thinking...

Greg