Skuse Hillside Light Railway - Video of the first ‘official’ running!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So after all that, I am taking the reference to crossover to be the diamond crossing in this picture:

(yes I am indeed anal).

So now I can comment on the layout, my original intent: While that track configuration is inventive and imaginative, it is not very good operationally, and uses space on a track that could have more storage space, by having to leave the diamond area clear.

The "S" curve out of the switch leading to the diamond is not great, and it appears the alignment between the curved track and the diamond is not great either.

I'd pull that switch and the diamond and wait for a better usage. if you wanted you could use that right hand switch on the "outer" curve to make 2 sidings from one.

129100_dc450890e9447e6611971aa4cdca2ec2.jpg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Must be a terminology difference... here in the US a crossover is the switches that connect 2 parallel tracks, those closest to you in the picture.

A crossing is normally called a "diamond" in the trade, to keep it from being confused with a road crossing the rails. A diamond can be seen on the right track just past the crossover.

So, in the UK crossover = US diamond.... if so, what is the track configuration called a "crossover" in the US?

(pardon the pneumatic hoses on the track)

P1020304.JPG
Greg, nice track configuration, but...how do get the stock to stay on the curve at the back?

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
When looking for one of the "diamonds" back about a year ago I found that most manufactures referred to them as crossings or cross overs and switches were called switches or turnouts, by both American and overseas manufactures seems like there is no consistencies among the people who make them. So what does that tell you, beware what you are buying and ask for a picture cause who knows what they are

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
So after all that, I am taking the reference to crossover to be the diamond crossing in this picture:

(yes I am indeed anal).

So now I can comment on the layout, my original intent: While that track configuration is inventive and imaginative, it is not very good operationally, and uses space on a track that could have more storage space, by having to leave the diamond area clear.

The "S" curve out of the switch leading to the diamond is not great, and it appears the alignment between the curved track and the diamond is not great either.

I'd pull that switch and the diamond and wait for a better usage. if you wanted you could use that right hand switch on the "outer" curve to make 2 sidings from one.

129100_dc450890e9447e6611971aa4cdca2ec2.jpg
with Greg on the right hand switch feeding the diamond, crossing, crossover, try going back to the switch coming from the main line and in place of the curve there add a left hand switch and move the diamond closer to the feed switch (away from the cars, have the new left hand switch feed the diamond this will get rid of the S curve and give you a longer siding where the red and tan cars are

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
Heya all. So we had a quick re-lay of the yard, I would like to get more R1 points at some point and sort some more interesting running options in the yard but for now it’s functional and hasn’t caused any derailments yet. So Corbs, my ‘track plan advisor’ and ‘Video PR manager’ came over Friday night for beers, BBQ and the first ‘proper’ running of the line. It was good videoing it as it helps highlight issues on the line that need attention. The plan was to shoot a load of video before we lost the light then have food, but we ended up filming til about 1AM interspersed with bbq and beers. Some quick snaps of the keen videographer..
CCBD950E-7935-4B0B-91F0-994C1687593C.jpeg23FD1CBC-3721-44A7-ADAA-45F6864C7DF6.jpegA3BED437-111B-4E1D-AA69-C62E01F9B650.jpeg

He has released the video on his YouTube channel, railway mania. Worth checking out his other content too, but here you are, in all it’s glory. I particularly enjoy the night running section, you can tell more and more beers had been drank as the trains got longer and longer. o_O

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I was a little worried about cinders from the bbq in that first shot! :eek: :tmi::giggle::giggle:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent video..

I especially liked the the 'electric' music, in the Night Freight section..

Think it was by that German electro-synth group...

Garten-Bahn!
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Railways with a
Must be a terminology difference... here in the US a crossover is the switches that connect 2 parallel tracks, those closest to you in the picture.

A crossing is normally called a "diamond" in the trade, to keep it from being confused with a road crossing the rails. A diamond can be seen on the right track just past the crossover.

So, in the UK crossover = US diamond.... if so, what is the track configuration called a "crossover" in the US?

(pardon the pneumatic hoses on the track)

P1020304.JPG
Railways using different words to describe things separated by a big pond.

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Just to confuse matters further, a "crossing" in some prototype sources is what we call a frog.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Heya all. So we had a quick re-lay of the yard, I would like to get more R1 points at some point and sort some more interesting running options in the yard but for now it’s functional and hasn’t caused any derailments yet. So Corbs, my ‘track plan advisor’ and ‘Video PR manager’ came over Friday night for beers, BBQ and the first ‘proper’ running of the line. It was good videoing it as it helps highlight issues on the line that need attention. The plan was to shoot a load of video before we lost the light then have food, but we ended up filming til about 1AM interspersed with bbq and beers. Some quick snaps of the keen videographer..
View attachment 255125View attachment 255126View attachment 255127

He has released the video on his YouTube channel, railway mania. Worth checking out his other content too, but here you are, in all it’s glory. I particularly enjoy the night running section, you can tell more and more beers had been drank as the trains got longer and longer. o_O

Nice Music on a Vid for a change, like the Dog as well.

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
Nice Music on a Vid for a change, like the Dog as well.

You have Corbs to thank for the music. :D Well, and the video.
Maddison isn't quite sure of the trains still. She minds them less outside than when I used to run them in the house but she is still wary of them if she isn't paying attention. Have a picture of a mucky pup, because who doesn't also love dogs. :rofl:

IMG_2892.JPG