Skuse Hillside Light Railway - Video of the first ‘official’ running!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Definitely one to run up the flagpole, and see who salutes!
:)

Xav204

Registered
26 Jul 2017
Marseille FRANCE
Best answers
Country flag
Congratulations for the new house
Welcome to Skuse Hillside light railway
I'm sure you will find a way to save some space for the SHLR

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
Just a quick update with some snaps for now, bought a few more points and some buffer stops. Finished the loop. Ran a loco round light engine to see that it wasn't going to do a barrel roll, few bits I need to work on but yea.

IMG_3347.jpg

Buffer stops

58603479617__F1DBED1D-BE7B-43D1-9F69-CA98AC024DF5.JPG

Started playing with yard layout. I wanted to use the crossover but I think in hindsight this is just a bit messy and silly, plus the wagons don't like it all. The bogies can't cope with the constant direction changes over track that isn't 'just track' and derail too much.

58603228909__8D476868-A345-433B-8447-9CEAB5443FF7.JPGIMG_3350.jpgIMG_3351.jpg

It looks fun though..

IMG_3352.jpgIMG_3353.jpgIMG_3355.jpgIMG_3356.jpg

Pulled a train around for a bit to see how the line would do with stock

IMG_3357.JPG

I did take some video but I need to find time to splice it together a bit. More soon!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just a quick update with some snaps for now, bought a few more points and some buffer stops. Finished the loop. Ran a loco round light engine to see that it wasn't going to do a barrel roll, few bits I need to work on but yea.

View attachment 254972

Buffer stops

View attachment 254970

Started playing with yard layout. I wanted to use the crossover but I think in hindsight this is just a bit messy and silly, plus the wagons don't like it all. The bogies can't cope with the constant direction changes over track that isn't 'just track' and derail too much.

View attachment 254971View attachment 254969View attachment 254968

It looks fun though..

View attachment 254967View attachment 254966View attachment 254965View attachment 254964

Pulled a train around for a bit to see how the line would do with stock

View attachment 254963

I did take some video but I need to find time to splice it together a bit. More soon!
A left hand point would possibly have worked better leading to the Crossover. You may have needed some odd short sections to get things to match up but sure it would all flow smoother.

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
A left hand point would possibly have worked better leading to the Crossover. You may have needed some odd short sections to get things to match up but sure it would all flow smoother.

That’s all the points I have left now. Going to have a play with it all and see if we can’t come up with a better idea, even if it means no crossover.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I can't help but think that crossover will end in tears...
It severely limits the amount of stock you can get, in both roads...
You WILL get more stock. I promise you! :giggle: :nod::nod:

ALWAYS...............
Make sidings, and passing loops, as long as possible.

PhilP.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Must be a terminology difference... here in the US a crossover is the switches that connect 2 parallel tracks, those closest to you in the picture.

A crossing is normally called a "diamond" in the trade, to keep it from being confused with a road crossing the rails. A diamond can be seen on the right track just past the crossover.

So, in the UK crossover = US diamond.... if so, what is the track configuration called a "crossover" in the US?

(pardon the pneumatic hoses on the track)

P1020304.JPG

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
Must be a terminology difference... here in the US a crossover is the switches that connect 2 parallel tracks, those closest to you in the picture.

A crossing is normally called a "diamond" in the trade, to keep it from being confused with a road crossing the rails. A diamond can be seen on the right track just past the crossover.

So, in the UK crossover = US diamond.... if so, what is the track configuration called a "crossover" in the US?

(pardon the pneumatic hoses on the track)

P1020304.JPG

I wouldn’t assume I am using the correct terminology mind you, I have heard it called many things. Someone will probably come along at some point to confirm the UK name :wasntme:

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I was referring to everyone calling something a crossover and I cannot figure what picture he is talking about... I'm guessing it's the small "yard" with a diamond crossing in it...

But want to learn the UK terminology...

Greg

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
I was referring to everyone calling something a crossover and I cannot figure what picture he is talking about... I'm guessing it's the small "yard" with a diamond crossing in it...

Greg

Ah, right, yea, the diamond crossing in the yard is the bit I mean by crossover, I think we are both on the same page, just me using (probably) the wrong words :)

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
I can't help but think that crossover will end in tears...
It severely limits the amount of stock you can get, in both roads...
You WILL get more stock. I promise you! :giggle: :nod::nod:

ALWAYS...............
Make sidings, and passing loops, as long as possible.

PhilP.

Missed your post, my thoughts exactly on the stock holding. Initially I thought it’d make the yard a challenge to use to add ‘play value’ but the more I look at it the more I realise I already have enough stock to not fit in that yard, I have 2 tank wagons, 3 flats, 3 coaches, a goods van, a brake van, 3 mineral wagons, a short LGB plank wagon, 3 locomotives.. so it will be being relaid one evening this week methinks.

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Greg

My UK terminolorgy has always been a diamond crossing.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Probably laziness, and a 'stream of consciousness' from my fingers.. :rolleyes:
Sorry for the confusion.. :(

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I think the early model railway manufacturers probably didn't help - as a youngster, a diamond crossing was almost always referred to as a crossover :emo: :emo:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I think that was a "double crossover" just to really confuse things, having 2 crossovers at the same place also requires a diamond crossing:

View attachment 255016

129194_2f87b2a9bc95313f6a330179862e3c0e.jpeg

Oh yes, and I seem to remember that Jon (Zerogee) has a word for that in model form - and yes, it is repeatable.

So, the confusion is a bit of bad terminology combined with some transatlantic differences - which is probably a recipe for disaster :mask: :mask: :mask:

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
How does the joke go with the railways getting double crossed over their diamonds?

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Also known as a "scissors" crossover, for obvious reasons

In Aust it is commonly referred to as a scissors crossing as well.
A double slip will do the same job while taking up less space, I used them extensively back in my HO days.
Terminology can get confusing when communicating wit people in different countries eg Points / Switch/Turnout all do the same thing, albeit turnout is a model train term to avoid confusion with electrical switches.