Single line joining two loops

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Do you wish to operate manually or would you like one train to automatically stop each and every time it reaches a platform, thereby starting the other train in the opposite direction?

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
WOW, I was entirely off in my assumption of the track plan. I pictured the typical dog bone, where a single track connects two loops, one at each end of the single track.

Newby

Registered
14 Sep 2012
Best answers
Thanks Steve, this should do very nicely. I also hope to automate the passage through this section by using track sensors. Is this feasible?

Newby

Registered
14 Sep 2012
Best answers
Thank you for your input. A dog bone layout would have been easier and a lot cheaper, but I like long runs. Inside loop will be 120 Feet .

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Newby said:
Thanks Steve, this should do very nicely. I also hope to automate the passage through this section by using track sensors. Is this feasible?
Yes.

One way is the following slight modifications on Steve's diagram. It needs an additional auxiliary switch on the other point motor.
The point motors are both wired to be operated simultaneously by track contacts as before. Switch 1 reverses the power to the common, bi-directional track section. Switch 2 is wired so that one half is closed when the other is open and feeds the relatively short isolating sections in each loop. These are sited a short distance ahead of the triggers as it's important that a train doesn't stop with the operating magnet within range of the trigger.

ca1ed6c94eea4ae59c1aecfe5b5e1aee.gif

Start with a train in each loop, one a fair bit farther from a trigger than the other. Apply power and both trains will move in opposite directions. When a train passes over a trigger it isolates the relatively short section of track ahead, sets the points in front of that for the other loop and changes the track polarity to suit. When the second train reaches a trigger it does the same so the first train restarts, passes on to the common section, goes round the layout and eventually triggers the second train.

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Neil Robinson said:
Newby said:
Yes.

One way is the following slight modifications on Steve's diagram. It needs an additional auxiliary switch on the other point motor.
The point motors are both wired to be operated simultaneously by track contacts as before. Switch 1 reverses the power to the common, bi-directional track section. Switch 2 is wired so that one half is closed when the other is open and feeds the relatively short isolating sections in each loop. These are sited a short distance ahead of the triggers as it's important that a train doesn't stop with the operating magnet within range of the trigger.

images

Start with a train in each loop, one a fair bit farther from a trigger than the other. Apply power and both trains will move in opposite directions. When a train passes over a trigger it isolates the relatively short section of track ahead, sets the points in front of that for the other loop and changes the track polarity to suit. When the second train reaches a trigger it does the same so the first train restarts, passes on to the common section, goes round the layout and eventually triggers the second train.

As always Neil's drawing is slightly better than mine but its an improvement from a fag packet:D

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
@Newby....

Can you describe how you want the trains to operate?
Do you want both trains to be running at the same time or sequentially (as in Niel's example)?
Do you want independent control of both trains (i.e. different speeds)?

The complexity of the wiring will be driven by your answers.

Newby

Registered
14 Sep 2012
Best answers
Hi Mums, I would like to have independent control of each train as they will be running at different speeds. Each loop will have its own controller and the switches will allow power from the appropriate loop to be used in the single section as the individual trains use it.
Steve's diagram shows the single section powered from a switch ,will this allow me to run as above.

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
That should work as you want, if you want you could double up on the track contacts so you can run either way on either line as long as you want to stay on the same route I.e. outside to outside and inside to inside if you want to change over from inside to outside then a bit more thought will be required.

Newby

Registered
14 Sep 2012
Best answers
I think I will keep it simple for the moment.(tongue in cheek) . The wiring diagram has helped immensely and I am very grateful for all the assistance. I will post on progress as this part of the project progresses. But it may be some time as I am repositioning the right hand section of both loops to incorporate a double platform station where trains can wait whilst the single section is in use by the other loop. Once again many thanks for all the assistance.