Single line joining two loops

Newby

Registered
14 Sep 2012
Best answers
Hi All,
am constructing a double line layout but space restrictions could mean that a shortish section (approx 15 feet) will be single line working only. Is there any way this section can be wired so that polarity is switched as a train enters this section from either loop? (Hoping to have the loops working in opposite directions) Obviously only one train can be in this section at any one time. Would rail isolators linked to a switch controlling signals which controlled the power to a short section before this single section work or am I thinking silly.?

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Nothing is silly and it can all be done just depends how complex you wish to make it!!!

Would it be possible to post a drawing of you planned track layout as I am not sure what you are quite wanting to do.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
First think we need to know is if you are Analogue (DC) or Digital (DCC).

Are you planning to make the single line automatic? From your post asking about polarity, it appears this section of track will always be powered on with polarity changed as required. I.e. you aren't actually driving your train through this section....

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
If I get this correct you have two loops linked by a straight section, a classic dog bone....

Just out of daftness would the space allow for an interlaced section, something different and may help electrically...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauntlet_track

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Just a thought, but I had a short single line section on my own layout behind Quarry Lake, AKA the pond.

I didn't have the ground space to lay another track, so I got around the problem by use of a cantilever style bridge. This was done using some metal angled racking that I had going spare at work.

Might be a solution to your problems?
Or you could try a classic land grab....

modeler

G Scale - electric & live steam
2 Jan 2012
Columbus, OH USA
Best answers
Wow! What a challenge! I would advise looking at this project as two phases - mechanical & electrical. Once you determine how you are going to do this mechanically, move on to how to control those mechanical choices electrically. One mechanical solution that comes to mind is to construct two sets of parallel tracks on one set of ties, then you could access each section with curves without having to be concerned in the second phase as how to electrically control any switches. BUT - then in the electrical phase, all you have left is to determine how to control which train would have priority on that part of the track. This may be an easier solution than having to do the operation with switches. Good luck & keep smiling.

Wobbleboxer

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Northants, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I'm seeing this as a loop within a loop with a common section rather than a dog bone.

Isolate the single track section and have feeds from one set of points to feed power from the side of the point that is 'open'. If you motorise you can power both points as a pair and use supplementary switches to control track power all in one go.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
My branch line is a single line with a reverse loop at each end. The centre section is fed via an LGB signal which has a changeover switch block on it. As the train goes around the loop at the end it passes over a track reed contact operating the signal & changing the polarity. Another contact at the other end swaps it back. Sprung points ensure the train always goes around the loops at the ends in the right direction.
Easy!

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
dutchelm said:
My branch line is a single line with a reverse loop at each end. The centre section is fed via an LGB signal which has a changeover switch block on it. As the train goes around the loop at the end it passes over a track reed contact operating the signal & changing the polarity. Another contact at the other end swaps it back. Sprung points ensure the train always goes around the loops at the ends in the right direction.
Easy!

By far, the simplest solution. You'll need some LGB components, like reverse loop modules (2), and 17100 Track contacts (2), and a 12010 switch drive (1). If you purchase them new, the instructions are in the boxes. If no instructions, we can help. Or if you have the book "The World of LGB", everything you ever wanted to know about the EPL System is in there.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Madman said:
By far, the simplest solution. You'll need some LGB components, like reverse loop modules (2), and 17100 Track contacts (2), and a 12010 switch drive (1). If you purchase them new, the instructions are in the boxes. If no instructions, we can help. Or if you have the book "The World of LGB", everything you ever wanted to know about the EPL System is in there.
You don't need the reverse loop modules, just a few insulating rail joiners. If you buy a signal with the switch block you only need 2 reed switches. The signal is useful as it tells you the polarity of the track.
I have added a few more diodes to stop a train entering the single line if the polarity is wrong. (Idiot proof :happy::happy::happy: )

Newby

Registered
14 Sep 2012
Best answers
Great support and a host of solutions. The layout is analogue at present and I have considered a good old fashioned land grab, but there are cold nights ahead. !!!!!
Wobbleboxer aka Colin has hit the nail on the head. A loop within a loop with one common point. Have tried to attach a very poor sketch of the common link but the machine refuses to play.. The points will be motorised if this is helpful.

Any guidance will be much appreciated although the response has been overwhelming .

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
dutchelm said:
Madman said:
You don't need the reverse loop modules, just a few insulating rail joiners. If you buy a signal with the switch block you only need 2 reed switches. The signal is useful as it tells you the polarity of the track.
I have added a few more diodes to stop a train entering the single line if the polarity is wrong. (Idiot proof :happy::happy::happy: )

What I meant to say was Reverse Loop Track Sets instead of Reverse Loop Modules. I consider the modules to be the MTS system, of which I know little about.
So , with your technique, can you let trains run through the loops unattended?

Newby

Registered
14 Sep 2012
Best answers
Many thanks for your help. Could you let me have a wiring sketch as this might be helpful.
dutchelm said:
Madman said:

Newby

Registered
14 Sep 2012
Best answers
Thanks for your help. I am constructing 2 loops, one within the other. They will share a short section of single track. The locos will travel in opposite directions on the loops . Entry to the single section will be via a set of motorised points. There will also be an isolated section on both loops before the single section where the two platform station will be sited. Can the single rail section be powered to correspond with the direction of travel of either train.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Newby said:
Thanks for your help. I am constructing 2 loops, one within the other. They will share a short section of single track. The locos will travel in opposite directions on the loops . Entry to the single section will be via a set of motorised points. There will also be an isolated section on both loops before the single section where the two platform station will be sited. Can the single rail section be powered to correspond with the direction of travel of either train.
To avoid confusion do you mean something like this:
bbb2ae04fa214d82bea34e04c9b88d81.jpg

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Does this rough sketch approximate to what you have in mind?

Edit, sorry for repetition, Muns posted whilst I was thinking and sketching.

a4010ff8eb6c43208b0845d739f647ac.jpg

Newby

Registered
14 Sep 2012
Best answers
Sketch is spot on. I hope to run trains in opposite directions on the loops. Can you assist with possible wiring?

Newby

Registered
14 Sep 2012
Best answers
Thanks Neil. Hope to run trains in opposite directions on the loops. Any clues re wiring.?

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Yes it can be done quite easily with LGB components as long as you control the trains so only one enters the single line at once

Two point motors
Two track contacts
8 insulated joiners
one supplementary switch

Will do a wiring diagram later for you Yellow bits are insulated track joiners, you can see that the control side is completely separate from the track side, however if you are running big trains then the supplementary switch may struggle with the ampage so a relay will be required, also the diagram is from memory so a bit of reading on the instructions for each component will be required.

hope it helps Steve

f90687655c174529ba3f2ee6a56a74c9.jpg

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Diagram is slightly wrong you need to swap the two blue wires over!!