Simplex Railcars

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I have been wanting to build a railcar for my G scale railway but couldn't decide on a prototype. I wanted to do something different. Then today I was sent a Simplex brochure and found that they made railcars. Pictures from the brochure attached. Does anyone know if and where they ran or where they just the creation of an optimistic salesman?

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
Simplex-013.JPGSimplex-014.JPGSimplex-015.JPG

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It doesn't appear that the order books were over subscribed :oops::oops:

I think the phrase, ' We solicit your enquiries' gives the picture

Drewry made something that ran on the WC&PR but from a modelling point of view it's pretty plain and boring, nothing like the appearance of the Simplex offering.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
There are the tram-style offerings..
Indian and Spanish, that I know of..

Later offering from Alan Keef, was more of a tram-loco conversion for Argentina (from memory)..

Peter, there are a couple of books available, I will have a look here, and report back.

PhilP

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
The bottom righthand image on page 2 appears to show British military use, with the uniforms suggesting a date around WW1. The company history refers to concerns over the quantity of German light railway equipment seen pre-WW1 and the company's response to it, but as to where they ran, who knows?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The Hundred of Manhood and Selsey Tramway :nod::nod:

The Wild West Norfolk Route used to be the Wild West Sussex Railroad ;);)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Can you imagine a Eurostar driver hand cranking his engine? :rofl: :rofl::rofl:

penylanpip

Registered
1 Apr 2010
Barry, UK
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
One of my sons lived in Selsey for some years and on holidays staying with him, I would look around for evidence of the Tramway.
The manager of the North Mundham Light Railway will probably agree that there is precious little left. In fact, the only item visible from the bus, at least, is an abutment where the line crossed the Chichester canal and there are a few places where the levelled ground of a footpath gives a hint of its origin. I'm sure that the local resident, however, can give a more accurate summary.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
One of my sons lived in Selsey for some years and on holidays staying with him, I would look around for evidence of the Tramway.
The manager of the North Mundham Light Railway will probably agree that there is precious little left. In fact, the only item visible from the bus, at least, is an abutment where the line crossed the Chichester canal and there are a few places where the levelled ground of a footpath gives a hint of its origin. I'm sure that the local resident, however, can give a more accurate summary.
It had a weird history and, for many years ran illegally without an Act of Parliament. I think this may be the reason why the trackbed was so easily re-claimed on closure, and is difficult to locate.

I think you would probably have to go off-piste a bit to fins any evidence nowadays.

There are one or two good books about it, and it is, indeed a fascinating story.

Oh, just looked at the preface to my book - '............. for most of its life it ran with no legality as a railway at all.'

I think I'm right that, many hundreds of years before the railways, the Bishop's palace was at Selsey rather than Chichester.

We've hi-jacked Peter's thread a bit, but I think the answer with the Simplex trams must be overseas rather than in the UK - possibly a bit nearer Peter than we are :p

Last edited:

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
Not a Simplex railcar unfortunately but the Freshwater, Yarmouth and Newport Railway operated something similar to what is referred to as the 'inspection car' in the brochure in revenue service outside of the tourist season but built by Drewry.

Pictures are scarce on the internet, but where is a couple here of it being delivered and built up for service. Maybe a bit lightweight for what you're looking for though?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Not a Simplex railcar unfortunately but the Freshwater, Yarmouth and Newport Railway operated something similar to what is referred to as the 'inspection car' in the brochure in revenue service outside of the tourist season but built by Drewry.

Pictures are scarce on the internet, but where is a couple here of it being delivered and built up for service. Maybe a bit lightweight for what you're looking for though?
Interesting, just goes to show that the Isle of Wight is a foreign country, sometimes :rofl::rofl:

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Now that we are talking about other railcars, how about this Leyland which ran in the north of Australia?

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
Leyland Railbus.png

Attachments

• Leyland Railbus.png
    Leyland Railbus.png
    3 MB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Bit of a long drop exiting from those doors!
Rumour has it that some passengers almost resorted to a suicide leap :devil::devil:

Although, to be fair, they were much maligned, but served a useful purpose

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Where others lead ................

View attachment 306086
LEV1 was the first one introduced in 1987, horrible things and a product of those austere years when getting investment to BR was a tricky job. Could almost be like today, but at least they have all gone ….. or have they? No Nodding Donkeys as they were called by some uncharitable cranks are to be found on sundry preserved railways to delight or disgust those who had to travel on them to work and hated them. Not really a good fit for a day out if you were hoping for a puffer ride.
Oh its stopped raining with blue skies just now in the nits.