Simple shuttle for DC operation

Airbuspilot

Registered
25 May 2021
Cyprus
Best answers
Country flag
Hi

I am looking for a simple shuttle unit for an end to end section of the layout, this will be the only DC part of the layout.

Can anyone suggest a suitable shuttle unit for G scale locos, there are plenty for 00 and N gague but I think they may not handle the voltage and current for large scale locos.

Thanks Robin

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Take a look at this;

Or you may want to look for an LGB shuttle automatic on Ebay.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi

I am looking for a simple shuttle unit for an end to end section of the layout, this will be the only DC part of the layout.

Can anyone suggest a suitable shuttle unit for G scale locos, there are plenty for 00 and N gague but I think they may not handle the voltage and current for large scale locos.

Thanks Robin
Many moons ago I used a Gaugemaster one on my Garden Railway in Hertford. It was a low rated one but as the largest LGB loco ‘sI had in them days was a Stainz and a 4Wheeled tram they and the unit worked just fine.

Airbuspilot

Registered
25 May 2021
Cyprus
Best answers
Country flag
Many moons ago I used a Gaugemaster one on my Garden Railway in Hertford. It was a low rated one but as the largest LGB loco ‘sI had in them days was a Stainz and a 4Wheeled tram they and the unit worked just fine.
Thanks to you both, I found the LGB shuttle about 10 mins after I posted!
I will take a closer look.
Robin

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
As an alternative use a loco with an LGB or Massoth decoder & magnet & an LGB signal with a suplimentary switch. Set CV58 to the time delay required. Use a reed switch at each end to operate the signal & the supplimentary switch to reverse the track polarity.
When the loco passes over the reed switch the track polarity is reversed. The loco thinks it needs to go the other way so it slows down, waits & then sets off in the other direction. You program the rate of deceleration, wait time & acceleration by changing the CVs on the decoder. It's in one of the LGB publications somewhere.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
As an alternative use a loco with an LGB or Massoth decoder & magnet & an LGB signal with a suplimentary switch. Set CV58 to the time delay required. Use a reed switch at each end to operate the signal & the supplimentary switch to reverse the track polarity.
I don't think DC locos have CVs ;)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I don't think DC locos have CVs ;)
OP did say it would be the only part of the railway not DCC..
So many of the available loco's, may be decoder-fitted..

PhilP

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
OP did say it would be the only part of the railway not DCC..
So many of the available loco's, may be decoder-fitted..

PhilP
Indeed so but that would be irrelevant if not setting up the auto shuttle on the DC only part of the line as there would be no DCC available.

Airbuspilot

Registered
25 May 2021
Cyprus
Best answers
Country flag
The main layout is DCC but this is a simple shuttle using a Loco with a ratchet and cogs on the track. The idea is to climb a small mountain, stop at a station and return. The Loco bought for this is DC and presumably doesn't have a decoder, Interesting comment from Mike but I guess the LGB unit is the easiest option.

Robin

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The main layout is DCC but this is a simple shuttle using a Loco with a ratchet and cogs on the track. The idea is to climb a small mountain, stop at a station and return. The Loco bought for this is DC and presumably doesn't have a decoder, Interesting comment from Mike but I guess the LGB unit is the easiest option.

Robin
Ah that would most likely draw more than a Stainz or Railcar making my suggestion of a Gaugemaster unit in post #3 irrelevant.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
I'm in the market for something along these lines too. I was lured in by the word simple, but alas, the early drift is moving off to proprietary systems (read expensive).
When I say, or understand, 'simple' I mean simple (and cheap). What I really need/want, is 'thing' that is fed 12V. It outputs 12V at one polarity for a pre determined time, then changes itself to the other polarity for the same amount of time. Don't need no detection, LEDs, or any other gizzmos. Reason why, is they are not needed. At the moment, the micro/small layout that this is for is already set up for shuttle running, and has the requisite diode and isolation blocks..... Grandaughter gets awfully bored flipping the reverse switch ! I know there is something out there, 'cause I've seen the idea working. The time I mentioned, should be one and a bit times the time of the end to end run.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I'm in the market for something along these lines too. I was lured in by the word simple, but alas, the early drift is moving off to proprietary systems (read expensive).
When I say, or understand, 'simple' I mean simple (and cheap). What I really need/want, is 'thing' that is fed 12V. It outputs 12V at one polarity for a pre determined time, then changes itself to the other polarity for the same amount of time. Don't need no detection, LEDs, or any other gizzmos. Reason why, is they are not needed. At the moment, the micro/small layout that this is for is already set up for shuttle running, and has the requisite diode and isolation blocks..... Grandaughter gets awfully bored flipping the reverse switch ! I know there is something out there, 'cause I've seen the idea working. The time I mentioned, should be one and a bit times the time of the end to end run.
I suggest a 555 chip. Cheap and available from many sources. 555 timer IC - Wikipedia

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
I suggest a 555 chip. Cheap and available from many sources. 555 timer IC - Wikipedia
Thanks Neil, kinda figured that someone would mention that, as I'd come across them in my looking around.....
So, how do you wire it up? How does it do the polarity change? ...and how do you set the time? What other bits do you need?????

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Neil, kinda figured that someone would mention that, as I'd come across them in my looking around.....
So, how do you wire it up? How does it do the polarity change? ...and how do you set the time? What other bits do you need?????
So, how do you wire it up? Take a look at the chip's data sheet. How does it do the polarity change? It doesn't, the 555 is set up as a timer that may repeatedly turn a relay on and off with pre set time intervals. How do you set the time? What other bits do you need? Again the chip's data sheet covers this.

Airbuspilot

Registered
25 May 2021
Cyprus
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Degauss

Registered
9 Jun 2017
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
So, how do you wire it up? Take a look at the chip's data sheet. How does it do the polarity change? It doesn't, the 555 is set up as a timer that may repeatedly turn a relay on and off with pre set time intervals. How do you set the time? What other bits do you need? Again the chip's data sheet covers this.
If you want to build your own :-

http://www.circuitous.ca/AutoRevCheap.html

Attachments

• AutoRevCheapPSU.gif
    AutoRevCheapPSU.gif
    11.8 KB · Views: 0

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
If you want to build your own :-

http://www.circuitous.ca/AutoRevCheap.html
Could R2 and C1 be replaced by pots to give controllable variable time delay?