Signal box levers

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Quick question for y'all, as it's many a long year since I've been in a signal box.

Are all the levers for each type of operation (home signals, distant signals, point locks, points etc) and therefore each color, grouped together - or are they scattered across the lever frame?

LTfan

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Basically scattered.
A yellow (distant signal) might be next to a couple of red (stop signals)
Some black (points) might be next to a blue (facing point lock).
There'd be a few white (unused) - maybe a single one here & there, and a group of 2 or 3 somewhere else.

Cheers

David

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Martin,
There are people more expert than me on this forum but as a quick answer the levers follow a sequence. The outer levers for the distant signals are yellow. Next come the red levers for the stop signals (home, starter etc.) and then the points which are black. There are facing point locking levers - blue, and brown levers for level crossings and wicket gates. Detonator levers were black with double white arrows to show which track they applied to (Up or Down) and spare levers were white. For a quick look at what I've done on my railway have a look at Chris Bird's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIuNFVOUjLg
So for a simple frame the colours would go yellow, red, red, black, black, red, red, yellow, with the other types of lever between the red levers as required.
If you have any specific questions there are some signalling experts on the forum who still operate lever frame signal boxes.
Have a look at this web site which will probably tell you everything you need to know! http://www.signalbox.org/
Best wishes,
Steve

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
At first glance they may seem to be scattered everywhere, but there is a logic. Often signals for a particular route are pulled sequentially.
I suggest you visit the link below. Go to Midland Area and download the evaluation version of Wigston North Junction for a fairly complex example.

http://www.pcrail.co.uk/home.php

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
I forgot about ground shunt signal levers, which are also red, and which you would find close to the associated black point lever.

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
Try this for a simple example. http://www.signalbox.org/diagrams.php?id=455
The lever colours are:
red (signals) - 1,2,3,6,8,9,12,13;
black (points) - 5,7,10;
blue (facing point lock) - 4,11.
No spare levers so no white ones. Fixed distant so no yellow ones.
So the sequence in the frame goes red, red, red, blue, black, red, black, red, red, red, blue, red, red.
How's that?

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Great info - thank you all very much.

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Good grief Richard!

That's wonderful.

...what's the whole story?

LNERGE

Registered
1 Nov 2009
Best answers
I was asked to signal a passing loop for September this year. The signalbox would not be ready in time and i had this ground frame laying around.

http://www.thuxtonloop.org.uk/

We are hoping to have the whole installation complete by Tuesday 17th August and final independent testing complete by Sunday 22nd, a whole month ahead of schedule.

NigelP

Registered
22 May 2010
North Yorkshire
Best answers
I just love the casualness of that comment "i had this ground frame laying around" :)

LNERGE

Registered
1 Nov 2009
Best answers
I bought it in 1988 and it hadn't seen any use since 1992 so it is fair to say it was just laying around. I do have several other frames waiting for jobs too. The ground frame was last used in part of the yards at Whitemoor, March, Cambridgeshire and never carried any interlocking. The frame had to be fitted with locking trays and other paraphernalia to be of any use to anyone. Only the interlocking will need to be changed when the frame returns and a new job is found for it.

bigjack

Railways of all shapes and sizes G 00 and big en's
24 Oct 2009
On the sunny North Coast of Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Last year, for my birthday, Mary got me a day in a signal box:clap: I can honestly say it was the best present I've ever had.

Spent the day (and it was hands on) in Rolvenden box on the Kent and East Sussex Railway. Everything explained, well worth doing.

vasim

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers

LNERGE

Registered
1 Nov 2009
Best answers
vasim said:
Most of the above is true, except that where main line home levers are red, the starting signal levers are red with a white band and would be inboard of the main line home levers.

Only if the starting signal lever is released from another signalbox. If the pictures of the ground frame are studied it can be noted there are no white bands on the starting signal levers. This is because although they are released by the train staff they do not need the cooperation of anyone else to pull them.

vasim

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag

Bredebahn

Cinema, Garden Railway, Private Flying (licenced p
25 Oct 2009
A field near Rye, in beautiful East Sussex.
Best answers
Many years ago I used to visit signalboxes in the Canterbury and Faversham Kent areas as I was studying for my railway operating examinations - by working a box all the old rules and regulations fall into place. One of my favourites was Canterbury East, an elevated box adjacent to the country end of the down platform (it's still there and fully operational). On the down line at Canterbury there was a distant (one hell of a throw as the signal was the best part of a mile away on the other side of the Stour Valley - now a colour light as are most distants in semaphore country), a home, a starter (mounted on the outside of the box itself) and an advanced starter/section signal.

Once of my most satisfying, and therefore memorable recollections, was being in the box one summer evening. The normal service train to Dover had departed and the section south of Canterbury was therefore occupied. A 47 approached from the Faversham direction with some vans bound for Dover. As the section ahead was occupied, the distant signal was at caution with all the stop signals at danger. With a further service train to Dover waiting to enter the section north of Canterbury, we had to move the 47 down to the advance starter to be able to clear the section in rear. As the 47 crept up to the Home signal we gently pulled it off, balancing the lever to pull the arm up very slowly so that the driver knew that the starter signal was still at danger. In the distance we could hear the exhaust increase and the loco came gently in sight around the curve and into the station. As it approached the starter we replaced the Home and repeated the exercise. This time, with the signal right outside of the box, the effect was much more marked as the throttle was opened and with a friendly hoot the 47 passed by us with its' vans in tow and trundled down to the advance starter........

LTfan

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Bredebahn said:
I was studying for my railway operating examinations

John - was that when every other Regulation started with "in darkness, fog or falling snow"?

David

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
And I remember a 47 hauling what must have been the evening mail train past Pandy signal box one evening and seeing flames shooting out of the roof vents. I asked the signalman whether we should send "Stop and examine train" to the next box (Pontrilas) but he said not to bother. I discovered the next day that it had failed in the section. He was quite right!
Yes, white bands on the red levers if the signal's released from the next box. And of course cut off levers for electrically operated signals (to stop you going ar*e over t*t if you pulled with the same force as a mechanical signal).
As Bob Spiers (signalman at Pandy) used to say - "happy days".
Steve