signage

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
I posted a request elsewhere for a contact with anyone who made various signs for the railway, and then I wiondered if I could do this myself. How does this grab you? I print the sign on to slightly heavy duty paper, then heat sealed them in that heat sealing thingummy, you know, usually about 65 pence at Lidl. I then just cut out the shape to size, paste them on to a bit of PVC and stick them on the appropriate place. Now I am informed that if you make a hole, and cutting it will do that, then the seal is no longer a seal, and over time water will leak in. OK, that's maybe something I can live with, I don't know how long the signs will last, but even if they have to be replaced every year, it is still cheap and effective. The station signs are not fixed down, and can be taken in over the winter, for e.g. Now do any of you guys know better, am I deluding myself, will they all get washed away in the next downpour? I hope not because I have spent an interesting hour going through my Corel Gallery and finding all sorts of interesting signs.
656f0fb39d884411a4f75672ab09e155.jpg

b85bf08e803f41428e1d0e65926a3aff.jpg

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
They will probably fade some, printer ink doesn't seem to be all that light stable, though that may depend on the make. As you say though, cheap enough to replace as req.

Dunno if it's still available, but what about Letraset, they used to do hundreds of different fonts and sizes, and colours. Try an art shop.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
nice idea, they tend to last a year ... but at this price, do we care??:D

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
bobg said:
They will probably fade some, printer ink doesn't seem to be all that light stable, though that may depend on the make. As you say though, cheap enough to replace as req.

Dunno if it's still available, but what about Letraset, they used to do hundreds of different fonts and sizes, and colours. Try an art shop.
Yes I think you are probably right about the fading, but I'm going to give it a try. I have access to a laser printer, that might produce better results. It's going to be a wait and see how things go process. I think sealing the signs with clear varnish would be a good idea also, especially as regards the possible rain etc leakage. I had thought of Letraset, don't know the status of that product nowadays, but it would be rather fiddly, and I know I would never get the letters to line up propery. Let's give it a try, I'll keep you advised, but I would be keen to know if anyone else has gone down this road

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
My local art shop has thrown all their old Letraset packs in the bargain bin. Seems it's not used much not that so many people have access to their own printer. Still handy if you want white lettering though!

If you're going to laminate your signs, just make sure you leave a little bit of clear lamination around the outside edge of the sign to maintain a seal.

Me, I use one of the old-fangled Alps MicroDry printers that uses fade resistant waxy ink ribbons and can print white and metallics etc. directly onto thin waterslide film. It's a real shame all production of these has now stopped, and the consumables will only be around for another 4 years or so. You can find them on eBay from time to time but the going rate has shot up over the past few years. Mine's jealously guarded in a secret location well away from the rest of the family PC network and probably only gets fired up once or twice a year!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Letraset make Vinyl Label Printers as do Dymo. (Anyone remember the labels they used to make by embossing on sticky back plastic strips?)

These are very waterproof and as they don't use ink, they don't fade.

They can be brought cheaply in shops these days....

http://www.dymo-store.co.uk/

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
(Anyone remember the labels they used to make by embossing on sticky back plastic strips?)

I still do Gizzy! They're about the only thing that stands up to the beating in the w/shop. I'm running low on tape now though, down to one colour............Henry Ford! :happy:

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
mike said:
not really Mike, you can even change the station names etc if you get fed up of 'em. I'm going to give it a go and as I think I said I am thumbing through Corel Galleries to see what I can ban on my railway.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
Letraset make Vinyl Label Printers as do Dymo. (Anyone remember the labels they used to make by embossing on sticky back plastic strips?)

These are very waterproof and as they don't use ink, they don't fade.

They can be brought cheaply in shops these days....

http://www.dymo-store.co.uk/
It is possible that the Brother label (ribbon) printer is still available prob' from Maplins.
I didn't have any success with it but others in GSM days thought that it was excellent for the job.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Letraset is alive and kicking, you can buy direct from their website, otherwise a stated above cut your signs slightly undersize, laminate and cut the foil to the correct size. Also to reduce fading print in colour and not black only, this gives a cyan and magenta under the black to give the black depth.

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
as posted in the rolling stock area, i tested (for good) the laser-printer foils that make uv-resistant and waterproof labels.
The foils can be delivered in white (nearly white) and are VERY sticky.

i fear the laminated paper will get wet, i had that as a "do not enter"-sign as well.....it lasts for 1 or 2 rainy weeks.
But i confess i pinned the sign with a nail that made a hole in where the paper was...thats no good!

With my laserfoil, i am very happy, and i went on with some small writings on my loco such as about home depot, weight and class.

Greetings

Frank

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
gnsyaaaa.....mmpf.

was in weathering, painting and lining, sorry.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
KeithT said:
It is possible that the Brother label (ribbon) printer is still available prob' from Maplins.
I didn't have any success with it but others in GSM days thought that it was excellent for the job.

Actually that's a good point: I have a Brother P-Touch 1000 bought from Lidl early last year. So far I've only used it for numbering point motors and other bits and pieces around the house, I have to say the point motor labels have certainly stood up fine to the great outdoors.

Various tape/text colour combinations are available, with a limited range of fonts and text sizes built into the machine. It can print two lines of text in the smaller font sizes. Handy piece of kit.

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Glengrant said:
mike said:
not really Mike, you can even change the station names etc if you get fed up of 'em. I'm going to give it a go and as I think I said I am thumbing through Corel Galleries to see what I can ban on my railway.
I think " No Egging " must be one of the most unusual signs, it was listed amongst other banned activities on one of the Isle of Wight railways
Cheers Garry

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
www.alwayshobbies.com do (or did) a range of different sized vinyl lettering (matt white, gold or matt black) in Arial Bold. Sizes 3, 4, 6, 8, 10,12, 15, 20 and 25mm.

Paint your background colour in gloss, wait till dry and then apply letters and then clear varnish.

Mick

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
As a point of order Mr Chairman! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I believe the most common font used for railway UK signage is/was Gill sans (serif).

Now there's another piece of (almost) useless information.

:wave:

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Gregh posted about his excellent method a while back, but I can't find a link, so here goes my take on it...
Flip your image so it prints as a mirror image.
Take the file to a print shop and ask them to laser print it onto an acetate.
Paint the back of the acetate (the printed side) with white emulsion paint.
Cut out the signs and hold 'em in place with wet paint (Gregh) or glue them (me).
Handle them carefully when you paint them as its easy to get paint on the front and spoil them (me me me!)
I used it for some posters and got excellent results, even though the only paint I had was some cream outdoor stuff. The hardest part was to convince the guy at Staples that I wanted them printing the wrong way round, and I didn't want them blowing up to fit the acetate. This is the idea :
23b0b3a7e53b4f4382efda5895195bd3.jpg

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers
The only thing I would add is to use a UV (Ultraviolet) spray to seal the item - as used by commercial/graphic artists to prevent photos, etc from fading whilst on display - probably available from Staples or other good stationers!

Rob

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
bobg said:
I believe the most common font used for railway UK signage is/was Gill sans (serif).
Zzzzzip, anorak on:
Only the LNER used it exclusively, in 1965 dear old BR adopted 'Rail Alphabet' as its standard, although it wasnt far off from the later Gill typeface (it was continually modified and updated). :nerd:
It, and its versions, fill the typecases of nearly every printers that still use letterpress, although strangely it was taken up by Monotype who used casting machines to make 'slugs' i.e. a sentence or part of one which were fastened together rather than individual type.
Zzzzzip, anorak off.
Believe me there is nothing more boring than old printers talking to each other over a jar, talk about rivet counters...:happy:

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
pugwash said:
bobg said:
Zzzzzip, anorak on:
Only the LNER used it exclusively, in 1965 dear old BR adopted 'Rail Alphabet' as its standard, although it wasnt far off from the later Gill typeface (it was continually modified and updated). :nerd:
It, and its versions, fill the typecases of nearly every printers that still use letterpress, although strangely it was taken up by Monotype who used casting machines to make 'slugs' i.e. a sentence or part of one which were fastened together rather than individual type.
Zzzzzip, anorak off.
Believe me there is nothing more boring than old printers talking to each other over a jar, talk about rivet counters...:happy:

Gotcha!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl: