Short-circuit with Massoth Dimax RC Receiver 8133001

railaddict

Registered
18 May 2020
Belgium
Best answers
Country flag
I have been using this device since 2014 without problem and now, preparing the layout for a new season, I connected my Navigator and the above RC Receiver, the latter causes a short circuit. I am not using the 2.4 GHz version! I must precise that I have "lost" the antenna (cannot find it back) can this be the cause of the problem?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
A disconnected antenna would not show as an error, it really has no way to tell if it is connected or not, just less signal received.

I believe your problem is in a spot other than the antenna. do you get the error with just the main unit and the navigator (pardon me if it is wireless only)

railaddict

Registered
18 May 2020
Belgium
Best answers
Country flag
A disconnected antenna would not show as an error, it really has no way to tell if it is connected or not, just less signal received.

I believe your problem is in a spot other than the antenna. do you get the error with just the main unit and the navigator (pardon me if it is wireless only)
When only the navigator is connected (with the cable) I don't have the problem but I haven't tried to run a train because the cable is too short for me to operate trains (central unit is located in a shed, and I usually run trains with the RC.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
When only the navigator is connected (with the cable) I don't have the problem but I haven't tried to run a train because the cable is too short for me to operate trains (central unit is located in a shed, and I usually run trains with the RC.
Hi - The transmitter board in your Navigator may have failed. If you can get another transmitter board, either new or used, install it and see if that solves your problem. The boards are plug and play, just open up the Navigator and remove the old board and plug in the replacement board. I have a couple used transmitter boards after upgrading my two Navigators to 2.4GHz but they are the US 900 MHz frequency so not suitable for Europe use. Since you're in Europe, it wouldn't cost you that much to ship your Navigator to Massoth for repair. Also, make sure your Receiver isn't the problem.........test it with another operating Navigator.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Could the receiver be plugged into the wrong connector, on the Central Station?
Just a thought..

PhilP

railaddict

Registered
18 May 2020
Belgium
Best answers
Country flag
Could the receiver be plugged into the wrong connector, on the Central Station?
Just a thought..

PhilP
No, there are three connectors on the Central Station and you can use any of them.

AlanL

Registered
1 Mar 2016
Northampton
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds like your receiver is faulty. Open it up to look for any signs of moisture (or insects). Keeping a receiver in a shed installed near the roof will allow it to warm up quickly due to sunshine and moisture will then condense on the cold internals of the receiver. Don't ask me how I know!
AL

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have been using this device since 2014 without problem and now, preparing the layout for a new season, I connected my Navigator and the above RC Receiver, the latter causes a short circuit. I am not using the 2.4 GHz version! I must precise that I have "lost" the antenna (cannot find it back) can this be the cause of the problem?
The other option you have is to upgrade your Navigator and Receiver to 2.4GHz. You can buy the Massoth 2.4GHz Upgrade Kit like I sell on my Website from your local Massoth supplier there in Europe. This might be the less frustrating and most expedient solution for you.
Massoth 2.4GHz Upgrade Kit.png

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Can you please quantify "short circuit"? Is your Central Station 1 1210, 1200, Piko or MTS3 ? What do the indicators show?
No antenna will not be the issue.

railaddict

Registered
18 May 2020
Belgium
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds like your receiver is faulty. Open it up to look for any signs of moisture (or insects). Keeping a receiver in a shed installed near the roof will allow it to warm up quickly due to sunshine and moisture will then condense on the cold internals of the receiver. Don't ask me how I know!
AL
Thanks for the advice, I'll open it up.

railaddict

Registered
18 May 2020
Belgium
Best answers
Country flag
Can you please quantify "short circuit"? Is your Central Station 1 1210, 1200, Piko or MTS3 ? What do the indicators show?
No antenna will not be the issue.
It is a Dimax 1210Z. When I connect the RC receiver to the station, both the Power light (green) and the Stop light (red) light up.

railaddict

Registered
18 May 2020
Belgium
Best answers
Country flag
Today, following Alan's suggestion, I planned to open the receiver, but before doing so, I switched cables as suggested by Muns in another recent post about a problem with a Navigator and it works without any problem and the Navigator works alright with the other cable. Thanks to everyone for the attention and suggestions.