dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
image.jpeg Well not quite, some time back I bodgelled a version till my round to it came in and I would finally get around to Scratching a newer version. Well I have been beevering away at the replacement for some time now. Inspired by Mikes Goods Shed I have been cutting and scribing Hips. Joining it together with Pipe Adhesive, procuring Coffee Stirers and generally abusing Plasticard. But first a few Pictures of what I am trying to Achieve.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg
As can be seen above the Station is quite an imposing one. The site and space that my Midel will fit is somewhat cramped so some liberties have been taken on Size and general look of the Building. However the end result should give something of the 'Feel' of the real site.

Below is my cpvery temporary effort that has been in place for getting opn for 2 Years now. Was made with a Shell of Foam Board and strangely angled side pictures taken in 2010 or 2011. Not ideal but better than nothing.image.jpeg
Earlier this Year I decided to make the start. In truth Mike's method of Scribing Brickwod was copied to use on HIPS. I have to say I was satisfied with the result. On what was the Restraunt Side of the Building I have scribed 5mm Lines Horizontally then used a Suitable Sized (5mm approx) Screwdrives to impress the Vertical Lines 10mm Apart. A 10mm Square Peencil Line is used to get the lines correct. Note that the Roof has been clad in Emery Cloth to represent the Felt Roofing of the Prototype.image.jpeg
The Stonework was altogether more tedious. I originally planned to try an exact match, but life is certainly too short. However each evening my Trusty Scriber create a few more Blocks in the Hips till it was all done. Then a Craft Knife was just used to Hit the Stones with the Pointy End to get some relief into the Stonework. I do this each way so that it is not too uniform. By enlarging the Pic you should be able to make this out.

The pic below also shows the effect created by using Coffee Stirers for the Timber Cladding. My trusty Wood Chooper comes in very useful here. The Roof is just Plasticard, at this stage not exact. Roofing Tiles will sort out the dodgy edges. A trial fit of a Window from Glendale is also seen here. Some of the Windows have Shutter Representations, on my visit in 1981 quite a few of the Shutters were closed so I wanted to represent this. Also saves in Window Costs! I used Slaters Plastic Planking for a smaller scale flr this. The Box it runs from being just a Square of offcut HIPS.image.jpeg
Here I have lined the Rood for applying Roof Tiles.image.jpeg
Roof Tiles being Created. First I sand Black Plasticard in the Vertical Plane for the way that the Tiles will be laid. I cut then Strips of the Plasticard 30 MM Wide while holding them in the Vise cut part way through 12MM as shown below. This gives me my basic Roof Tiles.image.jpeg
The Eagle eyed amongst you will notice that the Biilding has been Retiled with Modern Stuff at some stage, being a traditionalist I backdated to Slate as was present in 1981.

You will see from some of the above Pictures and the Prototype some of the liberties I have been taking. But as I said Space precludes a full representation.
JonD

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Running out of pics space in last post. Here is the progress to date. Still some work to do, but certainly now on the home straight.

Below pic shows the Shutters on one Window in more detail.image.jpeg
This Pic shows close up detail of the Roofing after addition of the Plasticard Slates. Inevitably I have distressed just a few.image.jpeg
On the Bench with some of the Windows Test Fitted. These have had the inserts taken out and the Frames all Sprayed Halfords Undercoat Brown. At some time the Timberwork on the Building was all Brown and on one of my visits had weathered quite badly. I have represented this by Dry Brushing with Red and Brown Acrylic. Topped off with a coat of EDM Models Weathered Wood Stain. This has also been used on the Hips Stonework and Bricks to Weather them some and pick out the detail a bit. The Bricks were first coloured Creme as was the Prototype.image.jpeg image.jpeg
Just the Doors and some messy detail to do, then it can be placed on the Layout. Then I will get started on the Goods Shed. This should not take anything like so long.

image.jpeg
JonD

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
That's a really superb bit of work, JonD! :)

Jon.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Fantastic result. .

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks guys, plus all your likes. Will update progress soon.
JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Just about finished the job today, at least it is now in place on the Layout. Just a few small jobs to do. 1 more door, the clock, gutters, downpipes and bedding it into the scene.

First up a couple of pics showing deatailed Stonework and Brickwork. Created as outlined in the first post of this Thread.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Next up some pictures showing the Internal Detailing I have been doing. The first one was a cutting from a Newspaper of an Office Scene which seamed appropriate for one of the upstairs Rooms.image.jpeg
Next one also a Newspaper Cutting of a Sitting Room.
image.jpeg
Then I monkeyed around with some pics of Friends in Pubs..
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Following up with some Station and Signalling interiors.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Once the Building is in place the effect is quite subtle. Unless I decided to put some lights inside.

Final pics showing the Building in place on the Layout, oh I redid the Colour on the Timberwork using some Garden Fence Colour which gave me more like the effect I was looking for. The 2 Doors are from Photo's of the real thing printed out and stuck to some Plastic Card glued inside the Walls.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Next up the Goods Shed.
JonD

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
What a great job. You sure have plenty of patience, but it provides a fantastic result
Thanks Greg, with jobs like this a little here and a little there gets it done over time. Sometimes I was in the workshop for short little 10 Minute bursts of activity. Sure you do the same with your outside Buildings. Fortunately this one does not need the resiliance required for an outside life.
JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
So much for Train Running. Decided to attent to some of the remaining jobs today. First up was the Sration Clock. This is a Triangular Construction with some rather nice Iron Moulding. First a Plasticard Triangular Box was Constructed. To this I added a couple Moldings from the end of some old LGB Coaches. The top had a but of Plastic from an old Dickie Boigie Muddle with the Curve cut off. A map pin finished off the detail, painted Dark Blue to match the Prototype, a Pic of the Clock reduced to size Glued on each side finished it off. Glued to the Building roughly where the Prototype is.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Next up the need for Gutters and Downpipe. Me recently built Pola Kit for my outside Magdesprung Station provided plenty of Brown and Silver Sprue. Never throw anything out! The brown was flattened with a file and the Sprue Bits filed off on ONE Side only. The others help to glue the Gutters on. Silver Sprue for the Downpipes was similarly shaped on one side only be removed the sprue, the remaining ones flattened to act as Downpipe Separation from the wall. Lots if angled cuts creates a meaningful set of Downpipes.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
As well as the jointed Downpipes, the final door to the Mitrooa Restraunt can be seen in place here.
image.jpeg
Finally an attempt to get a Real and Model Shot with my trusty 99-6001.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Not perfect, but it does for me.
JonD

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I'd say that is way more than close enough, JonD!
Though you seem to have much more trackwork there than at the real thing.......;)
Super job with the station build and indeed the whole setting.

Jon.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I'd say that is way more than close enough, JonD!
Though you seem to have much more trackwork there than at the real thing.......;)
Super job with the station build and indeed the whole setting.

Jon.
Thanks Jon, due to the topogrophy of the Shed the Track plan is the other way round sadly. So that the Junction for Harzegerode which is what this Trackwork is should actually be at the end of my Model Train. The Gernrode end of the Station behind the Camera should just have 2 Points to make the 3 Platform Roads. Had I built the Sheds on the other side of the Garden I could have got this right. But then there would have been no room for my Lindenburg Station. Compromise compromise compromise.
JonD

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Jon,
That is so bad it is GOOD!! :clap::clap::clap:

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Super!

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
Can I place an order for Christmas?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work JD....

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks guys, your praise is appreciated. If I was still into Commercial I would indeed take commisions. But that part of my life is behind me now. Though to be honest, buildings were not my thing. Just the complete Railway, but not very detailed. I left this to the Customer.
JonD

Reactions: 1 user