scaling up plans...

mmts

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Essex and you dont need your passport
Best answers
Country flag
Following on from RJR's excellent class 20 and 25 locos
I was wondering how to get the measurements scaled up from some plans/drawings.....

anyone???

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
You could buy or borrow a book of BR loco drawings, scan the drawing you want and copy it into powerpoint. Then expand it until it prints out to scale. You have to make sure you keep the height and width ration the same. Expand it to what you think is the right size and then print. Take one measurement and see how it compares to what it should be. Adjust the size in powerpoint accordingly and print again. Eventually you will get a 1:29 scale drawing.

You will of course have to print it on two or three pages of A4.

I did this for the PPM50 plans in the Railway Modeller and it gave me a good base for building the model.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
When printed form a powerpoint this coach will sacle out at 1:29 but it may not do so from the jpg here. As the measurements are on it you can experiment printing in various sizes until the dimensions shown come out right. Every other diemnsion will then also be right.
28d1fc611709463a9ad3f0412948ac72.jpg

Obvioulsy the any drawing is copyright but I guess it will be ok for your own use. I have cut the above back to only a very small part of the drawing so it is useless as a drawing but gives an idea of what I mean.

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
A variation on the powerpoint method is to use the standard windows paint program and scale the output when you print it. Again, scan the plan and then print it from Paint. Scale up a known dimension (eg the 7' wheelbase above should be 95mm at 1:22.5) and compare that to the print. If the wheelbase on the print was, say, 27mm then in Page setup set the scale to 352% and print it again.

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
I use th copier at work, as it can do A3 just keep adjusting the ratio until you get the corect size for the scale you need. Use a know measurement ie. wheels back to back and keep trying until it reaches 45mm

LTfan

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
steve parberry said:
I use th copier at work, as it can do A3 just keep adjusting the ratio until you get the corect size for the scale you need. Use a know measurement ie. wheels back to back and keep trying until it reaches 45mm

Just a thought from a past experience.
It's possible for a photocopier to enlarge X 2, say, but it may not do it evenly all the way across.
Different areas can be different magnifications.
Something to do with the mechanical bits inside?
So the copy could well be exactly double-size but the middle will be off-centre and any measurements you take from the copy could be iffy.

David

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
So, are you taking a tape measure to 37 003 at Dereham this weekend then?

mmts

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Essex and you dont need your passport
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
So, are you taking a tape measure to 37 003 at Dereham this weekend then?

dunno about that........

might try and tackle something with a few less curves to start with 50019 or 31235