impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Good review, good wagons.
Remember I mentioned Mel? well I can't remember if he built one or two, but one was certainly parked up at the Wetton Gooey interchange siding with a standard gauge wagon on it - probably a diorama as I can't think of it ever having been run on the 45mm track.
Oh and the Leek and Manifold had five wagons, four short and one long so if you are up for a kitbash :eek:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Oh and the Leek and Manifold had five wagons, four short and one long so if you are up for a kitbash :eek:

Don't think the L&M's were anything like this? - A lot more basic..

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
They
They looked basic because they were plated so you couldn't see the frames. They also were two lengths so long enough to fully accommodate the UK's shorter four wheel wagons and the six wheeled milk tanks so they had chopper couplings rather than coupling bars. They were effectively just another wagon.
Yatton do a 32mm one http://yattonmodelengineering.co.uk/leek.html a 45mm is more challenging to get the bogies to swing in that raised section! Yatton do it as a fixed 4 wheel wagon to get round this for 45mm.

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, in modelling terms they were, because all the gubbins was covered over; but they could also be converted to basic passenger carrying duties during 'Wakes Week' when the whole potteries area had their annual summer holidays, and the line worked overtime.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
This deserves a separate thread..
I have only ever seen that video of the old black and white film.. Probably need a 'Shires' book on the subject? ;)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
This deserves a separate thread..
I have only ever seen that video of the old black and white film.. Probably need a 'Shires' book on the subject? ;)
Yes, could be a good idea, although I understand that there are precious few pictures of the line - some came to light recently including that video.

However, here's a long distance shot of a holiday special train, and I'm fairly certain that the open 'carriages' are transporter wagons :nod::nod:

images

I think I've got more information in one of my books - I'll look it up over supper

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Quite co-incidentally given some of the posts above (re converting wagons to 64mm for transport on rollwagens/rollbocks), the new issue of Gartenbahn Profi which turned up yesterday has a review article of some new items by Bertram Heyn designed for exactly that purpose - some new underframe parts to be used for converting Piko wagons, which are of course much more standard-gauge style than most LGB ones. I had a quick rummage on Heyn's website and turned up this item, which appears to be the conversion parts used in the article (I think you have to add the 64mm gauge wheelsets as a separate purchase):

https://www.modell-werkstatt.de/umruestsatz-piko-wagen-45-zu-64-mm

Jon.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I've started a Leek & Manifold thread in the appropriate area :nod::nod:

Reactions: 1 user

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The small black rectangle on one end of the coupling bars fits very well over a standard LGB coupling hook

Alan,

Sorry if i have missed this but do you have a picture of it fitted?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I'll go get one.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
DSCF2665 (Small).JPGDSCF2666 (Small).JPGDSCF2667 (Small).JPGDSCF2668 (Small).JPGDSCF2669 (Small).JPG

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Alan, like that neat design.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Alan, is the coupler bar all-plastic, or metal with a plastic end connector piece?

Jon.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The loops and adapter are plastic - the tube is metal. held together with tiny screws.

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
As mentioned on "Todays" thread the rollwagens made their appearance on the EG&SNNR:

DR-RollWagen-05.jpg

At the moment I've mounted one Piko standard-gauge wagon and one LGB narrow-gauge wagon on the rollwagens:

DR-RollWagen-01.jpg

I think the Piko wagon looks much more impressive than the LGB wagon. For starters the Piko wagon has buffers and looks the job so much so that I've decided that I'm going to get a Piko DR covered van to replace the LGB van.

One thing I had to do first was to ensure that the rollwagon and contents being carried would not foul the bridges on the layout:

DR-RollWagen-07.jpg

No problem so a happy bunny!!

Reactions: 2 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 users