Sand quarry extension

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
This is a project I've been planning for a year or so and have finally got started on

This is the railway as it stands now

PLR map coloured v1.png
And here is what I'm planning to add

PLR map coloured v2.png

Rik

Reactions: 1 users

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
As you can see, the new extension is actually also a reverse loop - so I will now have two reverse loops. I think this will make life a bit more interesting when visitors come.

When running the railway as an end to end during operating sessions, the new extension will provide a couple of new opportunities.
1. The sand quarry can be operated independently - no need to run round trains at Bickerton Station
2. The new link to the quarry will supposedly be a link to Peckforton Castle - so the quarry will have a double identity. I might disguise this scenically somehow with some sort of castle gateway on the new link and maybe add a siding for the castle.

Progress so far.

Here's the quarry siding as was .....
DSCN3372.JPG

Here's where the new retaining wall for the widened raised bed will go
DSCN3384.JPG

Here's where I'm up to in constructing the new retaining wall.
DSCN3426.JPG

I'm waiting a few days for the cement to fully harden before filling the raised-bed with soil and using the concrete breeze blocks as trackbed.
DSCN3427.JPG

At the moment - rain has stopped play anyway ......

Rik

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Looking forward to following this!

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Great track plans Rik. Looking forward to the progress of this thread.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ah! Working in the garden..
I can watch someone doing it for hours.. :p;)
:D

PhilP

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Ah! Working in the garden..
I can watch someone doing it for hours.. :p;)
:D

PhilP
Sadly, I have no one to do it for me :(
Happily, that makes it a refuge for me :clap:
Not, I hasten to add, that I'm a real gardener.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
A bit more progress. The weather in this part of the world hasn't been conducive to working outside recently, but at least it gave the concrete a chance to set.

The trackbed went down at the end of last week ......
IMG_3239.JPGIMG_3240.JPG

And tracklaying started yesterday. I've been trying to use up the spare track I've had in store but am beginning to realise that a left hand R3 would be far better than one of three right-hand R3s I have available - even though that will shorten the loop. So, a small hiatus while I await its delivery.
IMG_3249.JPGIMG_3251.JPG

Fortunately, I have plenty of other work to occupy my time.

Rik

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A bit more progress. The weather in this part of the world hasn't been conducive to working outside recently, but at least it gave the concrete a chance to set.

The trackbed went down at the end of last week ......
View attachment 312533View attachment 312534

And tracklaying started yesterday. I've been trying to use up the spare track I've had in store but am beginning to realise that a left hand R3 would be far better than one of three right-hand R3s I have available - even though that will shorten the loop. So, a small hiatus while I await its delivery.
View attachment 312535View attachment 312536

Fortunately, I have plenty of other work to occupy my time.

Rik
James could have helped out with one of the R3 points that I procured from casey jones snr casey jones snr , sure we could have come to a better price than buying a new one.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
James could have helped out with one of the R3 points that I procured from casey jones snr casey jones snr , sure we could have come to a better price than buying a new one.
Is that offer still available? Two left hand points would be even better than one for what I have in mind.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
This photo shows the extension in its entirety. I've managed to lay one of the loops but am awaiting the arrival of the LH point before I can finish off the other loop.
IMG_3259.JPG

Rik

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Looks fantastic, Rik. Really enjoy watching the evolution of your railway!

2. The new link to the quarry will supposedly be a link to Peckforton Castle - so the quarry will have a double identity. I might disguise this scenically somehow with some sort of castle gateway on the new link and maybe add a siding for the castle.
ge_rik ge_rik , can you explain this a little more? Do you mean there will there will be direct access to the station by the castle? From the track plan (and my memory) it looks like it connects to the 'lower' line.

The castle gateway, regardless, sounds like an great idea. Scenic feature the train runs through or off to the side?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
All part of Rik's fiendish plan!
It depends how many times you have been round, which direction you are coming from, and where you look.. ;):D

PhilP

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Looks fantastic, Rik. Really enjoy watching the evolution of your railway!

ge_rik ge_rik , can you explain this a little more? Do you mean there will there will be direct access to the station by the castle? From the track plan (and my memory) it looks like it connects to the 'lower' line.

The castle gateway, regardless, sounds like an great idea. Scenic feature the train runs through or off to the side?
Phil has more or less hit the nail on the head. When coming into the extension from the Bickerton end trains are going into the sand quarry ( as before), but when accessing the extension from the Peckforton end, trains will be going to Peckforton Castle. The gateway will be on the Peckforton end to signify entering the castle grounds.

When running the railway as PLR ( ie from Beeston Market to Bickerton and vice versa, the fact the two ends of the extension are linked will be ignored. I'll only use it as a through line when I get visitors or when I just fancy running trains round and round.

Hope that makes sense.

Rik

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Is that offer still available? Two left hand points would be even better than one for what I have in mind.

Rik
Indeed so PM sent

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks to Dunnyrail, the bulk of the work on the extension is now finished. The track has been laid and a couple of test trains have been successfully run over the new (secondhand) metals.

DSCN3442.JPGDSCN3443.JPG

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I have even started work on the gatehouse for the Peckforton Castle end of the extension. Looks more like a set of kids' building blocks at this stage but it will improve .......
IMG_3280.JPGIMG_3281.JPG

And this is what inspired it. Mine is very much a Gatehouse-Lite version .....
PK gatehouse1.jpg

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Now done a bit more work on the gatehouse. I went to my local builders' merchant and bought two more Thermalite blocks. Give him his due, the chap behind the counter didn't bat an eyelid and even loaded them into the boot of my car.
IMG_3291.JPG

IMG_3293.JPG

I've now smoothed down the outer surfaces (a couple of hours' work with a rasp) and made a start on some of the detailing. It will take a while yet but it's beginning to take shape.

Such a contrast to normal model making where we start with nothing and gradually build it up. Working with Thermalite blocks is the opposite - start with a big chunk of something and whittle away at it. A bit messy but very satisfying.

Rik