Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
get up into the hopper?

I'm thinking of building a small sand house for my trailer layout - having been inspired by a thread on GSC. I've trawled the net and realise that sand houses come in all shapes and sizes - so I can freelance without any problems!

What I would like to know is how the dried sand gets up into the hopper - is it blown up a pipe and, if so, what provided the air supply?

Mick

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
I seem to remember reading that the loco's air-line is connected to a pipe in the sandhouse to raise the sand to the hopper. Otherwise I guess they could have an oil-powered air-blower, or use an Archimedian screw if the pipe was straight.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Yes thanks Pugwash - like the idea but it wouldn't be right for what I want and, besides, the sand would get wet. It would be great for a sand quarry/pit though!

Thanks C&S. The idea of the loco's airline being used sounds most likely - therefore I will put in a pipe from the sand house to the hopper. I just look at things from a logical point of view and suspected that it would be blown up but never thought of the loco!

Mick