Sabresteam hve you seen the new website?

Ghosty

Registered
7 Jun 2011
Best answers
Has anybody noticed that Rob Cooper of Sabresteam seems to have a new website, and that the company has 20 years of experience. They are still offering a flue cleaning brush in their kit, still waiting for mine. My Annette no 40 is at present being re-built elsewhere as it could never have worked. See previous thread with report, Sabresteam can be found at http://www.sabresteam.com have a look!
Pete Hillman

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
" the top of my head was in danger of falling off!"
Hmmmmm, not something you want to happen really.
The quote was in customers comments or some such page.

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
Seriously weird and see this site was posted on 17th August!! Still seems to be Rob Cooper according to email address. I see that the registered office address is also posted ? so if anyone wants to get hold of him....

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
Ghosty said:
Sabresteam can be found at http://www.sabresteam.com, < Link To www.sabresteam.com, have a look!
Took a second try to notice the comma in the link causes a problem.
The testimonials seem to relate to David, so not too recent!

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
Most odd. I was told by "Thumper" that Rob says he's closed down Sabre Steam because of the libel (sic) and an illness. Apparently he couldn't sell it.
It's most odd that someone who tells his US agent that he is closing down the business redesigns the web site at the same time.
Still, we've been warned.
I received a very nice present yesterday from Gordon Watson ("taperpin") of a new grate/ash pan and blast pipe for my Annette. I have tried the grate and it is . . . . grate. The next step is to try the blast pipe. Full report later.
Steve

Ghosty

Registered
7 Jun 2011
Best answers
Yes, perhaps all those past customers of Sabresteam whos testimonials that are being used on the new website may want to speak to Rob Cooper!!.

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
I was wrong about the association of 65 Lodge Road with Dave Cooper (my apologies) which is why I edited my previous reply. However 65 Lodge Road makes for interesting reading. It's the address of Mik Singh ACMA http://www.aims.co.uk/aims.asp?office_number=185
It gives an e-mail address and phone number, which may be helpful for anyone who is having difficulty contacting Sabre Steam
Steve

thumper

Live Steam, Gardening, Golf, Grand Children and Ro
22 Jan 2010
Livonia, Michigan, USA
Best answers
400Parker said:
Most odd. I was told by "Thumper" that Rob says he's closed down Sabre Steam because of the libel (sic) and an illness. Apparently he couldn't sell it.
It's most odd that someone who tells his US agent that he is closing down the business redesigns the web site at the same time.
Still, we've been warned.
I received a very nice present yesterday from Gordon Watson ("taperpin") of a new grate/ash pan and blast pipe for my Annette. I have tried the grate and it is . . . . grate. The next step is to try the blast pipe. Full report later.
Steve
---------------------------------
Steve, I need to set a couple things straight. First, I'm not a Sabre Steam "Agent" in the US. I considered myself a friend of David Cooper and I offered some help to his son who was attempting to continue the business his father started. In that regard, since I go to the Diamondhead, Mississippi International Steamup each January, I offered to demo/display and possibly sell a loco for Rob. If that makes me an "agent", sobeit, but it isn't a formal Agency relationship. I was truly hoping Rob would follow in his father's footsteps.

Now, with Rob telling me a while ago that he was attempting to sell it and then writing that Sabre Steam was closed, imagine my surprise to learn that a new site appeared and to top it off, my original testimonial was on the front page of the new site.

I've written Rob asking that he "cease and desist" further publication of my testimonial. I also shall do so with the owner of the new site. A copy of that email together with and exerpt from the email Rob sent me a couple days ago that he closed down the business follow. I hope this helps.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

----- Forwarded Message ----
Sent: Fri, August 26, 2011 8:08:39 AM
Subject: Remove Testimonials from both the OLD AND NEW INTERNET SITES

August 26, 2011

Rob, please remove the testimonial written by me about your father's work from
both the OLD and NEW Internet sites.

IT IS NOT AND CANNOT BE CONSTRUED AS BEING A TESTIMONIAL IN SUPPORT OF SABRE
STEAM AS IT EXISTS TODAY AND THE PRODUCTS IT PRODUCES TODAY! REMOVE IT FROM
BOTH SITES IMMEDIATELY, AND PLEASE BE COURTEOUS ENOUGH TO CONFIRM THAT IT HAS
BEEN REMOVED.

As a result of your email to me that you were closing down, I had no reason to
ask that the testimonial be removed. Now to SEE that a new site is now up in a
new format with my original testimonial on the front page is disturbing to say
the least.

Because of my concern about the misuse and possible misrepresentation of my
statements, a copy of this text and the email you sent to me telling me Sabre
Steam was closing down will be posted on G Scale Central.

Also, regarding the locomotives you sent to me for display and possible sale at
Diamondhead, you are aware that they were not in fact displayed as they were
not in marketable condition. You are also aware that both are in the process of
being rebuilt at this time because of SERIOUS mechanical and finish problems.

Again, I'm instructing you to immediately cease and desist in your unauthorized
presentation and distribution of testimonials I had written about your father's
work in building Annette No. 6.

Regards,

Will Lindley
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Exerpt from an email from Rob Cooper
Wed, August 24, 2011 11:50:23 AM fedex

// ................. Due to the situation and scare mongering here I have had to close Sabresteam. ....................
Kind Regards
Rob Cooper

Moderator note: Email addresses removed to protect the guilty.

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
My apologies Will. I omitted the word "unofficial". I hope no one gets the idea that you've been working in any official capacity on Sabre Steam's behalf. I know you were simply trying to help Dave Cooper establish his business in the US as a friend, and a very good job you seem to have done judging by the number of locos that Dave sold in the US. It's a shame Rob wasn't able to build on this success.
Steve

thumper

Live Steam, Gardening, Golf, Grand Children and Ro
22 Jan 2010
Livonia, Michigan, USA
Best answers
SABRE STEAM - NEW INTERNET SITE

[Posting Merged from Duplicate Sabre Steam Website Thread - Gareth (3valve)]

First, let me qualify this posting as it is done with only a small amount of information as the true owner is not identified. Note the difference in names between the original site which is sabresteam.co.uk and new site which is sabresteam.com

The problem I have with this site is the claim that the Company listed on the sabresteam.com site has more than 20 years experience when in fact the original Sabre Steam was barely 2 years old. Further, they have used testimonials, mine in particular, which would give the implication that there is support in the market place for this new company. I HAVE NOT BEEN CONTACTED BY THE NEW COMPANY AND I HAVE NOT GIVEN SUPPORT IT. Below is the "Cease and Desist" email I sent to the Company this morning.
----------------------
Sabre Steam - Internet Site Testimonials

// Mr. Singh:

You are hereby instructed to immediately cease and desist in the use of
testimonials in the Sabre Steam Internet site for which your firm has posted.

The original testimial was written with regard to a good friend, who is now
deceased, in support of the work he did.

You do not now nor have you ever provided evidence of anything you have done
which would support such a testimonial.

IT IS NOT AND CANNOT BE CONSTRUED AS BEING A TESTIMONIAL IN SUPPORT OF SABRE
TEAM AS IT EXISTS TODAY AND THE PRODUCTS IT PRODUCES TODAY! REMOVE IT FROM BOTH
SITES IMMEDIATELY, AND PLEASE BE COURTEOUS ENOUGH TO CONFIRM THAT IT HAS
BEEN REMOVED.

Because of my concern about the misuse and possible misrepresentation of my
statements, a copy of this text will be posted on G Scale Central.

Again, I'm instructing you to immediately cease and desist in your unauthorized
presentation and distribution of testimonials I had written about your Mr. David
Cooper's work in building Annette No. 6.
Regards,
Will Lindley

Moderator note: Email addresses removed to protect the guilty.

Drummond

Registered
27 Aug 2011
Best answers
Blimey! I'd not seen the new thingie, I had a hard enough time trying to contact Rob on the old site.

I am the bloke who bought no. 18 secondhand, from the airline pilot near Sidmouth. It never went, not least because the blower was only very approximately in line with the blastpipe. I know that Rob hadn't a clue, but this was one of David's locos.
I now have no.0, the original Annette which is in all the advertising. That does not go, either....the blower is blocked.

Bah humbug!

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Drummond said:
I now have no.0, the original Annette which is in all the advertising. That does not go, either....the blower is blocked.
I spoke to "Drummond" yesterday evening about this, and it appears the blower pipe is arranged in such a way that access to it for unblocking purposes is well nigh impossible without removing the smokebox. This in itself should be a simple job, only hampered by the excessive amount of sticky red jollop used to seal and stick it to the boiler.

Drummond

Registered
27 Aug 2011
Best answers
Hello Tony- yes you did and I now have the jollop all over the place!
I think that it's Hermetite Red semi-hardening gasket compound, those of you with old cars will know what I'm talking about. Available at the motor factors.
It should go on thinly, Sabre seem to have used it as an alternative to engineering.....

Tim

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
I try to avoid using any gasket compound. It will degrade and break up and will block narrow pipes and ports.
I have just rebuilt a loco that had this stuff used all over the place, one of the piston ports was completely bunged up with it so the loco could never have run.
If you need a gasket get some gasket paper and make one or lap the faces together on glass. As you say its no substitute for engineering.........

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
DJB Engineering recommends using Plumba Flue, which is a high temperature silicone sealant (and is also red). I think that's what Sabre Steam has used - though not enough in the case of my Annette, because I only recently discovered my smokebox leaked like the proverbial. No wonder I've had problems with it drawing the fire all along.
Steve

David BaileyK27

Registered
13 Nov 2009
Best answers
I think you are getting confused on this "gasket" material, for cylinder joints I reccomend paper gaskets but for sealing Smokeboxes where they join the barrel or in similar situatons I use Firestop 400 or a similar high temperature sealant, with the excess cleaned off before it sets, there is no chance then that this material can get into the Blower or Cylinders.
David Bailey DJB Model Engineering Ltd

John Morgan

Steam Traction
23 Jun 2011
Norfolk
Best answers
Gary,

The comments about the wide grin were from me actually.
I can honestly say that the locos David Cooper made for me have run and still run well. In fact I ran Annabel today for almost two hours before the smoke box clagged up and only then because I was running with the really smokey stuff. I have sympathy with other Sabre Steam owners, but I still grin with pleasure when I run them, lucky I guess. You can see them running on Youtube, type in "llanwellyn" and watch the uploads, no problems at all.
I have emailed Sabre today to ask them to remove the testimonial comments which relate to my name as they were for the first genration locos David Cooper built. I also mentioned the Local Trading Standards may be interested as the comments relate to other work done by the late David Cooper and not by the present set up.

John.
http://cms.walsall.gov.uk/index/business/trading_standards.htm
P.S. For the info of those who feel that not enough is being done on this matter.

HGLR

Registered
9 Nov 2009
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
For what worth, when speaking to Rob Cooper a couple of months ago he mentioned in passing that he was having a new web site designed by BT. Perhaps the new owner of the business also took over the BT design work, which would have included the testimonials as they then stood, although now obviously inappropriate for the "new" business.

Mike