Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Hope this is the right place for this.

I vaguely remember reading some while ago that people have connected multiple EPL point motors to the same output channel on a LGB or Massoth 4 channel decoder. The example I think I recall was to make a pair of points operate together ensuring a route such as a crossover from one main line to another is automatically set/unset in the correct (and safe) manner.

I'm interested in the long-term performance of the decoder when doing this as I have a situation like the one above, and it would save me a decoder channel on one of my 4-channel decoders to link 2 points to a single channel and potentially help me avoid buying another decoder.

Any feedback from people using this approach would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The technical specifications in the manual for the Massoth 4K II Switch Decoder, #8156101 says "Function Outputs max. 1.5A per Output (2 EPL drives)". So at least this decoder should be able to operate 2 EPL drives on each output without a problem. And, after checking the website, the newest Märklin/LGB 4 circuit switch decoder, No. 55525 also has the same amperage limits as the Massoth decoder, 3A total, 1.5A per function output. Don't know about the earlier decoders. The manual I have for the LGB 55025 does not provide info on current output limits.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I have driven two point motors from a Massoth single channel decoder and one output of a Massoth 4 channel decoder, no problems in either case.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I do the same, especially on cross-overs. I will run both motors from the same decoder output.

I set the operating pulse to 7 so that both motors get a good kick....

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I do the same, especially on cross-overs. I will run both motors from the same decoder output.

I set the operating pulse to 7 so that both motors get a good kick....

Same never had any trouble.

AlanL

Registered
1 Mar 2016
Northampton
Best answers
Country flag
I've ran LGB and Massoth 4 channel decoders switching pairs of EPL point drives for many years without any problems. The decoder pulse on both is at the default setting.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the info - much appreciated