Running LGB U Class cab first.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you @65 1057 for the additional detail. For me this is one of the joys of this forum. I have little knowledge of how the various valve gears work but I know that when I do someone on here will be able to help me understand without being patronising. Like dunnyrail dunnyrail says it would be nice if our plastic models reflected that reality but they are complex, fragile and expensive enough as it is.

Next time I have the White Pass Mike out I'll make a little video showing how it works...................looks cool!!

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I never said that. It is, after all, all metal, apart from the c*appy LGB bits, that is.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I never said that. It is, after all, all metal, apart from the c*appy LGB bits, that is.
Also part of the issue - everyone moans about Bachmann, but at least the motion is metal, and is also metal on the Anniversary versions of the 4-6-0 and onwards.

LGB insists on using plastic - have just seen an 0-6-0 LGB diesel on evilbay with a broken coupling rod :emo:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Also part of the issue - everyone moans about Bachmann, but at least the motion is metal, and is also metal on the Anniversary versions of the 4-6-0 and onwards.

LGB insists on using plastic - have just seen an 0-6-0 LGB diesel on evilbay with a broken coupling rod :emo:
Have to say in the old days the LGB valve gear was pretty near i destructible though I did manage to brake a rod on my Brown 0-6-6-0 Mallett, fortunately easily fixed with some very small screws and a bit of thin ally.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Have to say in the old days the LGB valve gear was pretty near i destructible though I did manage to brake a rod on my Brown 0-6-6-0 Mallett, fortunately easily fixed with some very small screws and a bit of thin ally.
I believe that the U class was regularly troublesome as well :nod:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I notice the the valve gear is set for reverse - is that an accident of does the loco move the gear dependent on the direction of travel, like it does on my white Pass Mike?
I have been reading some British Rail Illustrated where there was talk about this related to LNER Pacifics where the rear of the Radius Rod Is lower on the curved bit it is in forwards gear (BRI V12 No.10 p457). It appears however this is not 100% the normal as on some tank engines the opposite can be the case. The reasons are apparently quite technical as the letter in BRI V12 No.12 p586 refers. This has been a bit of a live and learn for me, but at least now when I look at my Roundhouse Locomotives I can tell how the Gear is set by looking at them. That is if I remember, incidentally it is the same as the LNER Pacifics!