RS-3 repaint in UP colors.

Jerry Barnes

Garden Railways, Live Steam, Jukeboxes, Record Col
27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
I bought a used RS-3 that had a bad blue paint job. I wanted it to help push my UP rotary snow plow build, so I stripped it and painted it in UP colors. Stan did the decals for me. I did put in some LED interior lights, they were burned out. Used a 470ohm resistor with those. The LED's in the front and rear headlight boards just pull out and you can clip the leads on the new ones and plug them back in, usually brighter/nicer.

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
A really great job. I used to run a bit UP in my HO days. Also had a bit of time for the old ATSF.

Love the song Atchison,Topeka and Santa FE. :applause:

Lordraglan274

Too much of a good thing is nearly enough.
25 Oct 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag
Superb paint job and the lining out is nice and straight.....is it a transfer/tape or have you got a really steady hand?
Where did you get the correct paint colours from? I would like to paint up some box cars into UP as I have a number of UP diesels.

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
Wow If you had not said I'd have thought it was supposed to come in those colours. Great Job. :applause:

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks guys,
The stripes are vinyl, you can get it at car stores or hobby shops. My wife had a sign business and still has her vinyl cutter and made me some stripes. I used spray cans for the colors. XO Rust was the brand name, 'Caution Yellow'. Krylon primer was the gray, with a clear coat over it after I got the decals on. I've notice UP locomotives in different yellows, so they can't find the right color sometimes either! I did weather it a bit with chalks, but no pix of that yet.

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Jerry Barnes - 5/12/2009 3:17 AM

Thanks guys,
The stripes are vinyl, you can get it at car stores or hobby shops. My wife had a sign business and still has her vinyl cutter and made me some stripes. I used spray cans for the colors. XO Rust was the brand name, 'Caution Yellow'. Krylon primer was the gray, with a clear coat over it after I got the decals on. I've notice UP locomotives in different yellows, so they can't find the right color sometimes either! I did weather it a bit with chalks, but no pix of that yet.

Oh no, it looked grand as it was.

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
<font color="#006600"><font size="3"><font face="comic sans ms,sand">You're not without supporters over here Jerry. :applause: I recall one or two in the 'olde' place that had a great fondness for Armour Yellow coloured rolling stock. :D
</font></font></font>

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Looks Brillaint Jerry , would never have guessed it was a repaint

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Excellant work, Jerry - very professional. Hope my eight scratch-built UP passenger cars to go behind my Challenger (when I've finished them!) look half as good,

John.

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks guys. John, like to see pix of your UP passenger cars. I made my own streamliner cars 15 years ago, no one made them back then and I wanted a set. I only did 3, one a dome car. You can see them on my web site http://thescrr.com/

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Jerry - I've not included a dome car in my consist as I'm not quite sure how to construct the dome. I'll build the eight cars first then have a good think and spend some time working out how to do it. It'll be some time before the cars get finished, but I'll post some pix when they're done. I saw your set on your web site some time ago - very impressive. After I built my SP Daylight baggage car and then seeing your set, I thought, "I think I can do this." John.