Roundhouse Fowler video

Chris Bird

Steam,gardening, photography
14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Hi all
Here is a brief video of my Roundhouse Fowler hauling a very heavy mixed goods train. The Fowler is controlled by the Giantcod 2.4 ghz set and the pre FG burner is wrapped in fine nichrome mesh which makes it much quieter. It was filmed on one of those few Spring days in early March.
The video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GORWQxwon8I and on my website news page. Cheers Chris

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent video ! I've been wondering about getting a Fowler but I was always put off by the open cab , I may have to think again.:love:

Chris Bird

14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Thanks Garry - this is an early model without the rivets on the smoke-box. I sprayed the smoke-box matt black and the cab roof satin black. The buffer beam is a Ford red, I put real coal in the tender and modified the lamp. I have to say that I am a fan of narrow gauge tender locos - and this has the been the best runner of any I have tried.
jpg.gif
Fowler Matt.jpg
Cheers
Chris

E

Elmtree Line

Hi Chris.

Just Fitted a chuffer in one of my Fowlers (eventually) found it almost impossible to put the engine back together again though. I seem to have a reception issue with the receiver in the tender too, then nearly ran her off the end of a cliff into thin air where a bridge will soon be, ahhh well they do say things come in three's so all should be fine now :D

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
i really enjoyed the video-

fowlers are really lovely-driver did his bit well,  

sounds close to my SRRL, but a bit more crisp in the exhaust 

Chris Bird

14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Keith - that sounds like a bad day! When you said almost impossible - that means you managed it I guess. Was it getting those smoke-box screws in past the pipes? Regarding R/C, I had no problem with the 27 mhz but switched to the really cheap Giantcod 2.4 ghz. It is superb and never a glitch.
I do hope that is the last of the troubles......
Steve - yes Roy did a great job with the driving - but on balance, I would rather have a SRRL!
Cheers
Chris

E

Elmtree Line

The screws back end of the cylinders almost behind the back top corners were the ones i had problems with, they would not go in straight, i'm not happy with the sound either, i dont think the chuffer is where it should be to get the best echo, may have to live with it as there's no way i'm taking her apart again.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Enjoyed the video - sounds (and looks) great. NIce decent rake of rolling stock too!
Mick

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
stevedenver said:
snip<

fowlers are really lovely-

:D ah, you have such great taste.....:love:
ddeea7e9b6d341ff89082c6fcccd2ed0.jpg

Chris Bird

14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Now that's a fine pair of locos Neil!
And thanks Mick for the kind words.
Keith - I have emailed you off list to see if I can help with the Fowler tuning.
Cheers
Chris