Roundhouse Engineering “Hercdog”.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
The CFR has taken delivery of a new locomotive:-
2B41E14D-D2A7-4731-8955-96F2F10C0CFD.jpeg

The locomotive is a special commission from Roundhouse and is a Bulldog body matched with a Hercules chassis.

166EC69F-485A-4B98-BD7C-6A7428B41540.jpeg
The locomotive will join the CFR industrial fleet.

B99F5FF4-077C-437A-BD11-479460EB5D96.jpeg

Here she is at the CFR, she has been named “Elise” and is numbered 34. She is on her acceptance trials.

Reactions: 1 user

James M

Registered
5 Feb 2017
Essex
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Bit sneaky putting it in front of a Fairlie, now that would be a Loco to own. But reading the latest 16mm Society Review just a little more complex to run.

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Netherlands, near Aachen ;-)
Best answers
Country flag
Ive never liked Bulldogs boxy apperance combined with the cranks and connecting rods. This is just right and refers to Feldbahn diesels from Jung, DIEMA, O&K etc.

James M

Registered
5 Feb 2017
Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Ordered mine, due in December. Great idea Paul!

Reactions: 1 user

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you, Casey/Paul,

Most helpful, but disappointed to see it appears to be the Delrin system.
This is OK for lighter loads, but I have experience of the chains stretching over time.
Removing a link helps, for a while, but it eventually snaps.
An Essel chassis in now on it's third chain. Stephen Lacey said I'm working it hard!

I would be interested to see how Hercdog progresses.

On another thread, how is NDM6, with it's motor replacement problems?
I recently acquired one.
Again, other MFA gearboxes tend to wear!

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you, Casey/Paul,

Most helpful, but disappointed to see it appears to be the Delrin system.
This is OK for lighter loads, but I have experience of the chains stretching over time.
Removing a link helps, for a while, but it eventually snaps.
An Essel chassis in now on it's third chain. Stephen Lacey said I'm working it hard!

I would be interested to see how Hercdog progresses.

On another thread, how is NDM6, with it's motor replacement problems?
I recently acquired one.
Again, other MFA gearboxes tend to wear!
Rob, the NDM-6 is performing well. After the problems with the 15:1 ratio gearboxes they were replaced with 30:1 ratio gearboxes. They are working very well and the NDM-6 has now covered over 500 actual miles since they were installed.
The Hercdog has already clocked up over 100 miles since entering service on the CFR.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
100 actual real miles? That is a good distance for a little engine

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
Paul,

Checked my NDM6, and it has 15:1 gearboxes. This may explain my initial disappointment in its haulage on my grades.
It runs well enough otherwise, and recovers steam locos, on the level. I may change the gearing in due course.

Incidentally, I acquired a pair of Roundhouse chassis kits, and have already changed both of these from 15:1 to 30:1, much better.

Thanks for your help.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Paul,

Checked my NDM6, and it has 15:1 gearboxes. This may explain my initial disappointment in its haulage on my grades.
It runs well enough otherwise, and recovers steam locos, on the level. I may change the gearing in due course.

Incidentally, I acquired a pair of Roundhouse chassis kits, and have already changed both of these from 15:1 to 30:1, much better.

Thanks for your help.
You are welcome Rob.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
100 actual real miles? That is a good distance for a little engine
Paul, on a normal running day a Hercules, Bulldog, Little John or the Hercdog will cover 12.1/2 actual miles before I change over to another locomotive. The NDM-6 will run all day and cover 25 miles. The Cricceths and Harlechs will only cover 8 miles before changing locomotive.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Paul, on a normal running day a Hercules, Bulldog, Little John or the Hercdog will cover 12.1/2 actual miles before I change over to another locomotive. The NDM-6 will run all day and cover 25 miles. The Cricceths and Harlechs will only cover 8 miles before changing locomotive.
Wow

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Six months to the day since collecting my first Hercdog from Roundhouse Engineering, I collected my second Hercdog. She has been named “Lucy” and will be in service this weekend.
It seems that I am unable to post pictures at the moment. I quote,“The upload failed because the temporary directory was missing. The site administrator will need to resolve this before any files can be loaded”.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Rob, the NDM-6 is performing well. After the problems with the 15:1 ratio gearboxes they were replaced with 30:1 ratio gearboxes. They are working very well and the NDM-6 has now covered over 500 actual miles since they were installed.
The Hercdog has already clocked up over 100 miles since entering service on the CFR.
Rob, a update on the NDM-6. The locomotive required another gearbox after failing again. It’s back in service now.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Paul,

Thanks for your help.
15:1 has always seemed a bit IMHO. Apart from anything else, batteries provide better and longer power (I'll bet there's a more technical term) if the motor can spin faster. One of the early problems that I experienced with my first battery loco on an early IP chassis was stalling due to the high gearing.

I would suggest that 30:1 is a minimum for a line that is not absolutely dead flat :nod::nod: