Roco Fleischmann Z21 digital system

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
I'll take photos later as it's packed up from Sundays show, I can't find the diagram I was sent to clarify the Uhlenbrock instructions but I don't use the E-short circuit wire part and it's now done three 2 day shows and a one day one, making 7 full days of 7-8 hours continuous at a show without issue. Yes we have had shorts but the booster trips out and resets once it's gone.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Ok found this one I took before I upgraded the output wiring to 8amp, (this was 6 amp wire).
The red and yellow on the left come from the track output of the Z21 straight into the C & D inputs.
The blue and green are the input from the transformer and the right hand yellow and red pair are the track output from the booster. Note the DIP switch setting and that this is a power 7 booster.
image.jpg

morionds

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
13 Feb 2015
Best answers
great !!! thanks really !!
I do not think it was possible also because Roco sells adapters for booster cde .
Probably this booster has this ability and it is a brilliant idea!
thanks a lot
Francesco

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I think the reason is the type of booster, note on the diagram that you posted the one of the LDT's shows with the adaptor while another is without. THis is why I couldn't split the 8 amp output of the Power7 into 3 2.5 amps areas using circuit breakers as they wouldn't work with the Uhlenbrock but do with the NCE and Digitrax ones. It's pretty confusing so I searched until I found someone who had done it and followed their instructions and it works ;)

morionds

13 Feb 2015
Best answers
Today the courier handed me the transformer built on my requests 220V / 16 V 200 VA.
Than i tryed to connect as Paul show the z21 to the Power 8 booster and all work very well !!!
Thank you very much !!!

- z21 120€
- booster power 8 149€
- transformer 45€

So with 314€ I've got mine DCC System with 8A power ...!!! Great

Thanks Francesco

morionds

13 Feb 2015
Best answers
Today I installed the z21 in an hold railway phone box ...

7ef11f93cc7551aae58fe0751a26ddd2.jpg

8f572870adeeadba3d6af31ee160505f.jpg

Now it's ready to install in My garden !!

Thanks a lot ;)

morionds

13 Feb 2015
Best answers
Goodevening, I've a question ... Has anybody connect a feedback System to z21 by RBus or Xpressnet ??

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I am sure it will work, but not sure of wireless range..??

Why, oh why, do people insist on putting RF kit in metal boxes??

Perhaps wireless has six axes of movement, and can be enhanced by 4D printing! ??? ;) ;)

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I do wonder if damp and condensation might be a problem in a metal box. Not sure where you live, (like how warm and dry it is) but I understood that even an unheated garage was considered a bit damp for DCC kit to live in permanently..

MyMiniatureWorlds

31 May 2015
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Hi all,
I'm thinking about going for a similar setup as described in this thread. I already got Z21 and would just need to buy the Uhlenbrock Power 8 and a transformer. This seems very attractive considering the total cost.

Are there any active users of that setup? Are you happy with it? Any disadvantages you've noticed? What's your DCC voltage on the track and does it strongly depend on power consumption?

Thanx!

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Mines the power7 setup but it seems happy for hours on end, track voltage is set to 20 for G and I've run 7 locos with sound happily on the track and 2-3 going. The only issues I've had were with older handsets occasionally freezing but doesn't seem to affect new ones, but like laptops getting cranky when older. Also had a show where something upset the wifi communication at the same time both days so I came to the conclusion it was a powerful external signal, I just reset the base unit and within 20 seconds all back to normal. Didn't have it at the other shows before or since but it's something to be aware of and I'm getting a corded controller as an emergency for exhibitions if this happens again. I had similar with the LGB radio throttles but the interference there caused random movements or reprogramming which the Z21 hasn't suffered so it seems more secure.

morionds

13 Feb 2015
Best answers
Dear Philp, in our italian forum the forum writers had the same your doubts.
When i use z21 the door is open and i can raise the antenna so i haven't any troubles with the wi-fi signal.
Second, this is a very old box, about 1930 i think and some of this are already installed with a phone-wound and they work today too.
It's Watertight and That's still the gasket in good condition !!

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

morionds

13 Feb 2015
Best answers
I bought a trasformer with 16 V ac for the booster power8 and 12 V ac for house lights and other ... And i pleced it in the old Housing phone battery so it can't make RF disturb ;)

This system work very well, i use it with abuot 4 train (lgb Shoema, stainz, RhB cocco, mallet 2085...) with sound smoke and so on and i haven't any problems!
I try the apple app and the android one ... The apple one permit to test the function while you are building the machine configuration ... The android one don't permit it so you have to remeber witch number of function is the smoke, wich one sound ecc ecc

I spent:
120€ for z21
149€ for booster
35€ for toroidal transformer tailored
Total 304€

A massoth set is about around 900/1000€ ... So it's great ;)

Bye Francesco

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

alex.j.tame

Registered
28 Oct 2014
East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Morning everyone,

Following on from this, tested format using the Uhlenbrock Power 8 booster, I would like top pose this possibility, bearing in mind I am not an electronics wizard!

In an effort the increase to output A of the Power 8, has anyone considered using the Massoth DiMax 1203B 12A booster. From the document http://www.massoth.com/downloads/handbuch/8141001_v100_1207_en_letter.pdf , it would appear that connections are very similar.

I know the cost is somewhat higher, but for an extra 100 or so Euros, you potentially get the additional 4A extra.

I have just had an USA train GP38 converted to DCC, thanks to GRS, and will hopefully look to get another "big boy" in the coming months.

My track is 95% complete, http://littleslice.uk/mbrr/images/pictures/track/P1040064b.gif , following our recent weather improvement!, so will be looking to getting this running in the next month or so.

All comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

TIA everyone,

Al

Chris Wright

Rev-Up
7 Jun 2016
Cumbria, penrith
Best answers
I tried the Power 7 worked six weeks then fell over taking a Massoth decoder with it. Both replaced by both factories. Second Power 8 fell over in days never got to find out from factory the problem. Went to a Bachmann 5amp booster no problem with signal protocol in use six months and a solid two days with exhibition layout. Layout that used Digitrax turnout units no problem. Now happy