Road-Rail Plant....a Digger Conversion!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I recently brought a blue/red digger at a Garden Railway exhibition in Brandon, for a fiver.
I think this was made by Bruder for some of the LGB Goods Sets. It was purchased for loading my hopper wagons, but I thought it would look great as one of those Road-Rail Plant vehicles you often see on track renewal possesions....

Reactions: 1 user

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
There is a yard in a village just a couple of miles away with several of these diggers, as well as dumper trucks, all fitted with rail wheels, and this was the inspiration for the conversion.

I'd brought some wheels of the wrong diameter for another project, so these have been used for the digger. Krizzy and I made a simple chassis using some 3mm and 5mm plasticard samples that a friend had given me, and this has been incorporated into the chassis of the doner vehicle.

A quick respray with Humbrol acrylic yellow has made the model look less toy like and more like what you see on the rails. Another coat of paint is needed to finish off the model, but for a few pounds, I've something which looks the part on my railway....

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Attaboy - 'snice :clap:

All you've got to do now is battery power it :D:D

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Rhinochugger said:
Attaboy - 'snice :clap:

All you've got to do now is battery power it :D:D

If I could get a G scale 'Black Beetle' Chuggy, I would have made it track powered.... :thinking:

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
Like it Giz, nice job. :clap:

Thanx Mel!

You still got that Merc truck? If you still don't want it, well, I have another pair of axles waiting.... :thinking:

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Gizzy said:
yb281 said:

Thanx Mel!

You still got that Merc truck? If you still don't want it, well, I have another pair of axles waiting.... :thinking:

Fraid not mate, it lives somewhere in the Colchester area now.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
Gizzy said:
yb281 said:

Thanx Mel!

Fraid not mate, it lives somewhere in the Colchester area now.
No worries mate?

We're off to Sheringham next weekend (40s weekend on the NNR), so I'll see if Starlings Toys has another one....

Chris

Trains, Model railways, Photography, Land Rover's
26 Oct 2009
Somewhere cold and damp
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Gizzy

Here are a couple of pictures of a Harz metre gauge road railer earlier this year.

92229d241aa045a690a1337ed77d1269.jpg

b4716d1cede944d2832e8708274098a9.jpg

04bbb862955642548e74f6ea0fd4762e.jpg

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Chris said:
Hi Gizzy

Here are a couple of pictures of a Harz metre gauge road railer earlier this year.

images

images

images

Thanks Chris!

Looks like that one uses the road tyres to drive the rail wheels....

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
for sure it does, Gizzy.

on Standard gauge the tires are directly on the rails and the railwheels are just guiding.
But on narrow gauge, you would have to propell the thing on the ties....so thats a clever solution!

Greetings

Frank

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
It's too clean! The model, not the real one. Get the mucky paints out, spray, spray, spray....:party::clown::confused::*:happy:
What full moon?

Meanwhile, back in reality (or this just perceived reality? Go and watch Inception) I have a spare LGB short shank motor, if you find a way of fitting it I'll send it to you. Can't wait to see it doing express speeds down the straights...:D:eek:nphone:

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
coyote97 said:
for sure it does, Gizzy.

on Standard gauge the tires are directly on the rails and the railwheels are just guiding.
But on narrow gauge, you would have to propell the thing on the ties....so thats a clever solution!

Greetings

Frank
On some of the ones I've seen operating here in the UK Frank, I believe the rail wheels are driven by a separate hydraulic motor. On others, the road wheels are clear of the rails and they rotate in the opposite direction to the rail wheels.

I drove past the yard near to where I live today, and I made a note of the name of the company there. I've just googled them and found a website, with movies of the vehicles they have for hire. Some of the plant has caterpillar tracks, which I would have thought would damage the rails. Watching the videos on the website confirmes this.

http://www.hydrex.co.uk/site/rail/movies/moviesone.htm
I have another pair of axles, so my next plant vehicle will probably be a Unimog lorry....