RhB Lights

craigwrdouglas2

Registered
29 Jun 2021
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All,

I have a Crocodile from 1978 that I upgraded to DCC years ago.

The thing I never really go sorted out was the directional lighting, so I am trying to sort this out now. The issue is really that there 3 lights + a cab on either end, and when the lights are on, there are all 3 + cab lit on the front and the right rear light (tail light) is on.

What this boils down to is that 2 lights + the cab (each end) are on based on the direction of the locomotive and lights being on.

the right hand light on either end is on when the lights are on, regardless of the direction, but there isn't a feed for that from the coder, so would need some logic.

Does anyone know of any hacks for this or any logic I could buy off the shelf so I don't have to build anything?

Thanks!

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Two questions. One, do you want to have the tail light feature? AFAIK that would only be on when the loco was running as a light engine, but some RhB guru may correct me. Two, what decoder did you fit when you upgraded it to DCC? You may need to wire those tail lights to a different output on the decoder.

craigwrdouglas2

Registered
29 Jun 2021
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,

Yes, I just want it to work like any other RhB locomotive that I have so the the tail light would be on when the lights are on.

It's a LGB MTS III decoder with the the plug cut off.

Thanks!

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
You will need to ground the 'right rear' light with a diode from both forward and reverse functions. This is for LGB decoders that do not have multiple function keys available. Other wise you can tie both lights to 2 different functions and have forward select front and 'right rear' lights and do the same with reverse selection rear and both lights. I do this all the time with decoders.