RGS Plow Flanger

largescale

Registered
30 Mar 2010
suffolk
Best answers
Good day Chaps
I have been trying to post this for a few days but no 'you may attach files' message appears so have given up 'til now.
I wanted to scratch build something different after Xmas and decided on this rather ugly beastie,Plow Flanger #2 of the Rio Grande Southern.It is made to 1.20.3 from plans enlarged from the fabulous 'Silver San Juan' book and is entirely scratch built from wood , brass and home cast truck side frames except for the wheels,coupling , air hose and one set of truck frames which I used as masters for casting the other set.
0705c3653f87467b8214aeb397060125.jpg

221672567cd54a5b8137071cf339cf2c.jpg

f3c0696dbd7047b1927997e23f7a1ff9.jpg

Regards
David

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
bet RICHIE will loves it!!!! AWESOME BEAST!!! kool item........hope he see this!!

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Nice one. Super build David. Are the trucks cast from brass or resin? I don't suppose you have any pics of your moulding and casting prcesses?

Mick

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
steven large said:
bet RICHIE will loves it!!!! AWESOME BEAST!!! kool item........hope he see this!!
O yes have just spotted this Steven :D
Looks fantastic well built with lovely detail :clap:
What loco's do you have to push it ??
Hope to get my OY finished this week new motor and fan is fitted :D

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
git!! now i feel totally inadequate,,,,,,

thats one of the nicest models i have seen of this plough,,,,,
actually,, come to think of it ,, its the only one,,,

im off to stick some lollypop sticks to a washing up bottle,,

bah,,,,

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
WOW! i wish i was capable. Build me one please.............. looks great!

largescale

Registered
30 Mar 2010
suffolk
Best answers
Old Git perleese!
The truck moulding was surprisingly easy.The masters are actually side frames from a scrap caboose I picked up at a sale which turned out to be exact for this build.The backs of the frames were filed flat and they were stuck to the bottom of a perspex choccy box with Bostick.The dental moulding powder,cheap pink and comes from craft shops,was mixed up and applied to the masters with much poking with a cocktail stick to get it into all the corners.After around three minutes the stuff is hardened and can be encouraged out of the choccy box.Give it a few more minutes and fill the mould you now have with car repair resin and leave to set.
Quite a bit of cleaning up is required but the results are worth it I think.
A word of warning though, only use your moulds once as they can deform and worse, shrink.
Regards
David

MR SPOCK

railways politics Human rights loud music
25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
cornwallrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
wow super job Dave, the finish is awesome, and trucks as well, shame the reward pints only go to five and can only add once,
looks heavy as well so should sit on the rails and hit the drifts and ballast without flinching,

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
well its very convincing,,,,,, i would very much like one,,,

trez bean all round i say,,,

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Wow! An excellent piece of work and craftsmanship.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
largescale said:
Old Git perleese!
The truck moulding was surprisingly easy.The masters are actually side frames from a scrap caboose I picked up at a sale which turned out to be exact for this build.The backs of the frames were filed flat and they were stuck to the bottom of a perspex choccy box with Bostick.The dental moulding powder,cheap pink and comes from craft shops,was mixed up and applied to the masters with much poking with a cocktail stick to get it into all the corners.After around three minutes the stuff is hardened and can be encouraged out of the choccy box.Give it a few more minutes and fill the mould you now have with car repair resin and leave to set.
Quite a bit of cleaning up is required but the results are worth it I think.
A word of warning though, only use your moulds once as they can deform and worse, shrink.
Regards
David

Thanks for that info David - never thought of Dental moulding plaster and, indeed, never knew it existed outside Dental labs!

Mick

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
Richie said:
steven large said:
O yes have just spotted this Steven :D
Looks fantastic well built with lovely detail :clap:
What loco's do you have to push it ??
Hope to get my OY finished this week new motor and fan is fitted :D
:clap: it great to hear from u agian as the weather are awful for the past week! lol.
so how is yr OY?

largescale

Registered
30 Mar 2010
suffolk
Best answers
Mick
Its not the plaster its the pink powder,made from seaweed I think,that sets like rubber.Brand name UNODENT.
I got mine from a craft shop in Ipswich.
Regards
David