Revitalized Aristo-Craft Aluminum Passenger Dome (w Lighted Dome)

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Fellow G Scale Enthusiasts!

A few months ago I traded some HO trains (And a little cash) and brought home 3 Aristo-Craft aluminum passenger cars. They had a REALLY bad Milwaukee Road paint job on them. I had already finished the observation a few months ago but wanted a Santa Fe Vista Dome for my collection. I disassembled the vista dome and have spent HOURS using aircraft stripper on the shell and Easy Off oven cleaner to strip the plastic parts. I am fortunate because my plastic parts are nickel plated.

I re-assembled everything and talked myself into adding LED lighting into the dome. I used 2 white LED's but I think that I will go back and replace them with green LED's. In hindsight it probably would have been easier to purchase a used vista dome and just re-label it for Santa Fe.

Enjoy your trains! AJ the Teacher

Attachments

• Arist-Craft Bad 1.jpg
    Arist-Craft Bad 1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Arist-Craft Bad 2.jpg
    Arist-Craft Bad 2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Arist-Craft Bad 3.jpg
    Arist-Craft Bad 3.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Arist-Craft Bad 4 Good.jpg
    Arist-Craft Bad 4 Good.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Arist-Craft Bad 5 Good Lighted.jpg
    Arist-Craft Bad 5 Good Lighted.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 0

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Cracking job!
Very impressive, but I have no idea what the prototype would have looked like, at night?
Rule 8..

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Cracking job!
Very impressive, but I have no idea what the prototype would have looked like, at night?
Rule 8..
Thank you PhilP! I have no idea what the protoype would look like either. But I am pretty sure that in the pictures of the Santa Fe vista dome that I saw that the SANTA FE graphics were centered under the vista dome not the car itself. I debated should I center them like Aristo-Craft did (which appears to be incorrect) or do it properly. At this time, I chose to letter it like the Aristo-Craft factory cars. I will endeavor to see if I can locate a nightime vista dome picture. Thanks AJ the Teacher

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
I have no idea what the protoype would look like either. But I am pretty sure that in the pictures of the Santa Fe vista dome that I saw that the SANTA FE graphics were centered under the vista dome not the car itself.
Have a look here at cars ATSF 500 to 505, http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsList.aspx?id=ATSF&cid=7
Some pics are back in the ATSF days some are contemporary.

See also here: The Super Chief Pleasure Domes |
Includes photo of one dome interior showing fluorescent tubes along sides of dome top center strip.

See also: Railfan.net ABPR Image MKT106_100_SF500_atHouston_April85.jpg

See also: Railfan.net Forums - 'Passenger Trains' Photo - '30-A_classic_dome_car.jpg'

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
Never seen the real dome lighted at night.
My experiences with passenger cars are that if the car interior lights are on you will not be seeing anything outside except streetlamps and headlights.

Reactions: 1 users

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
The main windows indeed often had a greenish tint.
Here's a handy illustration of that.
Oh, and a modeling note, as well as tinting the side windows, painting the dome's clear plastic with a bit of thinned Tamiya transparent green acrylic model paint with a bit of transparent blue added is a way to represent that if dome window plastic is not already tinted. Airbrushing interior of clear part is preferred method for a smooth coat but hairy sticks can be used if you have sufficient skill there.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Wow. Thanks for the links..

Looking at the car on the 'abandoned' section of track:
The opening in the end of the car seems huge? - I assume you could easily stand, in both the dome, and to pass underneath it, so allowing 7 feet (floor to ceiling) x2, plus structure of the car, I am a little surprised the opening is that tall?

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Not abandoned, notice other cars connected to it, and no one would leave it over a switch. Your only clue was the abandonment track.

OK, so the opening on the SIDE of the car near the kitchen/galley seems big? That's the only door you can see except a bit of a side view of the end doors.

Maybe you are mistaking the diaphram and it's frame for a door?

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry Greg, my bad, wrong link posted (it was late). - I have corrected the link.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Ahh... it does look sort of tall, but the diaphragm has been removed, so hard to see what the resultant "human opening" dimensions are.

I think you will find the height of the area to support the diaphram is very tall, compared to the door itself, which is not tiny either.

2019-07-20-15-59-56-2019_07_19_20_28_53_AMTK_9321.jpg

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
but the opening in the end of the car seems very 'tall'?
Given the car's entire exterior width was right at 10 feet plus an inch or two the end doors are not going to be proportioned with a width like a sliding door to a patio at home. A Walmart shopping cart is probably too wide to go through the end doors.
Also ..
Since the overall height of the car from railhead to rooftop has to be less than around 15 to 16 feet the car floor was stepped down under the dome to allow for a hallway under one side of the dome and to make usable compartments under the remaining width of the dome area.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks..
That makes things clearer.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Ahh... it does look sort of tall, but the diaphragm has been removed, so hard to see what the resultant "human opening" dimensions are.

I think you will find the height of the area to support the diaphram is very tall, compared to the door itself, which is not tiny either.

2019-07-20-15-59-56-2019_07_19_20_28_53_AMTK_9321.jpg
And there was me thinking it was a giraffe carrier:think:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Guys..
I just couldn't see how you could get the two decks in, but having a passage to the rear lounge, with a lowered floor, makes sense.