Revamping a Lil' Critter

MAYBACH

Hydraulics, Motorhead, biscuits, cake, VW's
26 Oct 2009
Devon (HYDRAULIC COUNTRY)
Best answers
Country flag
Got a Lil' Critter from one of our members on here with a view to giving it a light revamp, a nice paintjob and some weathering. Here are some shots of it sat in the workshop in primer after having most of the detail work done. I have fitted a panel on top of the nose with bolt heads, an exhaust stack, side window sun shades, side window arm rests, seperate door handles and nose panel handles, shaved off the molded parts on the buffer beams, replaced the uneven nose handrails, scraped off and smoothed all the molding lines on the noses and cab, moved the horn from on top of nose to cab roof, swapped the nasty custard yellow LED's for the headlamps with nice Warm White one's from ebay.

I'm as yet undecided if I will leave the underframe side skirts off to reveal the bogie sideframe, it does look good with exposed frames, so I am painting both types so i can make my mind up after trying both out.
She will end up in SP "bloody nose" colours, but VERY faded and weather worn. :D
I will post some more shots as she comes together.
Cheers
Rob
1eabd4dc6d5944ceb13bbb347510fadb.jpg

65313322abef499d8519aa8a08acc664.jpg

58beeab762cf4a1391ea8e62d77d6b97.jpg

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Nice work there Rob should look very nice in SP bloody nose livery :clap:

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Nice job. Exposed frames would be my choice.

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
I'm watching this with interest, I've got a Lil Critter which could do with a revamp

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
I have looked at mine and thought about giving it a make over, did you have any difficulty getting the body work off the chassis Rob?

MAYBACH

26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
There are more screws than something that has a lot of screws in :D
As I was stripping it totaly I just kept removing them all until I could get it apart. Putting it all back will be far easier as I know what is conected to what.
They are not bad and clean up very well, I just wanted to "sharpen up" the details on mine.
Any probs just let me know and I can tell you how to get round it.
Cheers
Rob

Bram

24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Cheers Rob

MAYBACH

26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A splash of colour has now gone on the reworked noses of the critter. you can't tell in these shots due to the poor indoor light, but there are 4 different shades of red, the lightest being a matt pink. this is to simulate that "sun bleached to hell and back" kind of look. :D They look quite convincing out in the daylight with the noses getting progressivly lighter towards the top.

Several shades of grey will go on this week with any luck to give an almost finished loco, will be leaving the sideframes exposed too I think, looks far better.

Should be going down the radio controlled route too with this one.

Cheers
Rob
82625562165843a4b6253b13d47584cb.jpg

d2b55951b05c457fbb9979b948172b40.jpg

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
so they are/were real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bram

24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
They look good in black, Ihave now got my Critter in peices ready for a re-spray

MAYBACH

26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Well mine is getting more and more faded as we speak, and the rust is increasing at an alarming rate................................... :D
Just how I like 'em
Cheers
Rob

JonathanJ

South African Railways, Garratts, PRR.
24 Oct 2009
Tyne and Wear
Best answers
You guys do know that the 'prototype photos' are photoshopped fakes?...
Original source is here,
http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32073&start=0 < Link To http://railroad.net/forum...hp?t=32073&start=0
including an apparently full-size version of one of the classic Oscar/Piker twins, and a C-liner cut down to two axles. Look cute but were never real - from memory, on the RS2, the short hood contained the steam generator (if ordered), and no traction machinery at all, so if one had actually been assembled it wouldn't have been able to move very far.
J.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Another bubble burst..... I'm almost inconsolable. I know this Forum is a great source of information, but, you can have too much information........

David