Resurgam Rolling Stock - Welsh Highland Railway

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
ex-SAR Type B ballast car kits. After a number of false starts by other kit-makers, David Williams of Resurgam Rolling Stock has begun to introduce a range of items of SAR and Welsh Highland Railway rolling stock, and I chose to start by building three of the well-known Type B welded-style ballast cars to haul behind my WHR Beyer-Garratt. Although they make a convincing and totally acceptable model straight from the packaging, I chose to gild the lily somewhat, and add to following small items - 'rivets' from Cambrian rivets, footsteps and square-headed bolts from Phil's Narrow Gauge, brake pipes from Brandbright, couplings from Accucraft - to match everything else, and wheels from Brandbright. I also accentuated the vertical ironwork with thin strips of styrene, and made completely new over-latches for the access doors. A few Ozark Miniatures NBWs were also used where appropriate.

Here they are, taken about half an hour ago -

Tom Eivers makes some very fine decals - the set contains enough stencil-style lettering and numbers in English, Afrikaans and Welsh for two cars, with the addition of the bicycle symbol for the car used for that purpose. Sadly, shortly after mine arrived, they went into the shredder in a mad fit of tidying up after opening all our Christmas cards - a sad end to twenty quid's worth of decals, I think you'd agree, and a costly lesson in keeping an eye on things with a houseful of visitors keen to help...

I can only recommend these models in every way. Exquisitely-fine laser-cut details on the included trucks make them truly 3D, and the substantial MDF and plywood parts make into a railroad car that will survive the usual oftimes less-than-careful handling on most garden tracks. A modicum of underbody detail representing the complexity of the brake gear has been modelled, and ought to be enough for most of us, me included.

I give them a full 10/10.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
Very sharp Tac, they look great. Now all we need is some decent weather! ;)