27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Friends,

I recently came into position of a non-working second hand 51920 (appears to also come with the double pole/double throw attachment). My suspicion is the solenoid has died. I'm content to use it as a manual signal but seems to make more sense to at least attempt to repair it. I checked on Modell-land.de - however, they don't appear to have the replacement part.

Has anyone undertaken any repair/replacement work on these before?

Curtis

Attachments

• IMG_4871.jpg
    IMG_4871.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 0

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
So it appears the motor has died? You can try and repair the motor or it seems you are looking for a new one from modell-land? Although the motors are externally different to normal point motors, the only difference is in the outer casing, which has a slot for a slider to move the pronged switch at the bottom of the mast, and additional electrical connections for the lamp on the signal. The ratchet piece is different too. So you could cannibalise another working point motor and merge the parts to get a working signal motor. I could get a picture of a disassembled signal motor but all my stuff is boxed up on the shed at the moment, so it would take some time. Maybe someone else can provide one.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have generally found that the LGB EPL Motors are pretty indestructible, having recovered a few from a Garden Railway that had been moribund for quite a few years repairing the Motors was possible on every one. The most tricky were those that had come unwired on the Armature. This is a very small part of the winding that glues to the Screw in Socket. Check that out it is more than likely the issue. Solder that back in if u soldered then a good clean of all the parts and you should be ready to go. If not as DAVE says a replacement Armature from a good point would work if my suggestion does not work but do not forget that clean up of all the moving parts.

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for all the responses, as always!

The latest

So it appears the motor has died? You can try and repair the motor or it seems you are looking for a new one from modell-land? Although the motors are externally different to normal point motors, the only difference is in the outer casing, which has a slot for a slider to move the pronged switch at the bottom of the mast, and additional electrical connections for the lamp on the signal. The ratchet piece is different too. So you could cannibalise another working point motor and merge the parts to get a working signal motor. I could get a picture of a disassembled signal motor but all my stuff is boxed up on the shed at the moment, so it would take some time. Maybe someone else can provide one.

This is exactly what I did, thanks for the advise! More than anything I just wanted to see it working.

did you test that motor with "split up" AC? (as used/provided by the epl system?)
or just with DC or even full/normal AC?
I've tested it with the EPL "split up" AC. I've tried it both ways and couldn't get anything out of it. I event tried hooking the jumper wires directly the copper wire running from each connection points (by passing the usual screw down camel connector) in case that was a troubled area. It doesn't so much as hum.

I have generally found that the LGB EPL Motors are pretty indestructible, having recovered a few from a Garden Railway that had been moribund for quite a few years repairing the Motors was possible on every one. The most tricky were those that had come unwired on the Armature. This is a very small part of the winding that glues to the Screw in Socket. Check that out it is more than likely the issue. Solder that back in if u soldered then a good clean of all the parts and you should be ready to go. If not as DAVE says a replacement Armature from a good point would work if my suggestion does not work but do not forget that clean up of all the moving parts.
The Armatures are the copper that lead from the electrical contact to the electromagnet? They appear to be intact. I gave everything a clean but to no avail. I guess I'll just keep an eye out for second hand signal/point motors and make the most of that!