30 Aug 2016
Sweden
Best answers
Hi all, I'm new here.
Not new to model railroading though.
I got these Bachmann cars on the bay.
EADRPZwl.jpg

1QWQow4l.jpg

I can't stand that plastic fantastic toy look though.
So, I started with removing the heralds from the caboose with paint stripper.
iPi5LTQl.jpg

Then I repainted both cars with Scalecoat mineral red paint using a #3 brush.
gbovZHUl.jpg

NM5jwiyl.jpg

They will both be marked for my own railroad, and they will be detailed and weathered as I go along.
A few broken parts will be fixed as well.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Looking very smart :clap::clap::clap:

The best modification that you can do is to change the wheelsets to metal wheels - the Bachmann plastic wheelsets sometimes had a gauge problem, and they might bounce through the points :nod::nod:

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good so far:clap::clap:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Looking very smart :clap::clap::clap:

The best modification that you can do is to change the wheelsets to metal wheels - the Bachmann plastic wheelsets sometimes had a gauge problem, and they might bounce through the points :nod::nod:
Also think about a little weight, also helps hold to the track.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Depending upon your other stock, converting to LGB Hook and Loops is also a worthwhile thing to do. I have done that with my 3 Bachman converted 4 wheel Bobber Chassis.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Depending upon your other stock, converting to LGB Hook and Loops is also a worthwhile thing to do. I have done that with my 3 Bachman converted 4 wheel Bobber Chassis.
They already are, Jon ;);)

Graffen

Registered
30 Aug 2016
Sweden
Best answers
Thanks for the tips, the wheels, where do I find suitable replacements?
Made some progress on the caboose.
YGArAljl.jpg

Applied the decals and pre-weathered the underframe.

Reactions: 1 user

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Bachman sells replacement metal wheels, (In two sizes) but whether your local dealer stocks them is the question. There may be a local manufacturer...even the plastic wheel sets can be regauged easily.
When doing repairs to B'mann rolling stock; remember it is basicly Styrene, so MEC, or Lacquer thinner can be used for "Welding" it.

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the tips, the wheels, where do I find suitable replacements?
Made some progress on the caboose.
YGArAljl.jpg

Applied the decals and pre-weathered the underframe.
Yes, as Fred says, Bachmann make them, but you may have to look under the Lilliput name - 31 mm diameter is what you need :nod::nod:

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Only comments - Bachmann replacement wheels, though good, aren't exactly cheap these days - £25 for 4 axles at the last count? Secondhand should be cheaper if you can find them. Hook and bar? Despite the occasional failings of knuckle couplings, they do look rather more appropriate and save bad language if you are working on an exhibition layout, says the voice of experience.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Only comments - Bachmann replacement wheels, though good, aren't exactly cheap these days - £25 for 4 axles at the last count? Secondhand should be cheaper if you can find them. Hook and bar? Despite the occasional failings of knuckle couplings, they do look rather more appropriate and save bad language if you are working on an exhibition layout, says the voice of experience.
KGR has the Liliput ones (spoked) at £29.50 - ouch :(:(

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Nice to see you here Graffen.......I also do some larger scale Irish 3' narrow gauge modeling along with my Maine On30 stuff.
Looking forward to seeing more of your work......tom

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
My personal preference for re-painting Bachmann Big Hauler items is to use war gamers acrylic paints. It is available in most model shops, especially those not catering for us large scale modellers. I have even found it hardware stores. As such cars are easily repainted if necessary,. especially for 'own company/line' names.

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Another possible item to add to the caboose is glazing,looks so much better with glass in the windows,its a shame the car does not come with factory fitted items,my L`ll Hauler caboose also glazed and sets it off,just food for thought;);)

Graffen

Registered
30 Aug 2016
Sweden
Best answers
I will put glass in it, but the first thing I'll make is a new cupola...
It will look so much better with a square cupola.

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Bachman sells replacement metal wheels, (In two sizes) but whether your local dealer stocks them is the question. There may be a local manufacturer...even the plastic wheel sets can be regauged easily.
When doing repairs to B'mann rolling stock; remember it is basicly Styrene, so MEC, or Lacquer thinner can be used for "Welding" it.
hello can i ask with reference to welding bachmann plastic,,what is MDC?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
hello can i ask with reference to welding bachmann plastic,,what is MDC?

MDC is an American loco (kit?) manufacturer, who (I think) no longer exist?? :think:

MEK is Methyl Ethyl Ketone - A solvent used widely in industry, and can be used as a plastic cement, to weld certian types of plastics together. :nerd:
Also known as Butanone:

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
MDC is the original owner of some Piko models, such as their ore car, and 2 bay hopper car.
Automotive spray cans of paint is often used to paint some Bachmann BH equipment. Here in North America we call them "Rattle Cans"...we can get them in Home depot stores and Walmart. For freight cars, the Brown/reddish primer is fine to represent "Box Car Red". "Iron Oxid" .
I use it all the time, even on LGB ore cars.
Fred Mills