Relay with Massoth Switch decoder

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
I’m looking to see if anyone has used a DPDT relay for changing the input of an isolated track section from programming to main power. Since this is outside I was thinking it would be great to use the switch output from a Massoth switch decoder to and trigger it from the Nav. Would this be possible?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It would certainly be possible, but I feel a little over complicated? - I good solid DPDT centre - off switch might be a better option, with good visual indication of how the track was set..

If you go the relay-route, ensure that you use a break - before - make relay.

PhilP.

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
It would certainly be possible, but I feel a little over complicated? - I good solid DPDT centre - off switch might be a better option, with good visual indication of how the track was set..

If you go the relay-route, ensure that you use a break - before - make relay.

PhilP.
Thanks Phil, yes I get that. All of my electronics are inside the house, however, and I don’t have a building nearby so was thinking this was be the cleanest way to set up a remote controlled programming track so I can just drive a loco onto it, flip to programming, then back to main and drive off.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
My first DCC system was an 8 amp unit and had no separate programming track. I used it for years and what I did was to only program units at my work bench when a DPDP center off switch controlled DCC to my tracks or bench but never both at the same time.

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
I finally got this set up on my layout and am wondering how to wire/configure the Massoth 4 channel switch decoder to provide constant power to the relay when turned on. The DCC track is connected to the NC position, so its on when the relay does not have power, and Programming is connected to the NO position so its only activated when the relay has power. The only part I have not figured out yet is how to configure the switch decoder to put out constant power and not momentary as when throwing an EPL.

Do I need to connect one of the relay coil terminals to the decoder + and then set one of the SW outputs to function, so its an on/off or is there a way to configure the switch/motor SW outputs?

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
It's a bit expensive but you could always use an EPL drive with and aux switch, 12010 & 12070. It will stay in whatever position it was last set when powered off and on. Not sure of the current limits but it should handle at least 5A.

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
It turns out that the Massoth 4 channel switch configuration is pretty simple. There is a function for 'continuous operation' in the Attachment 1 section of the manual:

Massoth4K_continuous.JPG

You set this on the Special Functions of the 8 outputs. In my case I only wanted the power to stay on when when triggering in 1 switch direction, but not the other, so I set CV51 to 0, which is half of the SW1 pair. So now when I select the switch address and throw it in 1 direction the relay engages and switches the power to programming. Then when I throw it the other direction the momentary switch function engages and then it turns off, which reverts the relay back to track power.

Massoth4K_special_function.JPG

It just took some digging through the manual's CV setting to figure out, but you can easily power any motor this way for accessories and use switch addresses or you can set the decoder for loco addresses, which then allows to convert the decoder to 8 independent function outputs as opposed for 4 switch/motor outputs.

Hope this helps someone down the road trying to do something cool with layout accessories. Its opened up a bunch of possibilities for wireless remote control from the Nav.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I would just be wary of having my main and programming tracks in a position that a mistake could be made. Do you really want to reprogram all your stock because you forgot to throw a switch.

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
I would just be wary of having my main and programming tracks in a position that a mistake could be made. Do you really want to reprogram all your stock because you forgot to throw a switch.
This cant happen. I have an isolated section of track thats about 2.5ft long that has its own feeder connected to the relay. Its exactly the same set up I have at my workbench where I have both main DCC and programming coming from a CS and going into a single DPDT toggle switch and then outputting to a short section of track. You switch between the 2. What I'm doing here with the relay outside is exactly the same thing, just wirelessly by controlling the relay with a switch decoder instead of using the physical toggle switch.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I assume the Massoth switch decoder is hooked up to the track feed into the relay. Otherwise, you can through it one way which will disconnect it too!

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
I assume the Massoth switch decoder is hooked up to the track feed into the relay. Otherwise, you can through it one way which will disconnect it too!
Yes the decoder is hooked up to the main track power bus! I’m using it to provide power to the coils of the relay.