Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Yesterday I was temporarily lifting track to carry out some maintenance and, out of the 5 LGB points I had to move, the screws holding the cables from the decoders into the point motors had rusted solid in 4 of them. (I'm sure it won't come as a surprise to many of you that the "rust-free" set are somewhat older than the others...)

Despite soaking with WD40 I have been unable to free the connector screws.

Having opened up one of the motors it seems relatively easy in principle to replace the connector block. I just wondered if anyone else has done this and, if so, did you find/use a direct replacement part? If not, can you remember / share where you found a suitable alternative from.

Thanks.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I have unsoldered the connector block and wired in a flying lead to connect to another motor, where ever I use motors on paired crossovers.

Not actually found a replacement though Phil....

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Funnily enough I've been thinking along similar lines as this would allow me to connect the flying lead to the wire from the switch decoder somewhere "under cover".

Did you use any sealant or similar around the wires where they exited the point motor?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Yes I did use sealant around the holes Phil. An aircraft grade black mastic that we use on avionic kit at work.

Does the job....

D

Deleted member 1986

Edit:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for this - much appreciated

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent - thanks

An interesting thread, as I have just lifted my own line (for rebuilding) and am working through cleaning and servicing my recovered EPLs right now. Only two had rusted/seized terminals, but when dismantled these both turned out to be the most recent ones, with the thin geared rotor, reinforced base as the modified rack bar,

None of my earlier 80s, 90s or even early 2000s type suffered from this, although they had all been out there in similar conditions for the same time.

The same is true of the modern type of add-on switches too, only the most recent ones have srews that seized up.

Have LGB changed the material?

James

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
An interesting thread, as I have just lifted my own line (for rebuilding) and am working through cleaning and servicing my recovered EPLs right now. Only two had rusted/seized terminals, but when dismantled these both turned out to be the most recent ones, with the thin geared rotor, reinforced base as the modified rack bar,

None of my earlier 80s, 90s or even early 2000s type suffered from this, although they had all been out there in similar conditions for the same time.

The same is true of the modern type of add-on switches too, only the most recent ones have srews that seized up.

Have LGB changed the material?

James
Long will me mourn the quality of products from the Richter days of LGB.
JonD

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Long will me mourn the quality of products from the Richter days of LGB.
JonD

Pity Really, as Marklin are no slip-shod organisation and come with a very long history of well engineered robust models, but as we seem to agree, they seemed to have spoiled the ship for the want of a very small amount of tar.

Have to confess that I don't like the new type of screws. The simple straight slotted type were by far the best and seemed to be made out of much better material, but there we have it!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
This is probably more a case of what they can get these days..
Materials, and perceived wisdom, change over time..

Bit like cars.. Mine id an old German-engineered 'tank'.. Will never get another one where the components (and car) are built to last.. If it has built-in obsolescence, then you can sell the punter another one!