playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
KeithT said:
A sense of proportion is a good thing.
We were not considering taking a felling axe to the b****y things!
I was thinking of dropped branches or those which are allowed to grow illegally obstructing a footway and which you are allowed legally to remove.

I was replying to this post, not yours.

Graham ASH said:
Jon,
I wouldnt worry about trimming trees for good logs. Twice whilst Ive been trimming elder trees, Ive had WPC in twos walking past and all theve done is asked what I was cutting them for and were suprised when I told them Model Railroad. I take the car and a log cutting saw, cut them to about 5ft and into a bundle of 6 logs and Im away. Once home I cut them into lenghts of 12 inch for the log skeles and I also cut a odd few into 18 inch lenghts for oversized loads where I use log skeles which have had the centers cut out of them to give me extended lengh loads.

Just do what you need to do without advertising it

Graham

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Developments afoot re this question.... a couple of days ago I paid a visit to a very helpful Coppicer near Saffron Walden - as a result of which, for the exchange of just a few quid, I came home with a nice bundle of (reasonably) straight sticks of Field Maple, which has a wonderful deeply lined bark texture and probably (to my eyes anyway) looks the most like "scale" large logs that I've yet seen! Each stick is about four or five feet in length and between an inch and an inch-and-a-half diameter, and with judicious cutting - discarding any pieces with bends and odd bulges - I should be able to get at least two or three pretty straight and very realistic G scale "tree trunks" from each length.

Once I've had the chance to chop some up and try them on a wagon, I'll take and post some pictures!

Jon.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Personally I think that we should respect our elders................hat, coat, door............... :happy:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
As I've said before, Mike: you should be on the stage - preferably the next one out of town.... ;) :p

I think you'll like the effect of the Field Maple logs, will have to bring some round to show you soon.

Jon.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmm.. Field Maple..
Sweet!
;) :D :happy:
(When is the next stage?).

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
IMG_0090.JPG IMG_0093.JPG Don't forget the correct way to run logging trains is full one way and empty back.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
if you keep going round the circuit they are only going 'one way'.:D

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Holly will also give you straight branches and twigs - if you ask her nicely :cool::cool:

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
First of all....trees often do need trimming, so "Properly" trimming the tree will not injure it. Check with your local nursery or tree expert "Arbourist", I think is the proper name for an expert.
To lighten the load, I would suggest, cutting the wood to the length you want, then let it dry properly. Over a quarter of the weight is moisture.
If you want instant dry wood, then trim off dead branches on a tree, and they will be much drier. Cutting dead branches from a tree will not injure the tree....if done properly.
Once you have the dry wood, you can often preserve the bark by dipping the piece of wood into a flat wood finish like varnish, or one of many other coatings. You can find many pictures of log loads on the internet, and learn that logs from Western North America were often much longer than those in the East, thus the log cars like the ones Bachmann produced are more representative of eastern logging practices, than western. Often logs were no more than a foot in diameter, so a bunch of "Twigs" are more realistic than a 10 foot diameter giant on a single log car.
Modelling logs from real wood should not be too much of a challenge to even a "Kitchen table" modeler. Have fun guys and gals...
Fred Mills, in sunny Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

Reactions: 1 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting that this very old thread has seen a sudden revival - and thanks for the new input and ideas!

Jon.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I'm lucky downunder we have plants known as cordylines (sometimes sold as "Chinese Happy Plant" the have flax like top grow with straight textured bark "trunks".
When cut and left to dry they weight less than a similar piece of balsa but keep the bark.
I have some ranging in scale feet from 15" down to 3' in diameter which reminds me I should check on the latest batch.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
If it's on the ground, that's one thing. If it's on the tree, then it's quite another. Breaking or cutting twigs or branches off can harm the tree, opening it to infections or attack by insects, as well as setting a bad example and encouraging others to do the same.

That's called "pruning"

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
"Arbourist", I think is the proper name for an expert

When I worked as a Highways Inspector the County Council had a team people looking after the County's trees. They were referred to as Arboricultural Engineers, or for those of us who could not get out tongues around that, they were referred to as 'The Tree People', after all they were a different branch from us.

A gratuitous photograph of some trees (Christmas Common, The Chiltern Hills, October 2015)
1870.JPG

David

Reactions: 1 users

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
If they did really well did they get promoted to special branch?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
When I worked as a Highways Inspector the County Council had a team people looking after the County's trees. They were referred to as Arboricultural Engineers, or for those of us who could not get out tongues around that, they were referred to as 'The Tree People', after all they were a different branch from us.

A gratuitous photograph of some trees (Christmas Common, The Chiltern Hills, October 2015)
View attachment 222391

David
That'll be beach then.

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
When I suggested cutting off a branch from a living tree, I meant doing it properly; and that will not harm the tree. Just trying to snap, or break off a limb, can do damage. Using a good pruning saw, makes life easier for both the tree and the "Pruner"...!! There are also times of the year that it are not recommended to prune trees. Those times vary for the type of tree.
Dead branches should be carefully cut from the tree in any case, so that should not damage the tree if done properly.

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
I seem to remember Buddleia being cited as ideal log material when this was raised in the past.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Further to my post way back in this threads...is it really that long ago?......,
I have been making some trees from balsa wood dowel rod.
It is easy to get a really good representation of bark using rasps and saw blades on the soft wood.
The same method can obviously be used for modelling logs.
After making circular marks at the ends to simulate the rings and a bit of stain for the bark (use a range of colours to obtain different subtle variations of the same type of tree) they make a very light load.
The benefit of lack in heft for the load is something that I would need due to the vicious inclines on my layout.

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
I had some fun with branches I picked up really 'from the ground' in some rural areas around my village. The fun is you can actually see the different type of 'wood' on the loggers. As most of the 'timber' was on the ground for some time already (and it had fallen off the trees anyway) it was pretty dry already. I like the 'roughtness' of the cuts, I used a pair of 'garden scissors' the cut the branches to length, but I did this in the most 'untidy' way possible to mimic 'real' big logs.

I used some wood glue dabs to glue all logs together, so the loggers are easier to put on the rails & take off again. Also, the sideways loggers (in the pictures behind the red 'Deutz'), I really had to glue together as after a couple of rounds the top logs would shift outwards and eventually fell off the lorries.

I like it!

2017-04-11 19.00.46.jpg

2017-04-11 19.14.31.jpg

2017-04-11 19.22.30.jpg

2017-04-11 19.23.08.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
They look just like real logs, which I suppose they are but on a smaller scale.