Best answers
At least the guy in the orange shirt seems pretty 'armless! :happy: :happy:

Coat, h . . . . . .

Enginehouse

Amateur Radio, 16mm/G scale railways
24 Oct 2009
Peterborough
Best answers
"Railway weed" is fast growing when unpruned and two the year quite vigorous growth is about the right thickness etc. very nice blooms in a variety of colours and shades and an essential shrub for those who value butterfly and bumblebee presence in their garden. A major pest in some of the countries goods yards and along the quiet sections of rural lines where clearing it is quite labour intensive and often difficult. Our last years pruning of our Buddlija three year growth is happily drying off out in the shed. Nice relatively straight lengths as it was grown and trimmed for log loads in any case. Grows to about six foot and once dried sawn and sealed looks as good as anything else. We have four of these in the various colours and have lots of butterflies as a result and have plenty of logs of various sizes.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
[quote author=bobg link=topic=298972.msg317335#msg317335 date=1401785933]
At least the guy in the orange shirt seems pretty `armless!  :happy: :happy:

Coat, h . . . . . .

[/quote]

Yep, he just stood too close to the blade.....
He had lost his arm somewhere else on the layout so I thought that he should be included in the sawmill as a notice to the other workers to be diligent around machinery.
I later found his arm and it is now resting on the floor in a bloody pool!
But as he was of the old school `stuff and nonsense` he just carries on working....they were men in them days......

pointrock saw mill log table.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Rod Fearnley

Santa Fe and Burlington Northern at amalgamation
29 Oct 2009
Mid Norfolk
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I agree with Enginehouse, Buddlia makes excellent logs. Nice bark too.

Graham ASH

Fn3 Logging & Mining
4 Oct 2012
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Jon,
I wouldnt worry about trimming trees for good logs. Twice whilst Ive been trimming elder trees, Ive had WPC in twos walking past and all theve done is asked what I was cutting them for and were suprised when I told them Model Railroad. I take the car and a log cutting saw, cut them to about 5ft and into a bundle of 6 logs and Im away. Once home I cut them into lenghts of 12 inch for the log skeles and I also cut a odd few into 18 inch lenghts for oversized loads where I use log skeles which have had the centers cut out of them to give me extended lengh loads.

Just do what you need to do without advertising it

Graham

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Graham ASH said:
Jon,
I wouldnt worry about trimming trees for good logs. Twice whilst Ive been trimming elder trees, Ive had WPC in twos walking past and all theve done is asked what I was cutting them for and were suprised when I told them Model Railroad. I take the car and a log cutting saw, cut them to about 5ft and into a bundle of 6 logs and Im away. Once home I cut them into lenghts of 12 inch for the log skeles and I also cut a odd few into 18 inch lenghts for oversized loads where I use log skeles which have had the centers cut out of them to give me extended lengh loads.

Just do what you need to do without advertising it

Graham

Amazing! How do you feel about people removing wheels from, say, other people's bicycles?

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
You could say with this thread we've "logged on".

Hat, c . . . . . .

;) :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

Graham ASH

Fn3 Logging & Mining
4 Oct 2012
Best answers
Playmofire
Are you joking ?? Whats bicycle wheels got to do with tree branches - on the back of a second class stamp please !!

Graham

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
It's worrying that I have to explain. People who remove wheels from other people's bicycles are taking something which isn't theirs to take. Ditto with you and the buddleja branches.

KandNWLR

Live steam on the indoor K&NWLR
18 Dec 2011
Alsace
www.youtube.com
Best answers
beavercreek said:
Looking closer inside the sawmill at Pointrock (when I was putting the lighting in), nearly all logs are from the old Elder tree that I had to remove when it died. Also a couple of Hypericum twigs thrown in.
The log pile can be seen at the back, (I didn't have to treat these with preservative as they are protected from the wet and are lying on the 'concrete' (painted roof felt)

Fantastic night time view :happy:

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
If anyone wants any budlia or forsythia branches they are most welcome to come and help themselves from my garden.

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Chris M said:
If anyone wants any budlia or forsythia branches they are most welcome to come and help themselves from my garden.

Don't need any Buddleia but can I help myself to your Shay :D :D

Reactions: 1 user

mole

Registered
25 Oct 2009
ipswich
Best answers
Country flag
Poundland are doing 1metre rolls of willow edging the trigs are about the same length and thickness of a pencil Had some Nequida gonduals wagon's which looked to Armerican for my layout so removed the bodie's (they are for E bay) added some stakes in the pockets provided and cut up the trig's as load's 1 roll will do one wagon

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
I use the Buddleiea from our garden, it grows so profusely that I don't keep cuttings anymore, light and to scale. Fetch your own, I might even pay you a beer if you trim back the whole damned bush [e]102[/e]

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
I have two replies, the first possibly more helpful than the second. For the train of scratch built log bogies I have made up logs by laminating cork flooring tiles then shaping with a Surform file (rasp) and a V chisel, dry brushed with browns and brown black to give some bark colouring. They work out to be a moderate weight. :)
IMG_9933.JPG

For other set of log bogies, which are LGB ones, I have used suitable prunings from what ever trees/bushes that are about the right diameter and straight enough, which is really is quite a vague unhelpful reply :-[
The logs in the train being hauled by Manawanui are the LGB bogies loaded with prunings. The two sets of log bogies being pulled away from the log skids by the Simplex are some of the scratch built bogies loaded with cork logs. The log skids are made from prunings which I have given a treatment with Metalex, a timber preservative, since they live outside permenantly.
IMG_9493.JPG

Graham ASH

Fn3 Logging & Mining
4 Oct 2012
Best answers
Hi Jon
If you want any Elderberry logs, I can get and cut you some up. How many do you want , I use 3 to each log skele, we can meet at a show or G Rail next March
Graham

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
That's a very kind offer, Graham - I'm currently investigating a few local possibilities, but if I don't come up with anything suitable then I'll certainly talk to you about it! :)

If/when I find something that I'm happy with, I'll be sure to post it here for everyone to see; thanks again for all the tips, ideas and photos that have been posted.

Jon.

Graham ASH

Fn3 Logging & Mining
4 Oct 2012
Best answers
Thats ok Jon , I will wait out on that. I would like to post some photos of the logs but am unsure how its done
Graham

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Graham, check out the Thread in Forum Help, by 3-Valve.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
playmofire said:
Amazing! How do you feel about people removing wheels from, say, other people's bicycles?

A sense of proportion is a good thing.
We were not considering taking a felling axe to the b****y things!
I was thinking of dropped branches or those which are allowed to grow illegally obstructing a footway and which you are allowed legally to remove.