RC point control

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all. Well, after lots of experimenting and testing I've finally made a very reliable and useful remote control system for points (and other controllable track equipment). From ebay I ordered a 12 channel remote the same as this kit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-Channe...LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b13fa51a (from < Link To http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm...fa51a (from china, takes about 3 weeks to finally get here, only seen one in the uk and they wanted £150). I also obtained a project box, a dozen push to make switches and some white car lining style tape. I disassembled the remote and wired the ptm switches across the small switches on the pcb, then placed the ptm switches in their locations on the track diagram in the project box.
Inside;
6bf43808ff9942169c9b439ce749733a.jpg

Outside;
ba052e53d78147cc9c70cdb571084596.jpg

I also placed a PP3 battery holder in the side and wired to the power input on the pcb;
301238ed1d4a4954af34673f5de53ba9.jpg

This was so I wouldn't have to open the box up to change exhausted batteries.

The receiver pcb has 12 small relays that are activated according to which button is pressed on the transmitter. I use them to work larger relays that switch the points from my cdu, I'm sure the method will work just as well with the diodes and ac supply too. A few (1-4) can also be programmed to latch, and I've used these to work isolating sections.
The relay board;
9fdc3e9b282b4573913593ea0fd62063.jpg

As my railway is rc track powered (and one rc loco) it is really nice being able to sit anywhere in the garden and control the points and stock without being tethered at all. The transmitter Ariel is in the project box and isn't extended, but I've had no issues with range at all. The cost wasn't extremely expensive, the main outlay being the more powerful relays (able to switch higher current safely) and all the cable I needed. :D

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting post on a different method of point control Tim....

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting looking bit of kit!

The ebay link you show - is this definitely the one you've got? ie. 315MHz? Just that the google results I'm getting seem to indicate that 313MHz is not legal in the UK? Hopefully I'm wrong though - I'm not an RC/RF expert at all.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
I refuse to be drawn to the dark side :happy:

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
ntpntpntp said:
Interesting looking bit of kit!

The ebay link you show - is this definitely the one you've got? ie. 315MHz? Just that the google results I'm getting seem to indicate that 313MHz is not legal in the UK? Hopefully I'm wrong though - I'm not an RC/RF expert at all.
Oh poo, I'd better check....

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
nicebutdim said:
Gizzy said:

The force is weak in this one.... :holdon:

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
nicebutdim said:
Gizzy said:

The force is weak in this one.... :holdon:
When you meet the wife you'll understand why....... :rofl:

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
I've changed the above link address to a 433mhz type. I really didn't know (and didn't think to check) the operating frequency. I can't find the original unit or supplier that I used, so am unsure of the frequency of mine :mad:

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I operate on DCC and I already have a mimic diagram similar to yours built into a project box and generating DCC point control commands (using an NCE Minipanel module I've mentioned on another thread), but it is tethered to the system bus. I'm thinking I could borrow your idea with regard to the RC mimic box, and have the receiver relays simulate/duplicate the button presses of the existing panel. Might be fun!
Thanks for posting the thread.
<edit>Well I've just ordered a 433MHz set. Got to be worth a play for less than £15 and a trip to Maplins for a few bits and pieces in a few weeks time :D</edit>

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
They do take quite a long time to come. Mine sat in Switzerland for about a week!

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Unit arrived yesterday. Looks quite well made. I feel some play time is required over the weekend!

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
nicebutdim said:
I can't find the original unit or supplier that I used, so am unsure of the frequency of mine :mad:
On mine, the receiver pcb has a little daughter board for the RF reception circuitry, and mine has 433MHz marked on it (the base of the cover also has a 433MHz sticker).

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, well the case of mine lasted all of about 30 seconds before being filed in the bin :mad: I'll check the daughter board tomorrow. Is it illegal for the short pulse that the tx produces, in comparison to say transmitting voice on the illegal channel?

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Phew, just checked mine...433.02 mhz. That's a relief :D

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Mine arrived a few weeks ago and is 433Mhz. It also came with an irritating 'beeper' which beeped every time you pressed a button. Its worth checking out the programming options as mine had 10 different combinations of momentary and latching relays, although the manual only mentioned 3. I opted for 6 latching and 6 momentary. I also decided to keep the handset for now, as its quite dinky. The first lash-up work OK, but I'll add a bit more detail when I've tweaked it a bit.

mbiff

cars trains planes
24 Oct 2009
hinckley
Best answers
:D dunno if this is any help but i have a r/c point - apart from changing the road direction mines wired to change a shared section of track from channel 1 to 2 on my train engineer - anyhoo twas wired in by the master of wire mr robinson
i think from memory twas about £10 - maybe fnrobinson can elaberate

i have a reciever in my garage which is wired to the piont motor

94de0967d04b4b95afc016b200639576.jpg

and i have a keyfob which operates the point

67d1fe96d7db45edb91ddbbf36d0028c.jpg

and the point in question :D

90e8c4fc47504d0a806c22f4fbcea8fe.jpg

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
This is a very interesting thread, can't say I fully understand it but interesting all the same

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
6 days?!!!! That must be a record from China.
Plan well ahead of setting up, it makes a lot easier after.