RailPro

Hotbox

Registered
27 Nov 2019
Brentwood, TN
Best answers
Country flag
In my garden railroad I’m tired of walking all around to throw a turnout so I’m wanting to put in switch motors and control them remotely. I’ve been using Airwire controllers and decoders in my locos but was told that their out of business? I was wondering about RailPro for controlling turnouts and any additional locos I may get in the future. Anyone have any experience or opinions to share?

Thanks

Hotbox

Registered
27 Nov 2019
Brentwood, TN
Best answers
Country flag
A guy in a hobby shop in IL. I’m not sure if the issue was with AirWire or Phoenix But, he said “Airwire” was out of business. I’ve been trying to confirm it but haven’t been able to do so at this point. Do you know anything about it?

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Their website showed up with a quick search: cvpusa.com. A quick email to info@cvpusa.com will confirm their status.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, but I suspect he meant Phoenix.... lots of rumors about them, but they exist, just super long lead times.

Do yourself a favor, and go right to the manufacturer next time, most hobby shop owners have very strong opinions that alter the "truth"...

I have rarely found an unopinionated one.

You did not answer the question, this guy wants to sell you RailPro? Always beware the vested interest.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
A quick email to info@cvpusa.com will confirm their status.
It might be quick to send, but the answer won't arrive for a long, long time. Hence the rumors that they are 'out of business'. (I'm still waiting after 6 weeks. Most folk say they never get an answer.) I have no idea what they are doing to sully their stellar reputation.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So they do not answer the phone? If I was worried, I'd want to talk to a human, and it would be apparent right away what was going on.

Anyway, while it is a proven system, there are better and more forward-looking solutions.

I would look at all the solutions that allow you to use any DCC decoder, so you are not tied to their decoders and their sound files and limited to their functionality (the r/c system's functionality)

Greg

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
As has been expressed many times, Phoenix, AirWire, and several other small companies are not very communicative.

Now phoenix has an explanation on their home page.
So does CVP Products (AirWire)

If they answer the phone, not only do they not have better news, but honestly all people will be doing is screaming at them. Also these are more than one-man shows, so they have probably had to lay off office staff.

So, I would probably do the same, not answer the phone. You just have to wait. If you cannot wait, do something else. Give these guys a break, they are clearly much worse off than us, who clearly have money to spend.

Back to the original question: Would I go RailPro?

No, because I don't like:
  1. touchscreen interfaces (they make me look at the screen, not the train)
  2. controller that needs 2 hands
  3. too many menus vs dedicated buttons
  4. anything less than the best sound, the top companies record their own sounds
  5. paying extra to buy their DCC interface AND a DCC decoder (higher cost)
  6. "direct" radio to loco.... one of the key benefits of a "command station" is that it knows what ALL locos are doing and WHO is running them, this has many benefits when handing off trains to other users, the benefit of an all stop, avoids duplicate loco names/numbers, etc.
RailPro on the other hand has several other clever ideas, and the graphics interface and menus may help people. Since I already understand the basics of DCC and basic CVs, this buys me nothing, but could be very advantageous to people who don't want to learn the basics.

So, for me, a definite no. If you don't need super fancy features, then the basic DCC works fine and the rest is fluff. I used an NCE system for years and was very happy.

Greg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Unfortunately for us, everything will be done via touch screen before too long
Not in my world for running trains it wont. Tried it when my mate got CS2 system and hated it. But back to Railpro, I imagine they (as well as Airwire and likely all DCC businesses) like many worldwide big and small businesses are suffering from Semi Conductor (Chips if you like) shortages that are affecting pretty much all Industry just now.

mcbunton1

Registered
13 Feb 2023
lamar, mo
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure if this site let's you post on old topics? But if so, I would comment that I love my Railpro system, I have dead rail, battery powered on over 600 ft of outdoor track, control numerous trains at one time, control 16 turnouts, all from one controller that I can carry as I wander around or sit in my lawn chair. The only wires anywhere on my layout are between the AM-1's and the turnouts each one controls. And the ability to create consists of any or all of my locos at one time, seems unparalleled compared to anything else I have read about.