Rail-Ex 2020

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
A train show, a real live trains show, with thousands of visitors. Yes folks, that's what we have just closed up on at our local Stadium.

Rail-Ex 2020 (the New Zealand version) was a roaring success, well the echo continues tomorrow as we are doing a 'community service ' event for some of the schools.

Here's some of my pics from today.

DSC_0968.JPG

Best put this up first (to curry favour with you blokes), the Wellington Garden Railway Group. All photos taken in down time, by the way... too busy when the punters were in.

DSC_0969.JPG

This little cameo was placed to attract maximum attention (hence the photo). HO scale.

DSC_0970.JPG

Missing, one letter from HMQ. Yes, 100 years old, Hornby. In the box at the front was an actual 100 year old train set.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
But wait, there's more (do you fellows get that on your TV ads?)

DSC_0972.JPG

Some of the European fans lugged this 100 miles to exhibit at the show.

DSC_0974.JPG

From a first time exhibitor, a spot of freelance BR, called Loch Doone Railway. 'Well, I finished it in the lockdown', he told me.

DSC_0975.JPG

... and an old favourate, with a new addition. I'd repaired the water vat, and rather than box it up again (to only get broken, again), I mounted it on the layout.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Nice collection of pics, we are missing shows over here in U.K. at the moment. Who knows when they will start up again?

Reactions: 1 user

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Finally, a few shots for the family album.

DSC_0977.JPG

G3, and my display (all 5 tables).

DSC_0979.JPG

G4 mastering the controls of the kiddies U-Drive Marklin layout.

DSC_0980.JPG

G1 and GF, both graduated College last week. Layout is from 'overseas'..... 250 miles away.

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Nice collection of pics, we are missing shows over here in U.K. at the moment. Who knows when they will start up again?

Boy, it was a close run thing. We were always on the alert for a last minute close down (things happen rather fast over here). Got home Friday evening from show set up, and the TV was 'Breaking News" on a fresh Covid case, 400 miles away thank goodness, and we expected an instant alert level change...... which, fortunately, didn't come.

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
You know you've 'made it' in this hobby when a well respected member of the fraternity stops you, and says 'Your badge is wrong, you are not an exhibitor, you are an exhibitionist'.

Hello mate, .... good bye mate.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
So that's what a model railway exhibition is! You know, it's been so long I'd forgotten. :(

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Nice to see what the "new normal", if we ever get there. And many thanks for the photos.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nicely done Gavin!

The last exhibition we attended was in March (place), in March (month)....

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Right, Monday morning, breakfast all done, now off into the depths...... 5 school loads of 'visitors' coming in the Rail-Ex Plus today.
This will be a new experience. Mind you, I've been a school bus driver in my time, so I'm partially bullet proof, just worrying about my fellow exhibitors.
A goodly percentage of the layouts have stayed behind for this community service, traders have all gone back to the quiet life in country suburbia, with their two customers a week.

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Good fortune

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
... all that remains of Rail-Ex 2020, is the wait for the cheque in the mail (well, e-mail request for bank details).

A small 'after match' function at the local bar, ended up being a running session at Taita Gorge. One suggests an early night, afterall, some of us have jobs to go to in the morning.

All up, a fantastic weekend.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Last nights post aftermatch running session ended with a rather embarrassing derailment during pack up. GD hit the wrong button on the TE controller, and in the worst possible place, we had a pinch off' derailment. Clean up resulted in one dislodged LGB coupler (screw hole mount had 'worn')...... then said GD pressed more wrong buttons, and unlinked the receiver. Grandad has 'forgotten' how to do the relink without recourse to the instructions. All day worrying at work whether I was going to get it to work, again. Got home, read the instructions.... we have control, again.

Now, if the garage was a mess when I was 'doing trains', you want to see it now. SWMBO has started doing Christmas while I was at the show.... say no more.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Now, if the garage was a mess when I was 'doing trains', you want to see it now. SWMBO has started doing Christmas while I was at the show.... say no more
Folks he's mentioned the C Word o_O

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
He is forgiven as he gave us the normality of a Model Railway show to drool over.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag

Only 'cause someone else has mentioned it already this season, .... I think (somebody better have, or I'm in trouble here, besides, hasn't Boris cancelled Christmas this year?).

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Only 'cause someone else has mentioned it already this season, .... I think (somebody better have, or I'm in trouble here, besides, hasn't Boris cancelled Christmas this year?).
You were definitely not the first though I cant put my finger on the one who was as I forget who it was.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
That's no excuse at all! Where would we be if we all did things just because someone else has?