Rack on Track

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
One of my initial thoughts was to name my railway the Rack and Ruin Railway and it has turned out prophetic at least as far as the rack section is concerned.
I have spent ages trying different alignments both vertical and lateral until finally I got the structure in place as I wanted.
A fundamental part of the layout is a large metal bridge which was the first thing I positioned to pass over the main track and ensure that the gradient from the start of the line was manageable by the locos.
I bought the bridge and a rack loco from someone who had used them together. The clearances for locos and coaches are very tight but on a trial run I found they were adequate.
Imagine my aggravation :mad::mad::mad: when on the first test run I discovered that the baggage car , which I had not thought to test has steps which make it wider than either and I will have to remove the bridge and rebuild it!
To add to the annoyance, despite using conductive paste and Hillman clamps throughout the track conductivity is hopeless and I have several dead spots.:wits:
It has not been a good day. :crying::crying::crying:

DoctorM

Interests: Manifold
2 Jan 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
Re:Rack n Ruin

Probably a stupid question, but wouldn't it be easier to remove the steps from the baggage car (or make narrower ones) than to rebuild the bridge?

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

DoctorM said:
Probably a stupid question, but wouldn't it be easier to remove the steps from the baggage car (or make narrower ones) than to rebuild the bridge?
No it's not a stupid question, I did consider it but I don't want to hack them, it would mean cutting 6 lots of steps on two baggage cars. I am more likely to make a hash of that than the bridge.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

Continuity problem solved by replacing a section of Accucraft track with LGB. The Hillman clamps obviously don't like the Accucraft profile where there is a change in gradient,
All I have to do now is rip out the bridge and widen it.:impatient:

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

Bridge removed. rebuilt and replaced.
Well, I'm happy!:D

Netty

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Leyland, Lancashire
Best answers

Any pictures Keith? Of the railway, that is!

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

Netty said:
Any pictures Keith? Of the railway, that is!
It is still a bit skeletal Dave espec after ripping up the track to rebuild the bridge but I will post some after I have grovelled on my belly under the trees to build the lowest section.
Enjoyed your Hungarian pics BTW.
I have dug out a few more Polish preserved loco pics which I might bore you with sometime.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

The story so far, I seem to have been beset by setbacks the first being a silly one where i failed to check that all the rolling stock could negotiate the metal bridge. Consequently, I had to remove it - I had started to build the rest of the line around it. It is now back in place suitably widened.
Next, I found that the Plasticote paint colour I had selected is no longer available at Wilkies, annoying when I had sprayed most of the second bridge - if you use their paint check that the shade you want it is still stocked especially after Wilkies have completed their store reorganisations. I have had to use a couple of alternatives from Halfords.
The next setback was that a Hospital appointment last Thursady ended up as a 2 day marathon followed by 1/2 day recovery!
The final one was finding that the numerous rocks I had secured from son No 1 had been 'requisitioned' by HWMBO and so it all looks a bit bare for the moment.
Still things are more or less back on track (sorry).
I had aspirations for something much longer but it will have to await my negotiating the relocation of several compost bins!
af23e71618d3495da81b8bd7ba7f4e59.jpg

f0c53c22b085435099b4f19e13fd522c.jpg

2a8d24cab846466488a37ebc58ad852a.jpg

09549639e14f4c73bc389119416aa526.jpg

f2a8029ee5db4c2aa8ae2a9b739a121a.jpg

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag

Wow that looks Brilliant Keith :clap:

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

Looks good Keith.Is the transition to flat ok at the top, only it looks a bit knife edge. Or is it just the picture. Just trying to visualise the Ballenberg go over it

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

It's fine Phil, I got the vertical curve in the middle of a length of rail. I found the bigger problem at the bottom of the grade where I used a combination of short lengths of track, Accucraft which I will replace with LGB, and an upward curved section of track.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

Philbahn said:
Looks good Keith.Is the transition to flat ok at the top, only it looks a bit knife edge. Or is it just the picture. Just trying to visualise the Ballenberg go over it

The Ballenburg is a remarkable loco there is a huge amount of built-in play both vertically and laterally.
b1d4841f49404b0b83d4b8f9f6271641.jpg

52df337823ea458b809cf723d872f7ad.jpg

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

Is there a rope pulling that up:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Looks fine with the loco on it.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

Philbahn said:
Is there a rope pulling that up:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Looks fine with the loco on it.

A cableway is beyond my limited abilities.:)
Originally I had it shallower than that but the Stainz romped up it!

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Remarkable pictures! :clap:

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

whatlep said:
Remarkable pictures! :clap:

Remarkable that I got to the stage of taking them!
The pictures flatter, it is very rudimentary.