R/c points controller

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I thought some of you might be interested in the r/c points controller which I`ve just completed (with much valuable assistance from Greg H and from David T at Deltang).

I`m slowly moving over to battery radio control from DCC and was wondering if there might be a way for me to control some of the more remote turnouts on my railway. Initially, they were switched with LGB motors controlled via hard wiring from a box in the outhouse. I then replaced the manual switches with DCC points controllers. I was looking for a way of replacing these with something radio controlled.
1-IMG_6915.JPG

From Deltang I got a Tx27 points control transmitter kit which I made up, putting the switches on the box in positions roughly equivalent to their locations on my railway
1-IMG_6781.JPG

I then made a relay board which is controlled by a Picaxe project board (many thanks to Greg H for the guidance he provided on programming this and helping me understand how to wire it up). The Picaxe board is connected to a Deltang Rx105 receiver. The Picaxe  takes the signal from the receiver and then, depending on which way the switch on the tx is pointing, tells a DPDT relay to switch before then sending a pulse of 12v to the relevant point motor though one of the SPST relays. All this is powered from an old Scalextric 12v transformer via a power supply (thanks again to Greg H for his guidance on this).
1-IMG_6918-labelled.jpg

My six more-difficult-to-reach points are now operated through the tx (which can control up to seven outputs).

BTW. The Deltang controller is designed to be used directly with servos and/or to switch on and off LEDs etc - no need for all the extra hardware. I just wanted it to control the existing point motors I already had in-situ. I could have replaced the LGB point motors with servos - but this seemed a lot more interesting.

Thanks again to Greg for guiding me through this and to David T at Deltang for answering my very basic questions.

Rik

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Great admiration, Rik - I've just about got my head around DCC, but this sort of stuff is above my pay grade..... ;)

Jon.

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent stuff Rik,
Do you push a button on the Tx to transmit or just flick the switches on and off ?

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Dtsteam said:
Do you push a button on the Tx to transmit or just flick the switches on and off ?
No, just flick the switch - the position of the switch indicates the direction the point has been switched. The push-button is for binding the transmitter to the receiver (the other button is the on-off switch for the tx)

It probably would have been a lot easier to have replaced each point motor with a servo, but as all the wiring was already there for the point motors, I wanted something which I could just slot in place of the points decoders.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Quite cost-effective overall

The Picaxe project board = £5.70
Picaxe chip = £2.40
Deltang rx = £12.00
Deltang tx kit = £22.00
6 x SPST relays = £0.48
1 x DPDT relay = £3.99
Electronics bits = approx £5.00
Postage etc. = approx £5.00

Total cost = £56.57

Which I think is about the cost of one DCC points decoder (which controls only four points)

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
I've just about got my head around DCC, but this sort of stuff is above my pay grade..... ;)

Jon.
Jon
Surprisingly easy - especially when you've got someone like Greg watching over your shoulder (metaphorically).

Rik

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
ge_rik said:
Jon
Surprisingly easy - especially when you've got someone like Greg watching over your shoulder (metaphorically).

Rik
Good to see another picaxe devotee appearing. Actually Rik didn't need much help at all with the picaxe programming, which illustrates that it is pretty easy to pick up.
Hope you can come up with some other uses for picaxe too.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
gregh said:
Good to see another picaxe devotee appearing. Actually Rik didn't need much help at all with the picaxe programming, which illustrates that it is pretty easy to pick up.
Hope you can come up with some other uses for picaxe too.
I must admit there is a certain thrill when you download a program to the Picaxe and see it going through a sequence of actions which you've instructed it to do. I've only scratched the surface with this project - but it seems to have the potential for virtually any automated system we might need on a railway - and surprisingly cheap!

Rik