R/C for automated flagman?

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
I am planning a small cameo scene of a flagman at the door of a lineside hut. I already have the flagman - a modified Phoenix figure with moveable arm. His arm moves up and down by means of a wire that connects to a motor removed from a Piko gravel works building. This motor is a Buhler 18volt but realistic arm waving speed is achieved at about 8 volts. I will be using a 6xAA battery box hidden in the lineside hut. I could just put an on/off switch on the side of the hut but remote control would be much better. Would this gadget do the job? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-12V-LED-Daytime-Running-Light-DRL-Relay-Remote-Control-On-Off-Switch-UK-/161265943286?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item258c3302f6

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Ross, I have ordered one. I'll see how it goes.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I was going to suggest a different way of doing it.. But as your profile gives no clue as to whether you run DC or DCC at all, and the unit is dirt cheap, then go for it!

KandNWLR

Live steam on the indoor K&NWLR
18 Dec 2011
Alsace
www.youtube.com
Best answers
At 18 volts, I would imagine man-powered flight would be possible .... :eek:

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Received the unit today. Have just carried out a quick test and it works as advertised (although I have not tested the range yet). It comes with a very generous quantity of cable too, so a bit of a bargain I think. It has 2 outputs so maybe the flagman could pick his nose with one hand whilst waving his flag with the other...or is that one of those things that is not humanly possible???

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP said:
I was going to suggest a different way of doing it.. But as your profile gives no clue as to whether you run DC or DCC at all, and the unit is dirt cheap, then go for it!

I run DCC but when I am running live steam/battery locos I sometimes run with no track power as I have a couple of items with uninsulated wheels. That's why I fancied a self contained battery powered cameo of the flagman in front of a lineside hut that conceals and protects the electrics. It will be small enough to take inside when not in use.