Problems with Massoth Decoders running in Analog

NeilRhB

Registered
6 Apr 2011
Best answers
Hello, my first post on GScaleCentral :wave:

I've been successfully running Digital using XLS sound decoders for several years now with no problems.

However I have fitted some XLS in a friend's LGB Amtrack locos which he will be running on analog. In Digital operation they run perfectly with no problems at all but in Analog the results are dissapointing. :(

Here are the problems:

1. Running Analog nothing happens until about 10 volts is supplied. This is quite different to the "fully functional with as little as 5V track voltage" as stated in the xls manual.

2. If 10 volts is applied, the sound cuts in and out quickly until about 11 volts is applied. This is quite unpleasant and it is at the point you want the sound of idling without the motor moving. Note that this seems specific to the "Amtrack" decoders as all of my "RhB" decoders do not do this. Again, running Digital there is no problem.

3. Running Analog the horn doesn't sound as it drives off. Note that running Digital it does sound as it drives off. All of my XLS "RhB" decoders sound the horn in both Analog and Digital.

note: All the problems above occur even if I connect the decoder directly to the track and an LGB motor unit (thus eliminating any LGB electronics)

Please can anyone advise if any of the above can be fixed. I consider my knowledge of DCC to be fairly advanced :nerd: and I have tried various CVs that might improve things but with no luck.

Thanks,
Neil

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Neil welcome.
It's a long shot but on the XLS appendix 2 theres an analogue load control CV have you tried this

NeilRhB

Registered
6 Apr 2011
Best answers
Hi,

Yes I have tried that, no difference at all.

Neil

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I have given up trying to use a Massoth decoder on Analogue. Whilst they are made by the same firm that make LGB decoders they are not the same & do not perform very well on DC.
If you read the instructions (very difficult for simpletons to understand) the start volts & a few others do not apply on analogue. I have found that LGB are the only ones that give true DCC/DC compatability.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Ello
I assume you've checked the start voltages set etc?

Sounds a bit bizarre and specific to this chip just like the waiting time on the ESU chip in my Heidi that you're familiar with.

Maybe if all else fails try an ESU chip. Sorry all I can think of.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Neil,
Welcome....

Can you provide me with the Massoth part number (8220049 maybe?) and I will load the relevant sounds into a spare XLS and run it up on my test rig and see if the problems you are having can be replicated.

What is the value of CV7 (firmware version) and the value of CV106 & the value of CV?

NeilRhB

Registered
6 Apr 2011
Best answers
muns said:
Hi Neil,
Welcome....

Can you provide me with the Massoth part number (8220049 maybe?) and I will load the relevant sounds into a spare XLS and run it up on my test rig and see if the problems you are having can be replicated.

What is the value of CV7 (firmware version) and the value of CV106 & the value of CV?
Mark,

Yes the part number is 8220049.

CV7 = 26
CV106 = 202

Thanks,
Neil

NeilRhB

Registered
6 Apr 2011
Best answers
PaulRhB said:
I assume you've checked the start voltages set etc?

Hi Paul,

Yes but I think Start Voltage (CV2) and the other CVs that affect the speed curve are only effective in Digital operation.

Borne out by the fact that I did alter them and it didn't make any difference on Analog when I changed them!

Cheers,
Neil

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I am surprised there is a problem with the Mssoth dcoder on analogue.
I have a Saxon-Meyer fitted with a Massoth unit - the type with a manual volume control, I don't know its Mdel No as I didn't fit it.
I ran it for over a year on analogue with no problem other than when used with someone's MTS system it was left with steam chest noises until I could get it reset.
Not all the sounds were available on analogue but the starting whistle, chuff and brake sounds worked fine.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, due to work commitments, i have not managed to test an XLS decoder on my test rig yet, though I have looked an XLS out and connected it to the rig ready for programming ;)