Powering a Raspberry PI on train to play custom MP3's

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, I'm new to the world of model trains and brand new to this forum so forgive me if this has been asked before.

I have just received an LGB Chloe which I would like to add some sounds to (ideally I would like to play the loop of the Disneyland park train). I'm pretty confident with a Raspberry PI (I'm a software developer) and I believe I can get it to do exactly what I want - play a constant soundtrack and control whistle/steam sounds from my phone. However, I'm stuck with how to power it, or how to install it.

I am running analogue so would need some way of passing a consistent 5v 150mA, I'm not even sure if that is possible? Once I've solved that problem how do you typically install these things onto the train, would it typically all be mounted in a wagon/caboose or somehow mount it into the body of the Chloe?

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
A number of analogue track power locos with sound have either a 9v battery, or a capacitor system to provide the 5v until track power reaches this.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I would have thought you biggest issue would be fitting the RP in the Cloe?

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
A number of analogue track power locos with sound have either a 9v battery, or a capacitor system to provide the 5v until track power reaches this.
Do you happen to have anything you could point me to for the capacitor system?

I would have thought you biggest issue would be fitting the RP in the Cloe?
It’s a PI Zero with an audio hat. I’m not 100% sure of what space I have once I take the Chloe apart but it should fit in the wood box at the back as long as I can get power from the track. Otherwise my backup plan (with batteries) is a dedicated wagon.

No idea where I fit the speaker with the first option though?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, have you a name we can use? The only thing about soft ware is that if I do anything with it, it don't work! But... there's plenty of people on here who will advise you

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, have you a name we can use? The only thing about soft ware is that if I do anything with it, it don't work! But... there's plenty of people on here who will advise you
Hi, sorry forgot to say at the start it’s Daniel.

I already have the software, last year I converted my back garden shed into a tiki bar which syncs sound and lighting effects. It’s all powered of a Raspberry Pi.

I really need help with the electronics and the best way to put it all together.

Once it’s all done I can open source the software back to the community, if anyone is interested. The parts only cost £30 at the moment (if I have to use a battery then it would be another £20).

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You will need to clean-up, and regulate the supply from the track..

It will be electrically 'noisy' and have drop/brown-outs..

You will need to have a storage - system if you are DC, else when the train stops, so will your effects.

You can get small speakers, and they do not have to be round.

I would start by dragging it round in a wagon. Prove it all works, and then think about pulling the loco apart and fitting it all in.

PhilP.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
How about this little bloke, sounds like it is made for the job?
You could run the charge cable to the outside of the loco and charge insitu
Fit the speaker under the cab roof similar to the LGB Stainz maybe?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Do you happen to have anything you could point me to for the capacitor system?

It’s a PI Zero with an audio hat. I’m not 100% sure of what space I have once I take the Chloe apart but it should fit in the wood box at the back as long as I can get power from the track. Otherwise my backup plan (with batteries) is a dedicated wagon.

No idea where I fit the speaker with the first option though?
Yes sometimes it is a trial to fit everything in. Though Piko the 25ton er I converted to Battery Power was a real trial even though Piko do a. Eatery option of it, it is all the other bits like receiver, sound, wiring, batteries and speaker that can be a job to fit in. My conversion link below will show some of the issues and how I sorted them, as I said Cloie is a small beast, probably smaller than the 25tonner.

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
How about this little bloke, sounds like it is made for the job?
You could run the charge cable to the outside of the loco and charge insitu
Fit the speaker under the cab roof similar to the LGB Stainz maybe?
That’s a great idea, I might be able to find one to fit in the front of the Chloe.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Could anyone point me to where I could get the the steam and whistle sounds which would be correct for the Chloe?

Everything has arrived and I’m just writing the software. Trying to figure out how to get the whistle button to work to produce a sustained whistle while the button is pressed.

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag