Power supply quandry for DCC

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
For the time being I hope to use my LGB 50110 20 volt AC transformer to power my new Piko DCC setup, when it arrives next week. I know on the transformer that one uses the AC terminals marked '3' and '4' with the AC current symbol linking them when used for analogue purposes such as powering switch machines, etc. However, on my LGB #55045 decoder programmer, the supplied brochure shows the wires connected to the centre two terminals, one 'white' and one 'black' (these are not linked pairs). I have used these two centre terminals numerous times when reprogramming the LGB 65XXX series digital sound decoders. Is this correct, for DCC, or is the photograph in the brochure merely symbolic and not factual? The supplied brochure is very, very basic in information supplied.
I checked the database for connecting the #50110 transformer and for lights and switch machine operation it shows wires connected to 'linked' pairs . For connection to a central station it shows the AC wires connected to the centre two terminals on the face of the transformer and NOT 'linked' pairs of terminals. This is my problem - which is correct for DCC connection to central station?
following is a statement from the LGB database for connecting wires to the face of the #50110 transformer, making no mention of 'linked' pairs, just to connect one wire to a terminal marked '3' and the other wire to a terminal marked '4'.'

[size=12pt][size=12pt]
"Connect the transformer using​
the spring-loaded terminals on​
the rear of the transformer (Fig.​
2). Connect one wire to a "3" terminal​
and the other wire to a "4"​
terminal. Push the button on the​
terminal and insert the wire in the​
hole."
[/size][/size]

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Further to above, as well as powering my central station, I was hoping to use the #50110 to power my LGB switch machines. If I am using the two centre terminals (NOT linked) as mentioned above to power a central station, can I use a linked pair on the same transformer to power the switch machines?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I guess one of the terminals is a common one, although I don't know which one, so you should be able to use terminals 2-3 for your PIKO Central Station and 3-4 for powering the switch machines.

As my point motors (switch machines) are operated via a decoder, I only have my LGB Central Station connected to 2-3....

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Many thanks. I had looked at figure 2 and that was the problem. The face connections show a 'linked' pair for lights and switch machine connection, but illustrations for connecting to DCC central station show wires connected to the two centre terminals (one black and one white).

The connections on my #50110 are slightly different in that the two linked pairs are shown (with '20V' inside the alternating current symbol) but there are no symbols for lights and switches.