Power buffer connection

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
I am going to fit a power buffer to a LGB type '1' decoder, #55020. I run reduced voltage for 5 volt lighting. Will I need to increase the decoder voltage to full track voltage to get the buffer to charge?

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Tim Brien said:
I am going to fit a power buffer to a LGB type '1' decoder, #55020. I run reduced voltage for 5 volt lighting. Will I need to increase the decoder voltage to full track voltage to get the buffer to charge?

No, as you can't work the buffer off the lighting connections. Use the terminals marked U+ and GND in the 55020's connection diagram.
Why you would want to use a 55020 is a mystery though. Very crude by today's standards and no back-EMF provided. A Massoth L (or an XL) would be infinitely better.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Steve,
basically, I purchased many years ago a Frank 'S' that came new with two type '1' decoders. I removed them as I intended fitting a Massoth 'LS' and 'L' decoders. The two leftover type '1' decoders received new homes as while I consider them crude they still actually do the job and save me outlaying $120 for a new Massoth 'L'.

I did not intend using 'lighting' connections, but as the buffer needs to be fitted to the 'D+' and 'D-' connections, the pin arrangement on the Massoth 'L' is the same as the type '1', #55020, so with three 'Dek +' connections on the decoder, then my question was aimed more at what happens to the 'Dek +' connectors when lighting/smoker voltage is reduced below track voltage to accomodate low voltage lighting. Do all 'Dek +' connectors reduce in value on the decoder? The 'Dek +' and 'Dek -' fittings that I need to access are either side of the 'F1' function connector on the decoder.
As the Massoth 'L' and type '1' are physically similar, then in the future I can simply swap out the type '1' and replace with an 'L'. Right now there is no justification as the current decoder works just fine. My trackwork is dead level, so no real need for the back emf feature.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Tim Brien said:
my question was aimed more at what happens to the 'Dek +' connectors when lighting/smoker voltage is reduced below track voltage to accomodate low voltage lighting. Do all 'Dek +' connectors reduce in value on the decoder? The 'Dek +' and 'Dek -' fittings that I need to access are either side of the 'F1' function connector on the decoder.

No. The various CV values for voltage only affect the F1 pin and the L1/L2 pins all of which are the -ve side of the connection, by the way. All the U+/decoder +ve pins are in common and, like the GND/decoder -ve pin are at full voltage, albeit rectified. Have a play with your multimeter!
Peter Whatley

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Peter,
many thanks.